Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting off pony tip

Length
    ~25/CVA/?
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Cutting off pony tip

So you put your hair in a ponytail on top of your head, pull the elastic (scrunchy, whatever you use) down to the very end, and cut off the tip. What is the final effect of this? Is it a layering, of sorts? Like a series of layers that don't end abruptly, but blend in together? I hope that made sense.

Lady Liddell of the Looking Glass
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Cutting off pony tip

While I haven't done this, visualizing doing that makes me think it would give you a gentle U. I think.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gel˘s, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I think it may give you the gentle layers. It sounds similar to the layering technique hairstylists use, but with all your hair at once rather than sections one-at-a-time. I think it would form an inverted U shape though, since the ponytail would be in the middle of the head. I may be visualizing it wrong though.

Length
    apl/waist/--
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Gentle layers is my vote. I think I saw a youtube video where the lady did this to get layers but I am not 100% sure.
    Lady Arwen of the Mystic Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Layers, I think, but if it's on the back of your head you'll get in inverted U shape, is my guess.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/WL/TB/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Inverted U, with interesting layers. If your hair is short enough, you get a mullet look. Yours is not, but I'm pretty sure this is not a technique that will give you something you want.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I cut my daughter's hair this way, and she loved it. You need to be sure to perch that pony way up high on the head. It makes for a pretty natural looking U hemline, with nice layering effects. Her hair was about hip length at longest when I cut it that way. She's had me cut it that way at varying lengths up to about shoulder length.

To give her an idea how it would look the first time, I put her hair up dry, then dipped about the last 2 inches in water, took the elastic down, and she could tell that the wet parts would be the cut parts --KWIM??
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
    So you put your hair in a ponytail on top of your head, pull the elastic (scrunchy, whatever you use) down to the very end, and cut off the tip. What is the final effect of this? Is it a layering, of sorts? Like a series of layers that don't end abruptly, but blend in together? I hope that made sense.
    Don't pull the elastic. You just take the ponytail into your hands and then snip the tip of.

Usually you would not make the ponytail on top of the head but at the front, exactly in the middle.

This will give you blending in layers, shorter in front, getting gradually longer in the back.

But this means REALLY HEAVY layering.

I did this when growing out a short cut and needed some layers to make the hair a tad bit 'lighter'. But I never used all of the hair, only parted the hair horizontically above the ears.

You can use this technique for a layered face frame also, then you part the hair vertically from ear to ear.

EDIT: Raerderle is a much faster typer than I am!
    Last edited by AngelInDisguise; October 11th, 2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Too slow
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!

Length
    16.5/37.4/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

You don't have curly hair, neither have I so you might have a similar result as I when you try it. You can start with a little snip to see how it looks and cut a bigger part off when you like it. You could have a look at my album to see what it looks like with me. Maybe you can see the layering and v shape on the photo in my signature? I hope this is helpfull.
    You are all decorating my world
    It looks beautiful!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I did this and it was a catastrophe for me. It made any updo end with a blunt bunch of hair like a paint brush and I could not get the ends tucked in right for many months until things started to fairytale again.

So think carefully before you *do* it. I agree that it should give layers, but whatever it gave didn't work for me.... and since I don't (and didn't) wear my hair down or loose, the hemline was not the big point - I was just "trying for a change" - this was right before I found LHC. Accck. I chopped off 8 inches of the ponytail, all the way back to the main length - maybe I was trying to get rid of the fairytale ends, I don't know. I was so shocked by the result that I'm not quite sure what I did to start with, but I still have the end tied off with a ribbon in my handkerchief drawer, just to remind me not to do this again. Those ends were so pretty and soft.

Maybe you have to make the pony where you do NOT make any updo.... ??