Thread: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanne View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Heidi_234.
    I know that long time ago there was a 2c/3a thread. I think we need it, we don't fit anywhere!

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I don't comb on the first day after washing if I want defined wurls, but I do on later days when my waves are more relaxed. Combing turns them into ripples instead of clumps, but I like both looks.

It's been combed in this pic, not in my avatar.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rohele View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you brush and comb your hair. The conventional wisdom for curlies and wavies is to not touch the curl after it dries, but if I do that I have waves, but they look all matted and gross, so I find I have to comb or brush sections and re-twirl the waves the next day. Does anyone else find this happens?
    I never ever ever brush my hair, if I do I instantly flash back to cher circa 1983. I poof and frizz like crazy. I use a baby brush to sleek back hairs when pulling back but other than that I never brush, ever. I comb with a wooden comb or a very wide tooth one when wet, apply whatever products I am using to set the curl, then scrunch/twirl a little to bring back the waves and thats pretty much it. The more I play with it the more frizz I get. I don't know if I answered your question or not but thats my general routine.

Woohoo finally a curly/wavy thread I belong in!!

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Quote Originally Posted by Rohele View Post
    Roseate, I'm glad you started up this thread! I lurk in the curly and wurly thread, but a lot of the advice given there does not work for me. I've got 2b/c hair (at least I think I do) with a very straight underlayer (1b/c I would guess).

I was going to start a new thread with this question, but since there is a wavy thread I'll post it here.

I'm wondering how many of you brush and comb your hair. The conventional wisdom for curlies and wavies is to not touch the curl after it dries, but if I do that I have waves, but they look all matted and gross, so I find I have to comb or brush sections and re-twirl the waves the next day. Does anyone else find this happens?
    I use a wide-toothed comb when wet and perhaps once when it's dry. I mostly finger-comb.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I know that long time ago there was a 2c/3a thread. I think we need it, we don't fit anywhere!
    The Wurly/curly thread was meant more as a 2c/3a thread actually. I started it and just left out the 2c/3a part. That's what we called ourselves on the first thread (Wurly/curly) so I just used that.

To me if your hair NEVER is straightish without blow-drying or flat-ironing or manipulating it somehow, you are not a wavy but a wurly/curly. But maybe that's just me. I don't want everyone to leave the other thread.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the replies. I guess my hair is not a typical wavy either. I wonder what the difference is - maybe I'm not as wavy, although roseate's looks good combed too, and she's much wavier than me...

This is my hair on Day 2 after I've combed it and brushed it - it loses a lot of the wave, but it's not really frizzy or poofy either.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=48223

Here it is after being freshly washed and styled at a salon (the stylist scrunched it to death).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=39576
    May 2009

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    The Wurly/curly thread was meant more as a 2c/3a thread actually. I started it and just left out the 2c/3a part. That's what we called ourselves on the first thread (Wurly/curly) so I just used that.

To me if your hair NEVER is straightish without blow-drying or flat-ironing or manipulating it somehow, you are not a wavy but a wurly/curly. But maybe that's just me. I don't want everyone to leave the other thread.
    Really? I didn't know that! It makes sense now, why wurly curly instead of "the wavy/curly thread". The thing is, real curlies mostly participate in it (), I feel like the discussion is partly irrelevant for my hair (as some wavies here felt), but I suppose what will be discussed in here wouldn't be that much more of a use either - like brush/combing dry? A big no-no for me (us?).
    Don't worry, your thread won't be left to die! For that metter, I'll take my 2c/3a wurly curly business to there, capiche?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Me Me! I get ringlets in the front and then the rest is just wavy and when it's really short the back just looks straight.
    can you get all the jessicurl and whatnot products in the UK or do we do any alternatives? Anyone??
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I do! (brush/comb my hair). The way I think about it is that at shoulder length, I don't have enough curl in my hair for the totally-separated-into-clumps look to be cool. To me, my hair just looks kind of stringy and like I forgot to brush it. Maybe if I had more length I would change my opinion. Anyway, if I am successful with a CG product application AND comb it with a wide-tooth comb after it's dry, it will be wavier than normal but still "coiffed." I'm more comfortable with that.

Rohele, in your two photos you posted, mine would fall right in between your brushed result and your hairdresser-scrunched result. (when I use a wide-tooth comb after the CG routine, on dry hair)
    (pre-LHC)

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Woot! A Wavy thread! Party over heeeeere!