Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 175

Thread: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

  1. #11
    Member CavyQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Yes, it is the oileic acid content and yes they can counteract each other to a degree. One (sunflower), depending on the amount used, would not allow coconut oil to penetrate the hair as much, as it would on its own.

    What is confusing is that sunflower oil has linoleic acid in it which I think is what makes it not able to penetrate the shaft. However, so do olive oil and avocado oil. So, how do I figure out which of the more exotic oils such as kukui nut, perilla, manketti, papaya, brazil nut, and buriti oils penetrate the shaft? Do I look for a higher oleic acid to linoleic acid ratio? Does the size of the molecules also play a role? I'm concerned about this because I've purchased a bunch of exotic carrier oils all which are high in fatty acids and all say are good for the hair. However, if they are going to counteract with other oils ( and only sit on top of the hair), I must be careful with what other oils I mix them with. I really appreciate your help.

  2. #12
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by CavyQueen View Post
    What is confusing is that sunflower oil has linoleic acid in it which I think is what makes it not able to penetrate the shaft. However, so do olive oil and avocado oil. So, how do I figure out which of the more exotic oils such as kukui nut, perilla, manketti, papaya, brazil nut, and buriti oils penetrate the shaft? Do I look for a higher oleic acid to linoleic acid ratio? Does the size of the molecules also play a role? I'm concerned about this because I've purchased a bunch of exotic carrier oils all which are high in fatty acids and all say are good for the hair. However, if they are going to counteract with other oils ( and only sit on top of the hair), I must be careful with what other oils I mix them with. I really appreciate your help.
    You are most welcome!

    I would not worry too much about the degree to which the oils penetrate. Coconut oil is the one reported to penetrate hair the best and still some people do not like it.

    It is about what you like and the oil or combination of oils or oils and butters that work best for you, with what you want them to do.

    For example, Japanese camellia oil is reported here to smooth the cuticles of the hair beautifully, and increase shine and softness. I do not remember offhand its exact constituents, but the bottom line is whether an oil or combination of oils and butters makes you and your hair happy.

  3. #13
    Member CavyQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Yes, it is the oileic acid content and yes they can counteract each other to a degree. One (sunflower), depending on the amount used, would not allow coconut oil to penetrate the hair as much, as it would on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    You are most welcome!

    I would not worry too much about the degree to which the oils penetrate. Coconut oil is the one reported to penetrate hair the best and still some people do not like it.

    It is about what you like and the oil or combination of oils or oils and butters that work best for you, with what you want them to do.

    For example, Japanese camellia oil is reported here to smooth the cuticles of the hair beautifully, and increase shine and softness. I do not remember offhand its exact constituents, but the bottom line is whether an oil or combination of oils and butters makes you and your hair happy.
    Nicely put! Thank you.

  4. #14
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by CavyQueen View Post
    Nicely put! Thank you.
    You are most welcome!

  5. #15
    Member CurlyLolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    57
    Posts
    67
    Length
    8"/neck/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post

    Coconut oil is very special, in that it can help prevent protein loss but some people do not care for it as a conditioning oil for their hair. It depends on one's hair too.
    Some people are allergic to some oils or do not care for the texture or how they smell.
    Would you happen to know if fractionalized coconut oil is still effective? I happen to be that one in a zillion who is not particularily fond of the scent of real coconut oil..

    Thanks!
    Righteously Curly Yes I am!

  6. #16
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyLolo View Post
    Would you happen to know if fractionalized coconut oil is still effective? I happen to be that one in a zillion who is not particularily fond of the scent of real coconut oil..

    Thanks!
    You are not alone on that, lol. From what I understand, it is still effective. It has not been reported to be used in the peroxide thread though, so I cannot report on that use.
    ".... big advantage to fractionated coconut oil over regular coconut oil .... it is very shelf-stable. It will not become rancid ..... One common use of fractionated coconut oil is as a carrier oil .... oil is light and non-greasy, but it penetrates the skin very well .... ."
    Last edited by ktani; July 31st, 2009 at 06:03 AM. Reason: fixed link

  7. #17
    Member CurlyLolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    57
    Posts
    67
    Length
    8"/neck/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Thank you! WOOT!
    Righteously Curly Yes I am!

  8. #18
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyLolo View Post
    Thank you! WOOT!
    You are most welcome, lol. I am glad that you are so happy.

  9. #19
    Member dragonfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    304
    Length
    shldr/38"/long
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    According to Wikipedia, "Monounsaturated oleic acid may comprise up to 88 percent of the fatty acids" in camellia oil. Does that mean it can penetrate the hair shaft?

    In any case, I prefer camellia oil to coconut oil anyways, since it makes my hair less clumpy and less of a lint trap.

  10. #20
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    19,474

    Default Re: Certain Oils Don't Penetrate???

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfrog View Post
    According to Wikipedia, "Monounsaturated oleic acid may comprise up to 88 percent of the fatty acids" in camellia oil. Does that mean it can penetrate the hair shaft?

    In any case, I prefer camellia oil to coconut oil anyways, since it makes my hair less clumpy and less of a lint trap.
    It sounds like it. I would say yes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •