Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friends List?

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Friends List?

Okay, I noticed that the new features of the board include something called a Contacts & Friends List. Uh... what's it for, exactly? I'm glad there are people asking to be my friend (and of course I won't refuse anyone, so c'mon over!). But I'm confused. What does being on someone's Friends List actually do? If I accept someone as a friend, does that mean I'm automatically on their Friends List as well? Should I collect Friends like candy and then store them all in a shiny Popularity Box? After 100 Friends, does that mean I get the status SuperCool and my own virtual sunglasses?

I don't do FaceBook and I don't have any active online blogs either, so I'm thinking this is might be the same sort of thing. I'm kind of an online social networking introvert. Please use small words when you explain. Thanks!
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

It's quite like you described. (Save for the collecting, storing and sunglasses. )
    Also, you can set your blog and photo albums to contacts-only. This offers a new level of privacy that the old version of LHC lacked.

Make sense?
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm like you, Wavelength. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing. However if you do want some measure of privacy, you might want to make your blog or your photo gallery friends-only. Also, if your friends go the private route, you'll still have access.

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thank you Wavelength for asking my question. I was amazed like "wow I have friends, wait how many friends is normal?" It felt like high school again.....eeeewwww!

Lady Dawn Nova Painter of Souls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

But...but...I want sunglasses!
    I expect them in the mail by tomorrow.

As snowbear & franny have both stated, the friends list is there to give you more control over who sees your blog & photo album.
    If you set them to "contacts/friends only", then only the people on your list will be able to access your blog & photo album.

You also have the option to allow comments.

Length
    2/69/70?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

It's not about popularity. The friends and contacts are used for setting your privacy choices - something each user gets to determine for herself.

Type
    2c/M/ii

What exactly is the difference between friends and contacts?

I've noticed one difference so far: friends show up in your profile, contacts don't.

I'm not sure what happens if you add someone as a contact - do they get a notice of that, for instance?

I've been adding a bunch of people as contacts rather than friends - mainly people who I thought might want to be able to read my blog (based on what I know of who read my journal on LHC before). The blog can be set to contacts-only, right, not friends-only.

It feels a bit weird to me to add dozens of people as friends, since I tend to reserve the term IRL for people very close to me and I can count my RL friends on the fingers of my 2 hands quite comfortably ;-). (ETA: I realize 'friend' is just a word, I'm just not sure what the word means in LHC context so I'm falling back on what it means to me IRL). But I may want to befriend people after all if it's substantially different from becontacting them. So what exactly are the differences?

Iris
    Last edited by iris; March 9th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks Iris. This is the question I have had in my mind also. Contacts vs. Friends. I am still not sure about how this works. So far the people in my friend folder I feel comfortable with. I am not seeing any mystery people.

Lady Dawn Nova Painter of Souls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I'm uneasy about the amount of information that could be public here, and so I'm planning to use my friends list to moderate some of my photo albums -- and also so that I can keep reading the private journals (now blogs) I enjoy if their owners restrict access to friends only.

My understanding is that the Contacts setting will also allow those people selected to view your more restricted info, but without flagging that or going through the, "Will You Be My Friend?" scenario.

I wonder -- is there a way to know on whose contact list you might be? If so, it's not obvious to me!

If this has been answered already I apologize...I am just still a little... (ok alot)confused on some of this Blogging stuff. Ok, like we had Public journals and Private journals on the old board & to view the Private you had to be here so long and have so many post etc. But with this blogging I guess we won't have like Public OR Private Blogging huh? So the only way its private is we have to use the setting and only the friends|contacts can view them and thats what makes it Private,.. is that right? If that is correct I guess there could be folks we would not really mind reading them ,..but if we forget to include their names I guess they would not be able to read them, is that correct.?
    I know there will be folks I really would not mind reading mine when I start one but I may not even know their names to even put them on the friends and contact lists. But I do know I would not want a totally public blog for sure.
    I kinda wish the blogs were like the journals and were just catorgrized Public Or Private Blogs and then could just block out whoever I wasn't comfortable with reading mine, but I know I will Unintentially leave some out that I would not mind reading mine when I make it private...lol, if I am even understanding this at all...I'm really not always this dense, but for some reason some of this just isn't clicking for me...so I need a really sweet, kind patient person to set me straight on this (if you can)

Remember I am 53 yrs old, not 20...and things take just a bit longer to sink in now I am finding, ...not to mention about 50 new meds the Dr's have me on now...lol

Thanks in advance kind person!!!!
    My Blog Hair..Life..Stuff..ummm Whatever!
    I cut my hair July/09 to grow out my dyed blonde hair and go all natural.