Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People who dye their own hair blonde...

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: People who dye their own hair blonde...

There is something that you might check out at Sally's. I don't remember the name, but it is a filler. It helps the hair to hold on to color... I would try a darker shade, but only on the hair that has been hennaed. It will then wash out, but most likely darker than the brassy blonde that it is now. I would talk to the folks at Sally's though, they even sell henna now so they are getting more familiar with it.

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    CHN/SHLDR/WST
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I used to dye my hair blonde myself, and then when I colored back over it, it turned that same EXACT color. I liked it pretty good though.

I can't help you out though, it's been years. I went from nearly black to blonde, and it wrecked my hair. It was never really good til I eventually cut off all the old dyed blonde hair.

ETA: To answer the question, you don't leave any kind of bleach or lightener on the roots very long. The heat from your head speeds up the processing.

When I did mine, I left the bleach on the length for 2+ hours, and then put it on the roots for the last 10-25 minutes, max. It develops so much faster.
    Last edited by misspriss; August 27th, 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add detail to answer question
    On a perpetual journey to grow out my hair after a short haircut I enjoyed for an equally short amount of time...do I ever learn?

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Thumbs up Re: People who dye their own hair blonde...

Use a 6 tone (it's darker than it seems, promise) with a cm approx. of a BLUE tint. yes, BLUE. buy them in a specialized hair store, not in the drugstore.

Before, use some olive oil with heat (blowdryer over shower cap for some minutes would work) for as long as you can, it can be overnight, for a whole day and wash it at night, etc. You choose. After that, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. rinse it all, don't add any leave-on conditioner or any other product. If you have greasy hair, wait a day before dying. If you have normal hair, wait 2 or even 3 days.

Then, dye your roots with the mix (20 vol peroxide at least on your roots, though you can use 2 different mixes (i mean, the same mix but the one intended for the roots used with 20vol peroxide to get the tone similar to the one below your roots, and the lenght with 10vol peroxide to produce less damage, as it's already lighter.. if you do this, comb your hair a couple of times after you added both mixes, so that they blend naturally)). Leave it in your roots for 15 minutes. Then dye the lenght, leave it on for other 15 minutes (i would say 20 on the roots and 15 on the lenght, but considering you will take some time to dye the lenght, im not adding those 5 minutes there..). Then rinse, dont shampoo, just use conditioner. As many times as you need it. Then use any product you use normally on your hair.

For the next applications, cos it wont be perfect, it will take some more time.. Just use dyes with no ammonia or stuff like that, so you don't damage your hair more.

That's the best you can do at home! I hope it works for you. I tried to get rid of a reddish tone left after bleaching my hair partially (to orange) after dying it black... I got it to an ashy medium-dark blonde by doing this and then dying it regularly (though this was only due to the fact that i was dying it a 7 tone, though my natural tone is a 6-5).. Then i hated how the colour looked on me and darkened it a bit and added henna, but well, that's another story hahaha

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

If henna is an option to you again then you could maybe use cassia. Don't know how your roots will react to it though.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've been all shades of color.. and bottle dying isn't that much different for any color you are dying as long as you aren't foil wrapping/highlighting/lo-lighting. Pretty much like another poster said you spread the color on the roots for the amount of time the dye suggests minus 10 minutes.. in the last 10mins my stylist dilutes the dye just enough to spread through my hair (whats remaining in the bottle) and then sit for 10mins and shampoo and condition as usual.

That's pretty much been my usual touch up routine for blond, red, and brown. The developer you use (if you're not using some box color) will depend on how much you lighten. The bottle will usually tell you which to use. HTH

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!