Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your family hair like?

Length
    21/39/45
    Type
    1b/M/C/i/ii

Default What was your family hair like?

I was thinking back to a comment I made about what hair length I'd like to eventually achieve and that got me thinking about hair genetics. I'd love to achieve knee length hair at least once as I knew my mother had that length hair around about when she got married. That kind of suggests to me that I should be able to get there, as long as I have inherited the genes from my Mum.

What were your family hair achievements and do you think that genetically you take after someone?

I know I have my fathers coarseness and my mothers greyness! We have yet to see if I have my mothers ability to grow length!

Tiffers

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: What was your family hair like?

My dad's hair is way wavier and coarser than mine. My mom's is fine like mine but thinner. They're both very salt and pepper now (mid 50s).
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    16/16/40
    Type
    1a/F/i

My dads hair was thick and black, later on gray, my moms hair is thin just like grandmoms was and lightbrown just like in my avatar photo. If I could chose I liked to have hair like my dad.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

The earliest memories I have of my mom are of her hair She had this thick black hair that she kept at tailbone-ish length. So shiny and and soft, straight with some minor waves in it. Like stereotypical asian or Native American hair. She'd let me play with her braid to keep me quiet. Then she went and chopped it all off and dyed it, so I stopped paying attention to what she does to it. Now she's fully grey under the dye.

My dad has really fine, ash brown hair. Like baby fine and soft, but it curls, I'd say he's a 3B. If you closed your eyes and touched his hair, you'd think it was a baby's head My dad is greying now, but since his hair isn't so dark, it just looks lighter as opposed to "greying"

I suppose I got my mom's color and thickness/courseness, and my dad's curls.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

My hair is fine like my mom's, but a little thicker and more wavy. My hair is not like my dad's in any way that I can tell.

Color-wise, you'd have to look at my extended family to find anyone with anything close to my hair color, and then it's only one aunt her daughters/my cousins. I seem to have my mom's gray hair genes as opposed to my dad's as well because I haven't found any yet. Sure, I'm only 22, but my mom's family seems to have almost no gray at all, and my dad's family all goes gray super early, so the fact that I haven't found any yet means that I'll probably be watching the gray hair thread in jealousy (My 19 year old brother on the other hand definitely got my dad's genes there).

Length-wise, my mom likes to tell about my great-grandma who had hair longer than she was tall, and how she would stand on a stool and have her hair braided every night, so I'm really hoping those genes got through to me!

Length
    apl/uhh/term
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

My mom had stick-straight brown hair that grew to her hips when I was too young to remember. My dad has coarse, wavy brown-black hair...I think the longest he let it grow was just shy of apl. The only person in my extended family that had long hair when I was growing up was a step-aunt with classic length hair...and boy, I was enraptured! I seem to have the goldish-reddish-brownish hair of a great-aunt on one side of the family and the coarse curls from my dad's side.

I'll have to see if I can find a photo...
    May as well have fun with the hair!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

My dad has dark brown, coarse, curly hair (he had an afro in the 70s, I saw the pics). Mom has med. brown fine, thin, straight hair. I got my mom's fine strands and my dad's curls (looser curl pattern, though). I have ten siblings and only three of us (myself included) have curly hair, one has barely wavy hair, and the rest are straight. And there are three with dark blonde hair (no curls).

Length
    apl/waist/tbone
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

My mother has wavy, coarse hair, and a lot of it. I am not sure it is really wavy though, it is really dry and damaged because of the dyes and if she doesn't heat style it appears frizzy and wavy. But I know she got a perm when she was younger so her hair was probably straighter back then.
    My sister has fine, curly hair, the same as my dad, who is starting to go grey now (only a few grays though) that he is fifty. My mother started going gray at 25.
    My other female relatives have straightened\treated hair, so I don't really know how it is. My male relatives keep it too short to notice any curl\wave.

I have almost straight (most people ask me if I flatiron ) normal hair. My mom says it is the same color she has when she was young, but I have seen some pictures and it seems to be darker than hers.
    Anyway I don't know who I got the straight hair from

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My father is 82 and keeps his hair cropped so short that I really can't see it, except that he still has a lot of dark stubble - lots more dark than white/gray. I have no idea whether it is straight or curly or something in-between. My mother (deceased) also had dark hair; hers was curly. I do have blonde relatives, and all hair types, from stick-straight to at least 3A or 3B curly, baby fine to coarse. All colors and textures and types are present on my head.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I have all my hair from my mothers side: Thin, slow and stubborn.
    When I think about it, no one in my family, none on my mothers side and none on my fathers, have long hair.
    My aunt recently had about mid-back, but cut it. Now my grandmother is the only one with longer hair than shoulder/neck (she's ~APL).
    So, in all of my family, I'm the one with longest hair... APL.