Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Alternative Wash Dropouts

Default Calling All Alternative Wash Dropouts

Over the past year+ I have tried extended WO periods (up to 1 month, and that over a few months), then soapwart shampoos, first weekly then every third day...

I haven't seen any positive results... and I am thinking of going back to regular old CWC.

Has anyone else dropped out from regular use of an alternative wash method: CO, WO, herbal, etc?

Length
    16"/49+/-/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I COed for a long time after I came to LHC. Then pregnancy changed my hair and I went back to S&C. I tried COing again and my hair just didn't like it.

I have also tried washing with a homemade egg shampoo that I actually liked but it was not practical.
    Irishred@>--;-- 2a f/M ii

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've tried CO - sometimes it works and looks really good, sometimes hair goes all gunky and has to be put up for the day.

Tried shampoo bars/soap based - stringy, waxy hair

Best method for me is overnight oiling followed by S&C

Nothing wrong with a bit of shampoo, imo. There was a thread a while back with lots of people who had tried CO and given up - some had scalp issues. Another case of YMMV, I guess...

Length
    tailb/chin/???
    Type
    3a/C/iii

I was doing CO for easily 2+ years and suddenly my scalp got mad at me. So I've been CWCing with a teensy bit of Nature's Gate something-or-other that I grabbed out of desparation from the store. Scalp's happy again.
    Lady Delenn, Priestess of the Falling Stars in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/KL/Term
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

I did CO for a bit, WO for a very short while, shampoo bars for a while...
    I'm currently back to SC, sometimes just the shampoo! But now I use a sulfate free shampoo. It's just faster.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Hi, I'm definitely in.

I did WO for almost 9 months. Finally went back to CO because my ends always seemed to get dry so easily, and they usually ended up kinked, too. That and I wanted to not be afraid of chlorinated pools because I'd never get the chlorine out with WO. I miss the simplicity and freedom of WO, though, as well as the lack of frizz and incredibly low shed rate. I keep wondering if I should go back, modifying it to include occasional dilute conditioner.

ETA: Oh, yeah... I used shampoo bars for a few months, too. Having to bring vinegar with me when I traveled just wasn't my thing. I never found them that moisturizing, either. Not even CV's Honey Butter bar.
    Last edited by Anje; April 23rd, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Sometimes i get frustrated with herbal washing. Too much oil, or too little shikakai, or too little oil and too much herbs. Sometimes my hair is too dry from the herbs, then I'll compensate with oil and its too oily...etc...

Then I use shampoo because I know what the effects will be and its easy and always gets out the oil.

However, I've not gone back to conditioner. I think that will be a permanent ban. I prefer oil as long as I can get it out completely and not have stringy hair, which shampoo does if the herbs don't.

I'm like Delenn - I was sucessfully CO for over two years, until the conditioner that I was using started building up on my scalp. So now I'm back to shampooing twice a week, which makes for a much happier scalp!

Length
    16"/30"/????
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

I was WO for about 4 months?, I think. I liked the way it kept my frizz to a minmum, but my hair is so thin that I decided to go back to 'poo bars in order to gain much needed volume. So I traded frizz for volume. If my hair were thicker I think I would have stayed WO.
    ​something awful happened to my hair in 2012; never figured out what!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Um Enis View Post

Has anyone else dropped out from regular use of an alternative wash method: CO, WO, herbal, etc?
    Umm, all of them?

Most of the alternative methods leave my hair looking darker. CO leaves it looking redder, as does baking soda washing, herbs can over clean, shampoo bars leave it looking duller, and I never made it through the transition with WO (either time). Oh, and the last time I did egg washing, there was a lingering egg aroma, and I lost interest in trying to figure out a solution.

I'm back to my favorite liquid soap based shampoo, the one I keep returning to again and again. Like Leisa, I don't know if I'll return to conditioner, though. I haven't been able to find a natural one that I really like, and oil is working quite well for me. I might revisit some of the conditioners I have, just to make sure.