Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delicate question for natural blondes and redheads

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Red face Delicate question for natural blondes and redheads

I sometimes do other people's hair for them and have notice amongst redheads and natural blondes a slight issue with thinner hair but more importantly being able to see the scalp quite prominently. Do I just have a skewed sample or is this regularly a problem? I've worked with thin dark hair too, but the scalp issue doesn't seem to happen; which I don't really understand. Also can anyone give me any advice about what's the best way to style hair with this habit?

Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Delicate question for natural blondes and redheads

Hmm....well I'm a natural blonde and my sister is a natural brunette and she has the problem with seeing her scalp and I do not. Perhaps it is an individual thing and not something that can be generalized from hair colour?

As for styling, I'd just work with the hair and if there is a certain patch where the scalp is prominent, then style accordingly. I DO have a weird parting (double crown) at the back of my head where scalp is sometimes visible, so I always make sure to arrange my strands over this when wearing hair back in a bun. It's a common wurly challenge I'm sure

HTH. Btw, didn't seem like a delicate question to me

Tuscan Tales.....♥..... Facebook me!....♥....My Direct Dyes article

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Ok, my mind is officially in the gutter, I thought this was going to be some kind of "does the carpet match the drapes" question!

Re: scalp, I actually notice scalp show-through most on dark-haired folks with lighter skin, since the contrast between scalp and hair is greater.

When I did my coarse/thin/dark-haired friend's hair for her wedding, I made sure to comb it back smoothly and evenly so there weren't any gaps, (it was a French twist), didn't pull it too tight, studded the thing with pins and sprayed the living heck out of it so it would stay all day. Not exactly everyday styling, though.

Length
    Chin/27/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I've read opinions on some forums that coarse hair shows more scalp than fine hair, because even thought it is overall thicker than fine hair, the actual hair strands are fewer and more scalp is therefore visible. Have you noticed any difference between fine/coarse hair?
    Feye

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    Ok, my mind is officially in the gutter, I thought this was going to be some kind of "does the carpet match the drapes" question!
    Me too - but then again, I am *very* gutterminded in general so I wasn't even surprised. Mildly disappointed, maybe

Either way, I have the case of very pale skin + dark thin hair thing going on. My scalp shows through a LOT. The remedy is to always keep my hair very clean (even the slightest hint of greasiness makes this much worse) and try to comb or set the hair as evenly over the scalp as possible. I have always thought I wouldn't have this issue if I had blonde hair, but I do not and I will not bleach my hair just because of that.

nordic hennahead

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thank you for the answers, sorry to disappoint expectations!
    I was surprised too that the scalp should seem to show more with the fair hair, maybe it's because their scalps were rather pink and yes the hair is maybe a little bit coarse. Will keep it in mind - even comb, spray the heck and make sure it's very clean.

This very issue is driving me mad right now (I'm a redhead). I'm feeling like I'm seeing too much scalp. I'm hoping there are hormonal things at work, though, and am going to try Spearmint tea to boost growth.

My mind went gutter-wards when I saw the thread title too!

Type
    1a/F/ii

I am a blonde with fine hair and no scalp showing (only a thin line where I part my hair, but that doesn't count, does it?). Apparently I have a lot of hair.

Length
    chin/MB/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    Yes! This is what I thought too! What a fantastic euphemism btw.

I know a girl with VERY dark brown hair, it is as dark as mine actually and I could always see her scalp 'through' her hair- she wore it quite short though and sticking up from her head a bit (difficult to explain!). I think I noticed it so much because I'm not used to seeing the scalps of dark haired people.
    The price of freedom of religion, or of speech, or of the press, is that we must put up with a good deal of rubbish.
    Robert Jackson

Hi, My name is: Alexis AnimaSola3o4's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Hmm... well, I am a natural redhead but certainly do not have thin hair by any means. I am a 4+ inch circ. Though, that being said... I can see my scalp quite easily around my temples in photographs.... Usually the scalp is easier to see in pics with flash.

I am also quite fair, so maybe there is something to the 'contrasting hair and scalp' thing. ?

Keep your head up, makes your hair look longer! Only micro-trimming from here on out!!! YAY!!