Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird split end behavior

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Weird split end behavior

Has anybody ever done this: snipped above a split, and the hair immediately opened in a split again? This just happened to me twice (put the scissors down, spidey; back away).

A split end sometimes travels further up a hair shaft than it appears.

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Default Re: Weird split end behavior

This has happened to me many times. Sometimes I have to snip three or occasionally four times to get the whole split. Incidentally, I haven't had this problem since I switched to WO . . . splits and shedding are both greatly reduced for me.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Perhaps the split was longer, but the hair shaft didn't "open" before you snipped - kinda like a zipper, if you know what I mean.

Length
    27/34/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

this happens to me. My splits are because of using the flat iron, so the damage goes a long way up.

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I had that happen last time I did a S&D. I had to take a break because it was frustrating!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Sometimes I have two fine hairs pretending to be one with the end split. But if I come across one like you mentioned, Spidermom, it would be a first. And keep trimming, these splits have no place in your hair.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    Buzz/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

This could possibly be caused by low quality, dull, or out of alignment shears. I once had a coworker who refused to pay to have his one and only pair of shears sharpened (it's usually only about $40!) and his clients would be back three weeks later with a head full of splits.

I have to have mine sharpened every 4 months or so. Obviously, you're only using them on yourself so they won't go dull as quickly, but if you've had them a few years, used them on anything besides hair, or dropped/bumped them, it's certainly a possibility.

Check them by wetting toilet paper with a spray bottle. Snip into the paper, then once the shears are closed, slowly pull them straight down. If you get a clean cut with no ripping, they're fine. Anything else and there's something wrong.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdazy View Post
    This could possibly be caused by low quality, dull, or out of alignment shears. I once had a coworker who refused to pay to have his one and only pair of shears sharpened (it's usually only about $40!) and his clients would be back three weeks later with a head full of splits.

I have to have mine sharpened every 4 months or so. Obviously, you're only using them on yourself so they won't go dull as quickly, but if you've had them a few years, used them on anything besides hair, or dropped/bumped them, it's certainly a possibility.

Check them by wetting toilet paper with a spray bottle. Snip into the paper, then once the shears are closed, slowly pull them straight down. If you get a clean cut with no ripping, they're fine. Anything else and there's something wrong.
    How much toilet paper? One ply? Two? A single square or several?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Ooh, I like this toilet paper test.... Guess what I'm doing tonight!

I sometimes get splits like that. For me, I think it's sometimes something like an "eyelet" split within the hair, and then the hair also has a split end. Cutting into the eyelet will give an instant new split.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Buzz/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

One square should be fine unless you have very long shears. You just need enough to test the whole length of the blade. I can't imagine ply would matter much.