Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it hard to have long hair?

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Is it hard to have long hair?

I have mixed feelings about having long hair lately. I really like the look of long hair but as mine is (slowly ) growing, I can remember the advantages od short hair. It dryed really fast, I didn't have to worry about damage, if it got messy like it always does on day 2, I just messed it up a little more and it looked great (now I have to wash it and use blow dryer otherwise I get a cold in a heart beat-I never had a strong immune system, even the least bit of cold gets it down). I was looking at my sister's waist lenght hair yesterday while we were out in the sun. She has horrible splits up to APL. I sure hope we don't have the same hair genes! I'm scared that long hair is just high maintenance, I can't remeber how it was, when it was long. With me working so much I don't know if I'll have time and energy to care for it properly. It seems to me like long hair is a luxury, a very pretty one but maybe one I can not aford. Will I get used to it? Maybe it's all just the awkward phase blues... I'm even not used to feeling my hair on my neck anymore-it feels weird and sometimes uncomfortable-I just want to move it away but I can't. I really want long hair...has anyone gone through this phase and came out stronger?

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Is it hard to have long hair?

I don't feel my hair is high maintenance. The things like combing it out, styling it, washing it, not washing it, has all been acclimated into my life where I don't give it much of a thought as cumbersome or a burden.

It's all a matter of perspective, because how high you feel the maintenance is would really be up to you as the beholder. If you haven't had long hair before, or haven't in quite some time, then the adjustment period will feel a whole lot different since it would be so foreign.

Issues can be dealt with via routine changes/experiments and trying to get into the best relationship you can with your hair. For some it may be a monetarily costly venture, while for others it can be one of the thriftier things they have done. I will admit for some it's definitely a puzzle where things don't sync well until you figure out how the pieces fit together.

You'll never know exactly how things will turn out on your adventure to/with long hair until you roll those dice and see how they land! I wish you lots of luck and you'll have all the support you need.

I don't think long hair is high/maintenance at all. You may just be going through a tough spot. If your hair is not long enough you'll have difficulty keeping it back and out of the way, whereas when your hair gets longer you can simply tie it back and not have all the annoying little short pieces hanging out and falling in your face. Don't despair. If you can get through this irritating part of the growing phase it will be easier later.
    By the way, I looove your color.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Oh sure This is the longest my hair has ever been....and also the easiest.

Boy did I hate those hot, muggy summers where I just couldn't get my hair off my neck or find a rubber band to keep it up. Now when the weather is crummy, I can even tie my hair up in a knot if I cant find a scrunchie or a stick

As for the splits, I don't think it's genes so much as how we treat our hair. I dipped back into hot ironing for a couple months and boy did my hair punish me for it!! I was shocked at all the splits. I'd never seen so many splits in my life! Luckily a couple self trims and lots of S&Ding and I'm doing pretty well overall again.

So many summers have brought along with them short "boy" cuts with the thinking that it would be cooler and easier in the heat......nope. Long hair is way better

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by longhairedfairy View Post

You may just be going through a tough spot.

By the way, I looove your color.

I am. I just wish it grew already...but it's so slow. And thank you very much.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Huh. I never thought of it as hard to have long hair. It's annoying or in the way or doesn't look good? Just put it up. Now, having hair that is too short to put up but long enough to cause annoyance would probably be hard. My guess is your just having transitioning blues. Maybe once you can start to do more with it you'll like it more.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gel˘s, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Long hair doesn't have to be high maintenance. Once it gets to apl or so, you can put it in a braid and forget about it. But sometimes, "maintaining" your hair can be fun! I've come to enjoy my routine of oiling, washing, combing, braiding...it's really relaxing and gives you an excuse to have some "me" time alone.
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I know exactly where you're coming from.

The length you're at, particularly if your hair is as straight as it is in your sig image, it probably the hardest for having to deal with it being messy.

A good way to deal with damage is to simply leave it alone. If you're handling your hair less, you're going to get less breakage. Bonus: it means less work.

Yes, I find long hair a lot more work than short. No, that is not actually a lot of work. I had run-my-hands-though-it-and-that-will-do short hair. Now it is longer, I can fairly quickly braid it, or twist it up into a simple bun, and forget about it.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Maybe, you can try out APL or BSL and see how it is.

Less damaged and longer hair is easier to style, take care of and looks much prettier.

Your hair is a beautiful color and straight. Wish I had straight hair like you.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/hip/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I agree with the other posts - my long hair is much easier than short. But I get where your coming from about it driving you crazy. My guess is that it is a transition and the feeling will pass. And yes, I think we all get impatient with our hair at times!

Hang in there! It gets easier!