Results 8,371 to 8,380 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    27/38/42
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchyM View Post
    Buildup absolutely can create the issues you're describing. I've had it happen before, for sure, even when I stay away from butters and oils, which can definitely make it worse. Supposedly your hair can start getting floofy and shapeless because your strands are sealed by build-up, and water can't get inside, so no matter how much conditioner or water you apply, it just gets dryer.

Having curly/wavy hair is so - complex, sometimes.

See, my hair craves protein, but I also dye it pretty regularly! It's taken me probably a year and a half to establish my clarify-protein-Olaplex sequence when I'm having curl troubles.

Anyway! I totally hear you on the backpack straps. I'm still training myself to get my hair out of the way.
    Back again after a few weeks of experimenting, and I think I found the magic combination for getting back all my curlies. All the suggestions for clarifying really worked. I think my hair had just gradually gotten built up from hard water and needed a really good scrub. Now I've been shampooing more often and then finger coiling when it's wet. I've had two weeks straight of perfect wash day curls(they go into a bun second day and stay there until next wash day). Not to sound vain or anything, but I got so many compliments on my hair and someone called me a curly repunzle! After so much frustration with my hair, it feels so good to feel pretty again.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

For people who follow curly girl or similar haircare/styling methods - what is the texture of your hair like?? Not curl texture, but like.. actual touch texture. I've tried many different silicone-free products, I've tried coconut oils, leave-in-conditioners, and hair gels. But no matter what I do my hair just feels.. really gross. It looks good, feels gross, tacky, dirty, and/or crunchy. If I reduce the amount of product I use, it just doesn't do anything and my hair looks frizzy and awful. I'm so frustrated with my hair, and I've been trying to embrace my curls but I'm so tired of trying to cope with it I'm close to just cutting it to shoulder length and straightening it, because straight hair is the only way I feel good about myself right now.

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ebillan View Post
    For people who follow curly girl or similar haircare/styling methods - what is the texture of your hair like?? Not curl texture, but like.. actual touch texture. I've tried many different silicone-free products, I've tried coconut oils, leave-in-conditioners, and hair gels. But no matter what I do my hair just feels.. really gross. It looks good, feels gross, tacky, dirty, and/or crunchy. If I reduce the amount of product I use, it just doesn't do anything and my hair looks frizzy and awful. I'm so frustrated with my hair, and I've been trying to embrace my curls but I'm so tired of trying to cope with it I'm close to just cutting it to shoulder length and straightening it, because straight hair is the only way I feel good about myself right now.
    Hello ebillan, I'm not a curly, but I hate styling products feeling in my hair. Did you try flax seed gel? That's literally the only "styling" thing that make hair feel better (softer/ silkier); also recommended by curlies I know IRL.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Hello ebillan, I'm not a curly, but I hate styling products feeling in my hair. Did you try flax seed gel? That's literally the only "styling" thing that make hair feel better (softer/ silkier); also recommended by curlies I know IRL.
    I haven't tried it! Do you buy yours or make it? I don't know anything about flaxseed gel so I did a quick google search, and there are so many recipes!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

That is actually the reason I don't follow the CGM. I persisted for years, but it's just not for me and I didn't like the feel of my hair. Nowadays: gentle sulfate shampoos agree with my curls, I find gels are too heavy for styling and I usually go without conditioner in the shower (prefer a leave-in after). I prefer a light styling lotion (Joico Joilotion is my HG!!) and a minimalist routine. Honestly, if I don't keep it simple I am tempted to cut too. I just don't have time for elaborate routines.

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I haven't tried it! Do you buy yours or make it? I don't know anything about flaxseed gel so I did a quick google search, and there are so many recipes!
    It's easy to make. I find this tutorial best - just flax seeds and water and good tips for straining it

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I believe that my hair texture has changed a lot since my big chop in Jan. 2020.

This was my hair in Jan. of 2019:

It was always really thin at the bottom. Nothing seemed to help. My hair did not respond to CGM or really any curly styling. I tried but it just did not turn out. I was able to achieve minor waves but it was really just, flat and limp. It did not look good, at all, imo.

In 2020 I cut my hair off into a mullet and coincidentally cut off most of the bleach/damaged hair.

Its still thin at the bottom, most likely because my hair was layered. But I noticed that in 2020, while it has not grown a ton visually to me, I believe I am just experiencing a lot more shrinkage than normal due to my curl type seemingly changing?

This is from september 2019:

While my hair was slightly improving in curl and texture/moisture, my hair has never been as curly as it is now.

I cant tell if this is because I cut all the length off or if its because im using silicones and different products now. I dont know. My hair looks crazy right now but theres not much I can do so I just put it up until it grows back... Im sort of debating on cutting to shoulder length and taking off the rest of this thin wispy-ness at the bottom but I cant bring myself to lose more hair.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Coconut oil is known to cause crunchy hair for some people! Personally, olive oil makes my hair feel greasy, but castor oil soaks in (it just disappears and feels nice). So you might need a different kind of oil? :) Maybe something very light. You also don't have to avoid silicones, unless you prefer that. I don't use it at the moment, but for example Biosilk Silk Therapy serum worked really well for my hair (smoothing it down without feeling tacky).
    Hair gel is also very easy to overuse and builds up easily; have you tried light curl creams, or mousses? I find mousse to leave the least residue, so if I use the right amount, I can't feel it in my hair but it still holds.
    I hope you find something that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    I believe that my hair texture has changed a lot since my big chop in Jan. 2020.(...)
    My texture changes a lot with bleach and length (both making it significantly looser), but it can also naturally change over time so maybe you are experiencing a combination of all these factors? If I were you, I would consider a chop to get a nice, even starting length, but good luck no matter what you decide to do. :)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    Coconut oil is known to cause crunchy hair for some people! Personally, olive oil makes my hair feel greasy, but castor oil soaks in (it just disappears and feels nice). So you might need a different kind of oil? Maybe something very light. You also don't have to avoid silicones, unless you prefer that. I don't use it at the moment, but for example Biosilk Silk Therapy serum worked really well for my hair (smoothing it down without feeling tacky).
    Hair gel is also very easy to overuse and builds up easily; have you tried light curl creams, or mousses? I find mousse to leave the least residue, so if I use the right amount, I can't feel it in my hair but it still holds.
    I hope you find something that works for you!

My texture changes a lot with bleach and length (both making it significantly looser), but it can also naturally change over time so maybe you are experiencing a combination of all these factors? If I were you, I would consider a chop to get a nice, even starting length, but good luck no matter what you decide to do.
    I don't plan to cut it any time soon. After cutting about 12"+ of hair off, I am already pretty upset. Maybe at the end of the year, we will see. My hair is slow to grow. Takes a full year to get around 4", maybe if that. I do scalp massages now, so maybe after my last chop, things will improve. But I just cant bare the thought of cutting the 3" that needs to go cause it could take me a full year to gain it back.

Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Here is my hair today after cutting 1" off (second day hair so my curls have flattened) but theres only a slight improvement.

I know if I cut off like 4" it would look thicker, but I just dont think it would be worth it.