Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO 101 question

Length
    28"/33"/Term.
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Question CO 101 question

I have a goodly amount of Nexxus Humectress and Mane & Tail conditioners. I'm not thrilled with these as my second, richer conditioners when I CO. I like to use WREB and will settle for certain VO5's for the wash part of my CO but I'm wondering what the results would be if I washed with the Nexxus or Mane & Tail? I just want to use 'em up.

I've been COing exclusively since I joined TLHC and I should probably just go ahead and try this but it's more fun to come here and get feedback.

Thanks!
    Blog:Photos:TBB
    ~Lady Rosa of the Sacred Grotto in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: CO 101 question

I've never used Nexxus, but I washed for a very long time with Mane N' Tail with a lot of success. Since it was fairly runny and lathered pretty well, it was not all that different from using an SLS-free shampoo for me. The only reason I don't use Mane N' Tail is because I used my weekly hair allowlance on Monistat. And jojoba. And shea butter.

Length
    28"/33"/Term.
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    I've never used Nexxus, but I washed for a very long time with Mane N' Tail with a lot of success. Since it was fairly runny and lathered pretty well, it was not all that different from using an SLS-free shampoo for me. The only reason I don't use Mane N' Tail is because I used my weekly hair allowlance on Monistat. And jojoba. And shea butter.
    All right then! thanks for the feedback, RancheroTheBee. Next CO.....I wash with Mane&Tail!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

well, the conditioner Mane N Tail contains wax and protein right? If your hair OK with that it might work for CO. Personally, I didn't like Mane N' Tail and it would not work for CO washing on my hair. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    28"/33"/Term.
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    well, the conditioner Mane N Tail contains wax and protein right? If your hair OK with that it might work for CO. Personally, I didn't like Mane N' Tail and it would not work for CO washing on my hair. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for you.
    I was very unimpressed by Mane N Tail and the wax ingredient did cross my mind, Sissy. I'm encouraged by RancheroTheBee's observation however, that she got it to lather up. I'll just have to take the plunge and give it a try. I'll report back here on my results.

Thank you, Sissy.

Now, I need some feedback on the Nexxus. Anyone......??!!?

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I have tried Nexxus Humectress (didn't care for it, myself...) and IMO, it is a bit thick and rich for CO washing. Maybe you could mix it with a thinner, less rich conditioner for CO, ala Carolyn's Co mixes.

If it doesn't work for CO, you can use it for shaving.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ladiosaRosa View Post
    I was very unimpressed by Mane N Tail and the wax ingredient did cross my mind, Sissy. I'm encouraged by RancheroTheBee's observation however, that she got it to lather up. I'll just have to take the plunge and give it a try. I'll report back here on my results.

Thank you, Sissy.

Now, I need some feedback on the Nexxus. Anyone......??!!?
    I've never tried Nexxus but look forward to hearing how you like the Mane N Tail. Like Shermie Girl said... you could always use them for shaving if they don't work out for anything else

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Hip/SL/None

I am currently using Mane n' Tail for CO and it is working really well!

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

For me the results would be a greasy looking scalp and maybe itchiness and flakes to go along with it. I haven't tried using those two conditioners in particular on my scalp, but that was my experience with other "good" conditioners. For CO to work my scalp conditioner has to be very runny, cone free, and easy to rinse. Doesn't hurt to try it and find out though. The worst that could happen is you need to wash again.

Or you could try using the conditioners in place of shaving gel. Or cover your hair with an ungodly amount of them for a deep conditioning treatment.

Length
    Neck/Class/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post

Mane 'n Tail contains "emulsifying wax" which isn't actually a wax in the sense that you're thinking of.
    It allows other ingredients to blend together properly to improve texture and consistency.
    Cetearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60 are found in many conditioners and are also considered "emulsifying wax".

I like Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner but haven't used the conditioner yet for CO.
    I think it would be a good one.