Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I'm just not meant to have long hair...

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Maybe I'm just not meant to have long hair...

Well, "pretty" long hair, that is...

I went out for lunch with my friend today, and when we walked in the hostess' jaw dropped as she blurted out "Your hair is GORGEOUS!" For a split second, I thought to myself "Wow that SMT must have really worked" since I just did my first one the other day... but when I looked over, I realized she was talking to my friend, who has brown shoulder length highlighted hair. Nothing special, I mean, it is very pretty...

She blowdries and straightens with a straightening iron every day and uses cones... however, her hair looks much healthier and shinier than my long straggley damaged hair.

Maybe I should just cut off the damage from the years of highlighting and coloring... because I don't think it'll ever look "pretty" no matter how many SMTs I do.

Sorry, maybe I am just in a bad mood today. Thanks for reading my rant.

- Sarah

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/buzz/waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Maybe I'm just not meant to have long hair...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah4983 View Post
    Well, "pretty" long hair, that is...

I went out for lunch with my friend today, and when we walked in the hostess' jaw dropped as she blurted out "Your hair is GORGEOUS!" For a split second, I thought to myself "Wow that SMT must have really worked" since I just did my first one the other day... but when I looked over, I realized she was talking to my friend, who has brown shoulder length highlighted hair. Nothing special, I mean, it is very pretty...

She blowdries and straightens with a straightening iron every day and uses cones... however, her hair looks much healthier and shinier than my long straggley damaged hair.

Maybe I should just cut off the damage from the years of highlighting and coloring... because I don't think it'll ever look "pretty" no matter how many SMTs I do.

Sorry, maybe I am just in a bad mood today. Thanks for reading my rant.

- Sarah
    Another option would be to stop coloring and highlighting all together and just trim a half inch each month (assuming you get a half inch new growth each month) and trim the damage that way. Then you still have the length and your hair WILL improve.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Ahh, don't be discouraged. From your photo your hair looks lovely, just as it is! If your ends are bad, maybe some trimming will help you feel better.

Don't worry about your friend's hair. There is ALWAYS someone around us with what we think is prettier hair. It's just not worth thinking about. You have your own beautiful hair. Just take good care of it, trim off bad parts, and be happy that you look beautiful, because you do.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Yeah...

I decided to stop coloring after joining LHC months ago... and definitely won't highlight ever again. Some people's hair can handle the highlighting, mine definitely cannot.

The last time I colored was about 6 months ago and it's the last time I am going to.

And you just confirmed my decision about the trimming. I was thinking about having my mom trim about 1/2 an inch for me tonight but I didn't know if I should since I'm trying to see how fast my hair is growing since I started taking biotin... but i can just measure and subtract 1/2 an inch from what I get on the tape measure.

Thanks for the tips!!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Ahh, don't be discouraged. From your photo your hair looks lovely, just as it is! If your ends are bad, maybe some trimming will help you feel better.

Don't worry about your friend's hair. There is ALWAYS someone around us with what we think is prettier hair. It's just not worth thinking about. You have your own beautiful hair. Just take good care of it, trim off bad parts, and be happy that you look beautiful, because you do.

You're sweet! Thanks!!!!!

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Just keep in mind that if your friend's hair was long, it probably wouldn't look anywhere near as good with that highlighting damage as it does only at shoulder length.

I work with a girl that straightens her hair constantly and colors it. And yeah, it looks shiny and sleek every day, but she can't increase her length because of the trimming she has to do to keep up with the damage.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I think your hair looks lovely, nice and thick. Hang in there! We all have "those days".
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    **/**/**
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Flat ironed hair "looks" healthy because it's smooth and shiny .... when it's ironed and the cuticle is ironed flat. Let's see what her hair looks like BEFORE it's blowdried and flat ironed.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Looking at your picture, your hair IS gorgeous. I'm sure your friends' hair is gorgeous as well but technically it's fake. It's colored and straightened and slicked down with silicones, yours is natural. IMO, society is brainwashed into thinking that highlighted/colored and flat ironed hair is normal and fashionable. I have to admit that I once thought that too. I've gotten to the point that I don't care what people think. I like having long hair, I like my grays, I like my sometimes curly--sometimes straight--sometimes wavy hair. I don't want to look like a clone of everyone else anymore. All that to say, don't take it to heart....your hair looks gorgeous to me!!!

Shorter (shorter as in, not past BSL), flat ironed and highlighted to heck is one of the "accepted" hairstyles these days. I wouldn't take it personally Someone isn't going to stop me on the street and say "Hey, I love your stick straight red hair, freckles and your pale skin! So pretty!" But if it were the 1500s, it might be a different story. They would stop the girl with the fried frosted poofy hair and the orangeish bronze skin to tell her how pretty she is though

Don't let it get you down, your hair is lovely (cute freckles too!)