Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby with food color in hair HELP!

Lightbulb Baby with food color in hair HELP!

I havent been on here in over a year, but I figured if someone would know it would be you lovely people.
    My 3 yo decided to "paint" her sister with some food coloring she snuck out of the kitchen. The one year old is now green and yellow and red. She has light straw/white blond hair. Is there any hope of getting this out. Please tell me there is!

TIA
    Jamie

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Baby with food color in hair HELP!

I got red food coloring on my fingers in the third grade and it took two or three weeks to wear out. I would say give her hair a gentle wash to get any immediate residue off, and then just wait it out. It'll look silly, but if you put a hat on her, people will be none the wiser. The only other thing you might try is washing with baking soda, but it is incredibly drying, so it's probably better just to wait it out. Anything else you could use to get color out would be potentially irritating on young skin.

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

poor sweetie!!! The only positive is that one day this will be a funny story the family will tell.......
    good luck!
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You could try vinegar with a tiny bit of laundry soap...I don't know if I'd try much else. I'd take some pics so you can say..."remember when?". My daughter cut her own hair and the cat's. Kids are kids. If the vinegar doesn't work you may need to wait it out.

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I second the "take pictures" advice. My mom has some lovely photos of when a friend and I decided that it would be way cool to color all our exposed skin with markers. People understand when small children have turned funny colors. It's likely to remind them of their own selves/children/nieces/nephews/grandkids etc.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I don't know if she'd tolerate it or not, being just a baby, but it seems like a long soak in something like SMT might persuade the color to let go. I've noticed that my henna always fades a bit when I SMT, and food coloring can't be as stubborn as henna!

What is SMT?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Baby shampoo, honestly. It'll help raise the cuticle of the hair. You could also try 1 part baby shampoo, one part honey, and let it sit for a few minutes (or as long as she'll tolerate) before rinsing.

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by motormuffin View Post
    You could try vinegar with a tiny bit of laundry soap...I don't know if I'd try much else. I'd take some pics so you can say..."remember when?". My daughter cut her own hair and the cat's. Kids are kids. If the vinegar doesn't work you may need to wait it out.
    Won't the vinegar help stain her hair? I would think it would be like the easter egg effect help keep the color on...

My Etsy shop!

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Sorry-- I was talking about Snowy's Moisture Treatment, a mixture of 4 parts gentle conditioner, 1 part honey, and 1 part aloe vera gel.