Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming for growth?

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Trimming for growth?

Spidermom and some others talked about their rapid growth after cuts/trims in one of her threads recently.

I've been considering doing a tiny trim to see if it actually works (though not in an experiment way, in an "I want long hair NOW!" way), but I wanted everyone's opinions before I did that. I had been planning to grow to tailbone before maintaining for awhile to get rid of the layer-y bits I have, but if microtrims sped up growth a bit, I could afford to do them to start getting hair that's mostly one length. I have waist length hair now and I don't want to kill that, so I'd only be trimming the teensiest bit off.

So, basically;

Does trimming help to increase growth for you?

If so, how much do you trim to gain whatever extra growth you get?

And whether you're in the trimming causes rapid growth camp or not, is it worth trimming a tiny bit to see if it would work for me?

Length
    Shoul/Class/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It is always worth it to have a micro trim done.

I have one done every 18-21 weeks, just to tidy up the ends a bit, plus that after that time they get a bit splitty and the trim takes care of that.

My familiars no longer with me: Dixie: *1-6-1991 4-10-2009, Stuffie: *4-1994 29-1-2011, and Rakker: *26-3-2011 29-8-2018
    6-9-2015 Goodbye my dearest of human friends, shine bright

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I should probably add that I S&D for splits and somehow, have a natural U shaped hemline, so it would just be for growth/getting rid of the layer-ish things.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's hard to answer this question even for myself. I've had the most amazing growth spurts after two hair cuts: one in 2005 when I had 5 inches cut off and grew 1-1/4 inch in 3 weeks, and recently when I had 3-4 inches cut off and grew I don't know how many inches, but it looks like about 2, in the past six weeks. I don't measure now so am estimating based on pictures and feel.

However, small trims don't bring on the same kind of growth spurt.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Im thinking the same large trims = increase. I was so shocked with your growth SM its phenomenal, I persuaded my dh to measure mine, now I cut a good inch maybe a wee bit more at the end of feb, after I cut my hair measured 22". On my last LHC measure in I was 22.8" this was taken on 6th April, now im measuring 23.5" so in a fortnight 0,7" of growth, so looking at mine and spidermoms experience id say yes it may. Obviously if you cut say an inch every month, you wont grow, but by cutting an inch or more once or twice a year, may help. I intend to cut annually every February.

You look to have grown much longer than 1 1/4" too SM id estimate a tad over 2" your near enough back to where you started.
    Last edited by jojo; April 19th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    25,1/41/50
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I have to get a micro trim in a couple of days,I'm one of those people who always chicken out before going to a hair salon...I know she'll probably cut my hair too much... In case she does,I sure do hope I'll get one of them growth spurts.
    To live is to love the pain !

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

have you tried the Fayes cutting thingy Fee? its really easy and you are in control of how much comes off, my Feb picture shows my first self cut. Theres instructions if you look in search.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    14/24/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'm not going in for a trim until I can be certain that I would still be able to tie it up again afterwards. I'll have to rely on head massage and natural growth to get me by until then.
    Lady Cryollaee of the Honored Woodlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The Goal: No trimming until waist (2013)

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I didn't cut until i could do that either.

Length
    shdr/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Last edited by lacereza; April 24th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.