Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm ready for another big hair change.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default I'm ready for another big hair change.

I've had dreadlocks for 3 months now, and this weekend I'm going to comb them out and cut my hair. I love everything about my locks, but these past few weeks have been really hard for me, what with personal issues and such and I really need a change. Plus, my roots are growing out and the color difference is really bothering me. It's like a big matted mass of brown with random red dreads growing out of it. So, I'm going to cut them, de-tangle, and then even it out.

I guess my hair will be just above shoulder length when I'm done with it. I've already given it the two week rule, and probably will start another set of locks, this time on shorter hair once the henna has all grown out. Locking up my previously waist length hair has been quite a challenge, and I think it would go much better if I started them shorter next time. I'll be back to post pictures before, during, and after once it happens! Thanks for stopping in
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    10/20/35
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    I've had dreadlocks for 3 months now, and this weekend I'm going to comb them out and cut my hair. I love everything about my locks, but these past few weeks have been really hard for me, what with personal issues and such and I really need a change. Plus, my roots are growing out and the color difference is really bothering me. It's like a big matted mass of brown with random red dreads growing out of it. So, I'm going to cut them, de-tangle, and then even it out.

I guess my hair will be just above shoulder length when I'm done with it. I've already given it the two week rule, and probably will start another set of locks, this time on shorter hair once the henna has all grown out. Locking up my previously waist length hair has been quite a challenge, and I think it would go much better if I started them shorter next time. I'll be back to post pictures before, during, and after once it happens! Thanks for stopping in
    Hi kwaniesiam,

Just so you know...you don't have to cut if you don't want to. I've heard of some women taking out there dreads by detangling with conditioner. It may take awhile but that's another option you can look into if you don't want to cut.

I'm sure you'll find info on it if you do an internet search.

best of luck!!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Good luck. I can't imagine having dreads, can't imagine how they feel. I find with my hair if I have my thin little night braid under me at all it disturbs my sleep - a lump! ... I feel like the Princess and the Pea!

Certainly understand about the color change, that might get annoying. Too bad you have to lose so much length.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I was going to suggest trying to take them out, I've heard of some success with this all over the net. I think some african american specialty salons can also un-dread.

If your going to cut anyway, it wouldnt matter if some damage happened if you tried it, right?
    Last edited by Kirin; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Kwaniesiam, how are you going to take out your dreads? This inquiring mind wants to know!
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You know what? I've been expecting this; don't know why. Best wishes; I hope you love the change.

Length
    pixie/bsl/bsl
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Good luck! Sometimes a change is just what we need.

~~CurlyNinja~~3A/M/ii~~

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

One thing I want to point out: you do not have to do all combing out in one session. You can just comb out one loc at a time, or half a loc if you want to.

About 20 years ago I tried to loc up my hair, and only made it about a week before changing my mind. I combed out all in one session, but it was like 8 hours and my skin was totally wrinkled. And my hair was not as long as yours is now.

Use loads of conditioner, and split up the sessions of combing, is what I would suggest. You may not have to cut as much as you now think.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

you make all of us who want waist length hair very say
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I was thinking about just combing out what I have, but I really need the cut as well. Ultimately I want my natural color back before I start over with a second set on shorter hair. I plan to just soak them in conditioner and detangle them one by one with a fine tooth comb.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!