Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting hair by the phases of the moon.

Default Full Moon Theory?

So, I'm sure you have all heard the tale about cutting your hair on the day (or night) of a full moon. Has anyone here ever heard if there is any truth to this? I have noticed a slight difference when following this theory (well, I seem to get no split ends, but when you trim once a month, it just makes sense!).
    I'd love to hear what everyone else here thinks about this!
    Thanks!

D

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

***bump***

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I heard that it is supposed to be the new moon. So I checked the almanac. They have what are supposed to be the best dates for either encouraging or discouraging growth. There's not much rhyme or reason to it that I can see, as far as moon phase only. Sometimes it is new, sometimes it is 1/4, 3/4, etc.

Personally I don't put any stock in it, I thought I would look since that is the opposite of what I did hear before. Snopes has a page "debunking" this, but they also say vinegar rinse doesn't do anything, so whatever.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

If I have to trim anyway, and I do, every other month, I always go by the best dates in the Almanac. It can't hurt.

Length
    25/40/45
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I trim during the waxing (growing) phase of the moon. Moon growing = hair growing. heh, can't hurt!
    TammySue

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I used to use this method when I was younger, I have no idea if it really worked or not but I remember believing that it did.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I dont know about making your hair grow, or not grow by this.

I am not cutting currently, as I wish to grow my hair of course, but as a Wiccan, when i do decide to trim, it would be done on or near the full moon, but thats for religeous practices, not for any hope of longer hair. Its based on the fact of doing certain womanly things (grooming and whatnot) and practices in harmony with nature/cycles.

Hope that helps!
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I dont know about making your hair grow, or not grow by this.

I am not cutting currently, as I wish to grow my hair of course, but as a Wiccan, when i do decide to trim, it would be done on or near the full moon, but thats for religeous practices, not for any hope of longer hair. Its based on the fact of doing certain womanly things (grooming and whatnot) and practices in harmony with nature/cycles.

Hope that helps!
    I had been thinking that if there's anything to it growth-wise, it may be more hormone-cycle related than anything. (And if that's the case, the growth or non-growth probably happens regardless, but becomes more apparent after cutting hair.)

If that far-out speculation of mine has any grain of truth to it, it may hearken to a time when folks lived more communally and spent more time outdoors as a rule, and were more likely to be, uh... "synchronized."

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Exactly. What i do is through a naturalistic ancient ..... well thing for lack of the appropriate words. There may be truth to it, but I really dont know.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I doubt that cutting hair according to moon phases really affects growth, but moon phases certainly affects my sleep... I can hardly sleep just before and during full moon. And to think one step longer - bad sleep = bad health = bad hairgrowth (at least possibly)... But only for a couple of nights, of course And that would happen no matter if I cut my hair or not.

I think hairtrimming by moon phases is a bit interesting though, no matter if it helps or not. But it can be confusing too - different methods use different calendars, and sometimes a fast growth day in one calendar coincides with a slow growth day in another. I like the same kind of thinking that TammySue mentioned - waxing moon = growing hair... At least it may help me in another way: I get easily obsessed with things, like S&D just to mention one thing... So last month (or should I say last moon cycle) I decided that I will only allow myself to do any major S&D when the moon is waxing. Can't hurt - might help. At least I don't get completely obsessed with splits

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal