Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'You know small comments shouldn't get to you but they still do' thread

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default The 'You know small comments shouldn't get to you but they still do' thread

Urgh.

I'm annoyed, hair people.

I wore my hair in its natural state today, which means wavy and thick, and I wore it proud! Up until now, if my hair wasn't straightened I would shove it under a hat and hide it, but through being on here, I thought I would stop hiding and just be proud of my natural hair!

And I did it, all day, and barely thought twice about it, I got no funny looks and I was feeling pretty pleased.

And then I came in from day of au natural, and my flatmate (and best friend) said:

Flatmate: "You wore you hair like that today?"
    Me: "I sure did."
    Flatmate: "Yuck"

And I know I shoudn't take offense, and I know he doesn't mean to insult, but it really has undone the massive step forward I feel like I have made today.

I mean, his hair is so bleached, and over straightened the ends break off, and it is so thin and it looks in pretty nick unless it is smothered in product, but that is seen as desirable because it's in 'fashion', and I just don't say a word, because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Urgh [ /rant].

Does anyone else have similar stories? I need strength to withstand such comments, and not dive for the hair straighteners!

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: The 'You know small comments shouldn't get to you but they still do' thread

"You wore your face like that today? Yuck."

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: The 'You know small comments shouldn't get to you but they still do' thread

Quote Originally Posted by Speckla View Post
    "You wore your face like that today? Yuck."
    Ouch.

I'm sure someone has said this to me before :P

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh well - what can you do? Each is entitled to his (or her) own opinion, although many times it's best left unsaid. I've seen pictures proudly displayed here that brought on the immediate reaction ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! But I don't say it.

I honestly don't care whether anybody else likes my hair or not, but if somebody says something negative about my weight, that's a different story.

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

A similar thing happened to me when I first wore a braid in public. I had practiced until I could do a neat, even braid and felt it was a big step to wear it even though I worried about what people would think. A few people noticed it which felt good, but a good friend of mine tugged it and said "what the hell?". Not a nice feeling at all, despite having some other friends notice.

I think a lot of us have been there... your hair looks good to me.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh - my daughter is really good for comments like "are you going to wear THAT?" If I'm going somewhere with her, I let her pick something out for me. Otherwise
    Last edited by spidermom; October 4th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Mutinous View Post
    Ouch.

I'm sure someone has said this to me before :P
    Oh, no no. That wasn't said to me. I meant it as that's what I'd have said back if someone commented on my hair in a mean way.

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

@Peter - I wore a braid at work once and had a similar thing, but I just brushed it off really!

@spidermom - you are right, and at the end of the day he is entitled to his opinion. I just think all these snide small comments are rude. I would never point blank tell someone I dislike their hair/clothes/weight whatever, because it so rude, and at the end of the day, why would they care about my opinion? I'm gonna stop before I start ranting again :P

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Speckla View Post
    Oh, no no. That wasn't said to me. I meant it as that's what I'd have said back if someone commented on my hair in a mean way.
    Lol. I see. That makes more sense :P

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Wear your hair exactly as you want to and enjoy doing so! You used the words "thick and wavy" to describe your hair....many, many people, I suspect, would love to say that about their own hair. I would be one of them.
    You obviously have great hair, leave it in its' natural state if that's what you really want to do - and be proud.