Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help defining the condition of my hair

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default I need help defining the condition of my hair

Hello everyone!
    First, let me apologise for eventual grammatical errors. English is not my main language, and I consider the grammar to be very weird. :P

Now, my hair is smooth and shiny. Almost too smooth, making it hard to do some up-do's. However, this is not my main problem;
    my hair is also very thin and fragile. One evil stare and it breaks. The ends are almost always split, even after trimming. And, no matter how long I gently comb it, it always "sticks together" with the rest of the hair. I can't lift one strand of hair without having half of the hair clinging to it. Which confuses me, since as I said, my hair is too smooth for some up-do's.
    It's like it has no body or weight. I never wear it down because it doesn't fall neatly on my back, but flies around like leaves in a storm.

The hair has just passed my shoulder. I started growing my hair when it was cut to just below my ears. And this was almost 10 years ago, so not only is my hair acting weird, it also grow extremely slow.

Even my scalp has problems. I currently got something itchy at the back of my head that doesn't want to stop itching. I get dandruff very easy too.

I try to wash it as gently as possible, no more than 3 times a week. I use Urtekram's schampoo with rosemarine, and Urtekram's aloe vera conditioner. I do treatments sometimes with honey and jojoba-oil, and various other ingedients. Never chemicals, never spray, never mousse or anything like that.
    I do dye my hair with henna, which has helped a little with the hair-problems, but not much.

I eat Silicea, vitamins and omega 3 everyday, do work-outs at the gym (okay, been slacking a bit this summer :P) and consider myself healthy. My nails are growing superfast and looks great, and my skin is doing fine too, and I can't for the life of me understand why my hair is acting like this.
    It saddens me alot, since I've always dreamt of a loooong beautiful hair.

So, what on earth should I do with my hair? Am I lacking something important? Any tips on what kind of treatments I should be looking at? Any tips at all would be very appreciated.

Sorry if I've made myself unclear on any part of the text. It's kind of hard to tell what I mean...

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: I need help defining the condition of my hair

I would just like to say your English is amazing! You express yourself beautifully.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Your English is just about flawless, no need to worry. Even as a native speaker, I agree, the grammar is strange.

Some people just have very slippery hair that is also fine.. This is how mine, and a lot of scandinavian hair, is. Do you ever leave a bit of oil in your hair? Even a small amount will provide protection for your ends and help against splits.

You may also want to search for the thread on 'catnip for split ends'.

Length
    14/21.5/27.5
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

Your English is perfect! I was always terrible at foreign languages, I know becuase people never understood what I was saying. .

It seems like your hair may need protein. It could be responsible for the hairs "sticking" to each other. Try adding more protein to your diet, beans and legumes are great for that. You also can do a stretch test, take one stand of hair from your comb or somewhere, grab it securely (I usually wrap my fingers around the ends) and stretch it until it breaks. Healthy hair should stretch a little and then break. Dry hair snaps without breaking, and hair lacking protein stretches. Eggs, or mayo may also help, as deep treatments.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by theshadowpuppet View Post
    Your English is just about flawless, no need to worry. Even as a native speaker, I agree, the grammar is strange.

Some people just have very slippery hair that is also fine.. This is how mine, and a lot of scandinavian hair, is. Do you ever leave a bit of oil in your hair? Even a small amount will provide protection for your ends and help against splits.

You may also want to search for the thread on 'catnip for split ends'.
    Thanks!

Yes, I leave in jojoba-oil about 3 times a week, usually when the hair is semi-dry (seems like it's most oil-absorbant then). I did see that thread, and I got very inspired. I went to the town yesterday to find catnip, but... No petstore was to be found. Anywhere.
    This town is so incredibly weird.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LZYJO View Post
    Your English is perfect! I was always terrible at foreign languages, I know becuase people never understood what I was saying. .

It seems like your hair may need protein. It could be responsible for the hairs "sticking" to each other. Try adding more protein to your diet, beans and legumes are great for that. You also can do a stretch test, take one stand of hair from your comb or somewhere, grab it securely (I usually wrap my fingers around the ends) and stretch it until it breaks. Healthy hair should stretch a little and then break. Dry hair snaps without breaking, and hair lacking protein stretches. Eggs, or mayo may also help, as deep treatments.
    Thanks! ^^

Tried to do the hair-test, but it was very hard to draw any conclusions. My hair is so thin that I can barely see the hairstrand, and so weak that it snaps by just thinking of stretching it. Seriously, I just held the two ends in my hands, held them stretched to a straight line, but not stretching them further, and it snapped. >.<
    So maybe I got very dry hair then...

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

The first thing I thought of was, have you used a clarifying shampoo? I would recommend you strip away any buildup or product on your hair before you try to identify its problems.

Are there any silicones in your shampoo or conditioner?
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Teazel View Post
    The first thing I thought of was, have you used a clarifying shampoo? I would recommend you strip away any buildup or product on your hair before you try to identify its problems.

Are there any silicones in your shampoo or conditioner?
    I am not entirely sure if my hairproducts are clarifying or contain silicones. I'll write the ingredients list;

Urtekrams rosemary shampoo:

water, aloe vera, coconut and corn sugar soap, vegetable glycerine, citric acid, essential rosemary oil, herbal extract.

Urtekrams sage shampoo:

water, aloe vera, coconut and corn sugar soap, vegetable glycerine, citric acid, essential sage oil, herbal extract.

Urtekrams aloe vera conditioner:

water, aloe vera, coconut oil products, vegetable glycerine, apricot kernel oil, shea butter, citric acid, guar polysaccharide, citrus seed extract, orange and lemongrass oil.

The treatment I use sometimes a few minutes in my hair is Lush's Retread:

Agar seaweed infusion, soya milk, ppropylene glycol, cantaloupe melon, yogurt, cetearyl alcohol & sodium lauryl sulfate, olive oil, avocado oil, perfume, lanolin, cetrimonium bromide, cetearyl alcohol, jojoba oil, musk, violet leaf absolute, orange blossom absolute, neroli oil.

None of them contain acetic acid, so I don't think they're clarifying... I don't know if the leave anything in the hair either.

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Well, those sound harmless - why can't I get them in New Zealand?!

Okay, you probably don't need to use a clarifying shampoo (which strips away all products from hair); unless someone else can spot something in your ingredients list that can leave a residue.

It sounds to me like your hair needs more moisture. I'll be watching this thread with interest, because my hair tends to be dry and flyaway, too.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Teazel View Post
    Well, those sound harmless - why can't I get them in New Zealand?!

Okay, you probably don't need to use a clarifying shampoo (which strips away all products from hair); unless someone else can spot something in your ingredients list that can leave a residue.

It sounds to me like your hair needs more moisture. I'll be watching this thread with interest, because my hair tends to be dry and flyaway, too.
    Hehe, maybe you can order them on the web. I know that at least Lush has a webshop.

Yeah, maybe that is the problem. Though I don't know any good moisture treatments. I'll wait some more for an answer to all lifes problems... hairproblems at least.