Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salons that do henna?

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Salons that do henna?

Do they exist?

I would love to henna my hair, but there's no way I'm going to do it myself the first time. I am way too big of a wuss. : ) And maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like if I go someplace and have it done for me the person will know how to do it properly. I'm also hoping they'll be able to help me get the right color.

Are there salons that will do it for you? Does anyone know how to find a reputable place to get it done? How about anyone in Portland, OR area?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Salons that do henna?

Well, my hairdresser, who own a little hair salon place near my home, had decades of experience with henna for hair. She recommended me herself to use it for hairloss. So it was only natural I did henna at her place once. But I don't live in Portland, Oregon (unfortunatly ) so I can't help you.

Henna is very forgiving, and I know for sure almost everybody do it at home, and big part of them do it on themselves. It's very much like a conventional dye in term of application - you section your hair, go from the nape, layer by layer to your hairline in front, and apply henna from roots to tips. You can ask a friend to do it for you, it would work just as well as going to a salon anyway.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I can't help with the salon, but I can say that I just did my very first henndigo all by myself and it came out fantastic!!

Wear something old you don't care about, use vaseline or something all around your hairline, ears and neck, put old towels or newspaper down everywhere, put your bowl of mud in the tub and lean over and apply it (don't forget your gloves!!). Have your saran wrap, a plastic bag, and some papertowels ready to go.
    Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist!
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Yeah, the messiness is the only negative part of doing Henna at home.....
    It does not run the risk of "ruining" your hair like trying bleaching or perming or something at home would.....
    the color you get is totally based on your starting color..... it doesn't lift color, just deposits....
    The only possible error I could think of if you do it at home is letting it dry so it is harder remove... but I have left it on 5 hours (others I have read longer), wrapped in saran wrap or a plastic grocery bag and a shower cap and I have been fine......
    Since your hair in you siggy pic is not very dark, do a patch test to ensure you will like the final color.... it may be a bit bright on you, which could be surprising if you are not expecting it (although I think it would be pretty).
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I found indigo doesn't my skin stain bad but henna does. I second the Vaseline and honestly henna is much easier to apply then Indigo and it is hard to miss spots. I used about 50grams for my length (it makes more then it looks when water is mixed) I would guess 50 grams for your hair because it is thicker then mine.

I get a squirt bottle (like they used with box dye) and apply it to my roots like box dye. And then my length. I pile it on my head and then cover it with saran wrap and then a shower cap to keep it warm. I drape a strip of towel around my neck to help with dripping. If you are not sure of what color you want just remember the longer it is on the darker it will get. If its coppered orange relax and give it a few days to darken. I started at the same color s you did.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

I cant help much but try to find an indian salon in your area. They do it.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

OK, so say I try to henna my hair at home.

How do I get the color that I want?

Aren't there different types of henna? And different acids and ways to activate it and times and things to worry about? Won't all of those things change the way it turns out?

I like my hair color, but I'd just like to add a reddish tone to it when in the sunlight. Nothing extreme, but just what I've done in the past with hair dye. Which seems much easier to me. Just pick the color you want, and it turns out the color you chose. : )

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

then i'd suggest sticking with dyes because henna is full of variables, and its permanent to no end.

Length
    18/20.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ademtce View Post
    then i'd suggest sticking with dyes because henna is full of variables, and its permanent to no end.
    I agree, I stripped my hair twice trying to get the red out so that I could go blonde. Even after that, the brass kept showing up. Definitely do test strands first to make sure you like it! I actually really liked my hennaed hair, but for some stupid reason had the urge to go blonde because summer was coming up.......

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I'd love to find a salon that does henna so I could avoid the mess/cleanup from doing it at home, plus the arm ache I get

I'm considering asking my husband's cousin (who is a stylist) if she would do it for me, at least the first time I do it. Judging how well (read: terribly messy and patchy) I've covered my hair practicing with cassia packs and henna glosses, I could use a set of professional hands.

Does anyone know of anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area?