Page 4 of 607 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Length
    21.5/21/31ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Meee tooo!

This was my hair back in March (which was kind of bun dried), before I got it chopped a couple of months ago:

Now it's shorter the waves are more defined and wurly, which of course means it's growing OUTWARDS not down, until it reaches critical mass (hence stupid triangle headness I mentioned in the Wurly/Curly thread).

Depending on the weather the waves/wurls are most defined on wash day, then loosen out if it's dry, but as soon as there's a hint of hot moisture (it's been a veeeerrry humid summer in the UK) the roots get really wavy so I end up with a kind of fro-puff thing.

My main problem, is that the the front and all around my hairline is really fine and quite relaxed, but the back of my hair is really quite coarse and just frizzes up and feels really horrid. Once I've slept on my hair it usually silks out a little, and when it was long enough to bun dry that REALLY helped fight the frizzies, but at this awkward collar bone length I'm having real trouble.

ACV is helping a little. Aloe vera gel had a not very nice reaction. I don't mind using cones, but some of the product you girls reccommend aren't available in the UK. Curlsgirl suggested Sunsilk products on the Wurly/Curly thread (I'll def be keeping an eye on that thread too!) which I can get here, so def going to have to try those!

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaves View Post
    Are you like me -- curly when freshly washed, rinsed, whatever... but then the curl falls away? If so, you get to hang out on both of these threads!
    Okay yes they do fall out quickly now that it's longer *cry* (see siggy for good example) The things that wavies do don't work for me usually but I am going to hang out anyway if they let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    lol don't worry, it's not either/or, I'm sure I can learn here just as much as I can learn there (when I typed my hair I though "it looks like 2c's when it has a good day" ).
    Hehe, actually my hair does resemble a brillo pad when combed out, that why I try my best to keep my hands off the comb between washes. I have one length shot of my hair combed out as a proof it doesn't turn into a the Triangle of Doom anymore, but it doesn't make my hair look good either.

One thing is for sure. All of our hair seems to have a mind of its own huh? And it's true that you better not mess with it too much!!!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    27ish/CICTH/clssc
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Mine turns into a poofy mass if I brush it. Combing seems to do okay wet or dry - combing when wet pulls a little bit of the wave out, but not as badly as dry combing, and I can go for at least 5-6 hours after it is dry before it starts being such a tangled mass that I can't stand it. I have to comb when dry, because my hair is such that uncombed, it is a visibly tangled mess. Not so much 'wild woman on a cliff in a painting' type mess, as 'homeless chick who can't afford a comb'.

What products that are fairly cheap, do y'all recommend to keep the wave intact, and hopefully make me look less like a hobo?
    99% Dye free!
    Official hair-idiot of Measuringtown...
    avatar is Belle of Bonaventure, by Jasmine Becket-Griffith.

I'm jumping in the pool with the rest of you.

My hair is not nearly as wavy as yours appears, Roseate. The curls in my hair are quite loose but I find the longer my hair gets, the more room they have to wind about. However the curls are quite fragile and easy to lose if I'm not careful how I dry it. This can be a good thing if I want my hair to appear straighter because all I really have to do is blow dry it and it's straight with a bit of body. The bad thing is, if I want my hair to remain curly I really can't do a fast job of drying it with the blow dryer because even the diffuser tends to straighten my hair.

I do love my curls but I hate that I have to let my hair air dry to get them. I don't like to sit around with a wet head.

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraela View Post
    Not so much 'wild woman on a cliff in a painting' type mess, as 'homeless chick who can't afford a comb'.

Hilarious.

Length
    27ish/CICTH/clssc
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

It's a good visual, what can I say...

I wonder, is it true that hair changes texture every seven years or so? I distinctly remember, and have photos to prove it, that when I was little my hair was 1c at its waviest... now all of my shed hairs, separately, corkscrew pretty well. As soon as two hairs get together, they turn into a helix. Three hairs turn into a poof. I think if I cut my hair to BSL or APL, I'd have some pretty massive curlypoof going on... But seriously, what would you recommend to make the wurl pattern work with itself, rather than against? Tips? Tricks?
    99% Dye free!

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I have weird hair. I think it is a 2b as far as the period of the waves goes, but it all separates out and clumps up, because my "waves" are really loooong loose spirals. (If I let a single hair hang by itself, it definitely describes a spiral. Very much.)

I've been kind of pretending it's curly, but that just doesn't work. I have to detangle, for instance, because you can see it if I haven't. Oil and left-in conditioner shows up in my hair long before it would in a true curly... and anyway I think my hair is way too fine to be doing anything like brushing it while it is wet (I admit I am doing exactly that at the moment, but I think it is an absolutley awful idea.)
    Yes - this is how my hair is too - I've got the 2c classifier in my profile because I've got very definite spirals, but the waves when they are not manipulated are very loose.

I've been combing when my hair is sopping wet too - I can't not do it. If I plop my hair it looks disgusting, so combing is a must. I'm more worried though about the combing I do when it's dry - the waves are really tangly and matted after day one (part of this is due to prior damage, I know), but I always feel I'm destroying my hair.
    May 2009

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraela View Post
    It's a good visual, what can I say...

I wonder, is it true that hair changes texture every seven years or so? I distinctly remember, and have photos to prove it, that when I was little my hair was 1c at its waviest... now all of my shed hairs, separately, corkscrew pretty well. As soon as two hairs get together, they turn into a helix. Three hairs turn into a poof. I think if I cut my hair to BSL or APL, I'd have some pretty massive curlypoof going on... But seriously, what would you recommend to make the wurl pattern work with itself, rather than against? Tips? Tricks?
    Hair can change texture - it's true - mine has gone from fairly straight as a child to wavy as a teen, back to straight and massively thick in my twenties, to not so thick and wavy again (my hair looks like my teenage hair again).

I find that twirling sections and letting my hair dry like that will get the wurls to align themselves more. I also use a small amount of curl cream.
    May 2009

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rohele View Post
    I've been combing when my hair is sopping wet too - I can't not do it. If I plop my hair it looks disgusting, so combing is a must. I'm more worried though about the combing I do when it's dry - the waves are really tangly and matted after day one (part of this is due to prior damage, I know), but I always feel I'm destroying my hair.
    I think if there is some product in to give it some slip it isn't damaging to comb it wet. I usually put a little blob (nickle sized?) of my conditioner in after I've squeezed my hair out in the shower and before I get out. It doesn't feel like I'm catching or stretching hair when I comb.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    27ish/CICTH/clssc
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rohele View Post
    Hair can change texture - it's true - mine has gone from fairly straight as a child to wavy as a teen, back to straight and massively thick in my twenties, to not so thick and wavy again (my hair looks like my teenage hair again).

I find that twirling sections and letting my hair dry like that will get the wurls to align themselves more. I also use a small amount of curl cream.

Thanks! I will try the twirling thing next time.
    99% Dye free!