Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My hair is falling out like crazy!

Unhappy My hair is falling out like crazy!

My hair is falling out so much that I am really worried. I know it's not breaking because all the fallen hair is long and I can see it's got the follicle. When I wash my hair, I pull out bunches of 10 hair at a time, all together. I used to wash daily and when I noticed the shedding I switched to every 2-3 days. I haven't been experimenting with shampoos or conditioners much so I don't think it's that.
    I eat well, take vitamins every day, my skin is nearly perfect, my nails are strong. I don't think it's a nutrition issue. I am very worried and I need some advice. I do color, but I use non permanent color every 8 weeks. If I stop coloring, my hair comes in this weird dark gray color, not pretty. I'm 25 so that isn't a good look for me. What can I do to stop this?
    Please help!!!

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Magsi View Post
    My hair is falling out so much that I am really worried. I know it's not breaking because all the fallen hair is long and I can see it's got the follicle. When I wash my hair, I pull out bunches of 10 hair at a time, all together. I used to wash daily and when I noticed the shedding I switched to every 2-3 days. I haven't been experimenting with shampoos or conditioners much so I don't think it's that.
    I eat well, take vitamins every day, my skin is nearly perfect, my nails are strong. I don't think it's a nutrition issue. I am very worried and I need some advice. I do color, but I use non permanent color every 8 weeks. If I stop coloring, my hair comes in this weird dark gray color, not pretty. I'm 25 so that isn't a good look for me. What can I do to stop this?
    Please help!!!
    Is there anything that would have caused a hormone change recently?

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Could just be seasonal shedding, or could be medical. Really hard to say. You could always goto your doctor and get a quick check up.

I don't know if there is anything that could have caused hormonal changes. I haven't been doing anything different that I can think of.
    I feel that I am healthy. The only medical issues I have are migraines and those are mostly under control. I wish I knew what to do

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/MBL/WL

If this issue were mine, I'd head to the doctor for sure. What you're describing doesn't sound like normal shedding to me. Perhaps there is something going on that you're just not aware of, but a doctor could help you sort it out. If it's not medical then at least you will have ruled that out as a possibility.

Reasons for hair loss can be anything from heredity to thyroid issues or other illnesses, stress, toxic substances -and more. I'm certainly not trying to scare you, but it just seems like there may be more to what's going on than you know and it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope you find out what's going on and resolve this issue soon.

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Have you had your thyroid checked? Is there thyroid trouble in your family?
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

I've never had thyroid trouble and I have had it checked before.
    This is embarrassing to admit, but I take Zoloft.... could that be the reason?

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Magsi View Post
    I've never had thyroid trouble and I have had it checked before.
    This is embarrassing to admit, but I take Zoloft.... could that be the reason?

First off, don't be embarrassed. Secondly have you recently started it or started weaning off it. It could just be stress. Talk to your doctor.

ack!! I would stop using chemical (temp or permanent) dyes!
    Migraines have been associated with those who use chemical dyes as well as cancer. I would start using henna or henndigo if you are dying a red or a brown colour.. it's good for your hair although a little bit more difficult to do and could be a bit pricier.. but in the end, you will have healthier and beautiful hair!

I am a bit of a natural freak though.. it started with the birth of my daughter almost seven years ago. Since, I have switched from chemicals in everything including toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, handsoap..

although I am not saintlike.. I cant really afford organics all the time and I dont take a bunch of vitamins. I just try to eat as healthy as I can with the occasional big mac or whopper.

(yes, Im new! Hi everyone!! )

Although, the excessive shedding may just be due to something simple like stress..

Have you been brushing your hair as much as you used to? If you just suddenly noticed that you were shedding a whole lot, what some people do is to try to reduce their brushing in attempts to hold onto their hair. What that does is not help the actual normal shedding come out and when it does, a LOT comes out at once. Also, stress makes hair come out more too..

There ARE other thoughts too, like it's spring. If you live in a constantly warm climate, this may not affect you, but I am in Canada and during the winter I have THICK hair and in spring it sheds a lot.. kinda like an animal actually.

I dont disagree with everyone in that you SHOULD probably see your doctor, just to be sure!