Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

I should have bought the fractionated coconut oil then. I recently purchased Argan oil because I do not care for the cocnut smell. But unfortunately IMO the Argan smell is not particularly nice either. It reminds me somewhat of warm green olives. To improve it I put in some rosemary EO and it has become tolerable.

Does any of you know something about the qualities of Baobab oil? I have a bottle of this stuff. It sounded so good...
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    I should have bought the fractionated coconut oil then. I recently purchased Argan oil because I do not care for the cocnut smell. But unfortunately IMO the Argan smell is not particularly nice either. It reminds me somewhat of warm green olives. To improve it I put in some rosemary EO and it has become tolerable.

Does any of you know something about the qualities of Baobab oil? I have a bottle of this stuff. It sounded so good...
    Argan cosmetic oil is usually deodourized and it is much lighter in colour. If you have the food oil, it is supposed to be great on salads.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

As long as we're quizzing ktani on oils, I have one to submit: How about Sesame oil? I've been using the unroasted variety (lighter in color, doesn't smell quite so strong) for a while, and I like the slip it provides. Does it penetrate?

Actually, since it's often easier to find oil compositions telling how much oleic, linoleic, etc. are in any given oil, do you have any information on what chain structures penetrate or have other qualities?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Sesame oil 41% polyunsaturated acids, so it is not going to penetrate hair that well in my opinion. I was researching oils more for their chelating abilities than coating abilities but I did that too, to a degree. I did not do all oils though, lol.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Argan cosmetic oil is usually deodourized and it is much lighter in colour. If you have the food oil, it is supposed to be great on salads.

Yes I know . I have this argan oil. I think I must be very sensitive to scents and I donīt like most parfumes. Generally cosmetic products have far to much smell IMO.
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

For me, enough research and testing has not been done to sell me on the idea that only one or two oils penetrate the hair. I have seen the existing data, but it is not enough for me to rule out the possibility that others do.

Until I see something new on the horizon as far as testing this theory is concerned, I prefer to view it that only one or two oils have been proven to penetrate, not that other oils do not.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Yes I know . I have this argan oil. I think I must be very sensitive to scents and I don´t like most parfumes. Generally cosmetic products have far to much smell IMO.
    What colour is your oil? That link says tinged with red and that argan oil has no smell. The food oil is known to have a reddish tinge and a characteristic odour, many do not like. The cosmetic oil looks nothing like it.

I had Aziz send me pictures of his pure organic oils and he did.
    Here they are. Here is his information.
    Last edited by ktani; July 28th, 2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    For me, enough research and testing has not been done to sell me on the idea that only one or two oils penetrate the hair. I have seen the existing data, but it is not enough for me to rule out the possibility that others do.

Until I see something new on the horizon as far as testing this theory is concerned, I prefer to view it that only one or two oils have been proven to penetrate, not that other oils do not.
    It is a question of degree of penetration. I agree with you. I do not think only one or two oils only can penetrate hair.

In those trying oils and a butter as pre-treatments before conventional lightening and colouring, jojoba oil and shea butter failed, in terns of optimal results with the dye and lightening, while coconut and argan oils have not been repoted to interfere with either dye uptake or lightening. Coconut oil has actually been reported in some cases, to increase dye uptake.

I think both of coconut and argan oils penetrate hair enough not to cause problems but the primary and really only reason to use them as a pre-treatment is to chelate the metal salts known to generate free radicals.

Of course if either oil interfered with dye uptake or lightening, they would not be very useful, in terms of desired colouring and lightening results.
    Last edited by ktani; July 28th, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: clarification

I am not ignoring this, I just never researched the oil. I did look into the fruit for some reason.

Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I thought that jojoba oil would be the best for hair because it should be the chemically closest to the natural sebum? But then again, no one ever claimed that sebum actually penetrated the hair…