Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When planning a trip to the salon...

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default When planning a trip to the salon...

How do you prepare? I am planning on going to a salon (probably the only long hair salon I've heard of in England (Neil Ward and Patrick Ludde Salon), even though I know some people have had bad experiences there (e.g. they took off too much length), I think it is time I need to go get my hair professionally cut, and if they cut a bit more than I ask off, I won't be too fussed (this way they will be getting rid of more of my layers), and I know they are known to give one-length cuts. When you guys go to get a professional cut in the salon, what sort of things do you do before you get there?

Do you wash your hair the morning before you go/night before? I don't know if I want my hair washed there because I guess they probably use cone-products and hairdryers which I never use. How do you wear your hair before you go there? I want it to be in its natural state so the hairdresser can see exactly all the layers in my hair which bug me so much (rather than being artificially waved/bun waved/braid waved), but thenagain I'll be going all the way to London for the cut, so don't want to be sat on the train or going around London with my hair down. Perhaps just give in and get a cone-packed shampoo when I am there? How do you deal with it if you are a conditioner-only long hairer? Would you wash your hair CO before you arrive there or include a shampoo? I amCO in most of my washes, but like once a month I would use a mild cone-free shampoo 1st. When you get trims do you get your hair washed/wet or dry trim? Do you put your hair back up after you have had the trim and before you leave the salon? Sorry for so many questions, I haven't been to a professional salon in years, actually never since starting to grow long hair. My mums hairdresser used to come to the house. I'm a bit nervous, but know it is time to cut off my dry sundamaged ends. Any personal experiences would be really really helpful thanks guys
    Last edited by pdy2kn6; November 5th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    6/17/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Default Re: When planning a trip to the salon...

Good questions! I have been wondering some of the same things so I'll be watching this thread . I hope your salon visit goes well.

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I go there, and no I don't get my hair washed mainly because it's an issue of cost. I wash my hair the day before, or the day I go so that all the split ends are nice an prominent, and with my hair up. Then he puts my hair back up again afterwards. I also really need get my hair trimmed again. I have a 25% off card if you want it?

Length
    10/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I usually wash twice a week. I'd go to the hairdreser the day after washing as I'd consider it rude to have somebody handle my "well-it-really-needs-to-be-washed" hair.

I visit the hairdresser about 4 time a year and I submit to the cone-SLS-treatment... I really think it's not that big a deal. To me, it's more important they handle the hair carefully, i.e. no ripping, tearing, especially when the hair is wet.

I have finally found a hairdresser who handles the hair very gently - until finding her I used to ask for the brush and told them I'd like to brush it myself. Same with blowdrying afterwards: as long as the weather allows I'll leave the salon with wet hair. In winter, I'll ask for the hairdryer and do it myself (roots only, low setting, keep the hairdryer at distance).

I always take a ruler with me and show them "See, this is what I think is one inch..."

In addition, I make it very clear that I am fine if they cut too little, but that I won't return ever again if they cut more than we agreed. I'll watch the floor very closely for the cut ends, too.

Probably most salons consider me funny but really I don't care. I pay for a service and I'd like to get exactly what I want since this is not too hard to achieve.

Good luck!
    On ne naît pas femme, on le devient.
    - One is not born a woman, one becomes one -

Simone de Beauvoir

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I don't have any suggestions but please take a before and after photo so we can see the results. I'm considering the "take those layers out" cut as well but it would have me go from APL to shoulder length and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Juliette

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I wouldn't go with it hanging in greasey strings, but I do like to have my hair stylist wash my hair. She makes my scalp feel really good. I'm not fussy about products so that's not an issue. I think the most important thing is to make a firm decision about what you want and then stand up for yourself. Don't doze off in the chair and let him/her take 2 inches when you asked for 1/2 inch - pay attention, be firm. And if you don't want to have your hair washed and conditioned, do that yourself. They can wet it down without adding any product.

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I used to have a hairdresser that would be very accommodating. I would wash my hair right before I go in...comb it all out and put it up in a bun. When I get there, it's still wet. They let it out and comb through, cut a little off. I never have it blow dried. I put it back up and that's it.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I wash my hair the night before, even if he/she is going to wash it, just as a courtesy. I usually get a wet trim.

Here's a suggestion: Braid your hair, or put it up, or what have you on the way there, but bring a photograph of what your hair NORMALLY looks like so your stylist can see what your issues are.

ETA: Also, you can ask if there's any 'cone-free conditioners available. And seconded what spidermom said; be ever vigilant about how much they're trimming off. Don't just say, "I want half an inch removed". Show them with your hands so they're very clear on what you want.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I don't have any suggestions but please take a before and after photo so we can see the results. I'm considering the "take those layers out" cut as well but it would have me go from APL to shoulder length and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Juliette
    Me either... the longest layer is barely APL. When that layer gets to BSL i may leave it there until they all catch up.

Note to self: Bobs are EVIL, do not do that again! (i'm growing out an evil mom-bob that i thought was a good idea last year)
    "My religion is kindness." --the Dalai Lama

Lady Neaera of the Sunlit Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Is it not acceptable to wash your hair beforehand and if they want to wash it again there just take your own shampoo and conditioner with you and get them to use that?