Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly washings and tangles?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Weekly washings and tangles?

I have gone to washing my hair less often, usually only once a week (no inbetween CO's or rinsing) since it's been colder and have experienced more tangles and drier hair despite oiling and wearing updos often. Could this be because I am not washing it as much I wonder? Anyone else noticed this? It is also getting longer and more toward waist so that could be adding to it too. Just curious about other's experiences. Thanks!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    Short/22"/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

As my hair gets longer, I find that it takes more careful handling to keep it untangled, etc. I now have to braid it at night to keep it from being a mess in the morning. I imagine a satin pillowcase would help a lot too, but I don't really like sleeping on them. The braiding works well, though. I don't wash as often, either, and yes in the wintertime my hair is definitely dryer. When the weather is warm and humid I have a lot of curl, but you can see that is not the case right now.

Length
    25/??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

curlsgirl - Not sure if you've read Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. One of the recipes listed in that book is equal parts glycerin and water. I make small batches of that, add a few drops of lavender eo, and use that to spritz my hair in the mornings. In addition, it's best for curly tops to use styling creams, versus gels or mousses. HTH

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Yes I love the CG book though I don't follow it completely. I do not use gels either. I WISH I could sleep on a braid but the thing is I just cannot sleep with the "bump". I leave it loose. The tangles don't come as much at night I don't think as I am not a tossing and turning person. I am not doing anything different but just perhaps not washing as often. It must be the drier weather and length.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    25/??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

These past 2 weeks, what I've been doing to make sure my ends stay moisturized is to damp bun my hair (after washing and deep oiling). Then, place a plastic baggy over my bun. I have a bun cover that I put over the baggy.

Length
    ?/36"/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I've had the same problem with my ends from the dry winter air. My hair's hip length and I mostly follow the CG routine. I've had to do deep conditioning treatments almost weekly during the winter, CO daily and I use DevaCare Low-Poo once a week instead of sulfate shampoo. My ends get too dry if I don't condition every day. Also I noticed my hair will not tolerate oiling in the winter (hair feels like straw), but works great in the summer.

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

All I can think is that it's related to less moisture due to fewer washings. So, perhaps you could try damp bunning?

I was really fighting with that this winter myself, but I found that applying Coconut oil to wet hair and bunning it all day helped give lots of moisture so I had less tangles.

It's also most likely due to longer lengths as well. My hair tangles much more now that it's past waist length.

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I do damp bun a lot in the summer just cuz it's so cool feeling but I really don't like the way buns look on me too much. They really do help though. I wonder if there is another damp updo that would work as well as a bun

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I wish I had your problem! My hair is still two inches from BSL and I don't get tangles yet. I can't wait till it's long enough for me to get tangles.

Have you tried doing high buns for sleep? I find that if I do a bun high up on my head, almost on the very top, I can sleep on my back without the annoying bump.

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I generally wash every five to seven days. I can get tangles late in the cycle, and I do think that it comes from lack of moisture. Because I've decided to grow beyond classic, I changed my routine and now use conditioner almost daily just on wet down ends and a bit finger-combed through the rest of dampened hair.

This has made a huge difference in the condition of my ends. They are softer and don't tangle much at all. If I skip this routine, the dryness and tangles come back.

I have more complete directions for this technique in the thread started by Snowy currently running.
    Last edited by Shell; March 10th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.