Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low manipulation Question- HOw often do you comb and brush your hair

Length
    ApL/SL/BSL
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii

Default Low manipulation Question- HOw often do you comb and brush your hair

hey guys

just wondering how often you guys comb and brush your hair. I heard too much manipulation can cause some uneccesary hair loss. I personally cant do it but i would like to hear from you guys.

thanks.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I don't think it causes hair loss, unless you are shedding anyway. But it does cause breakage and frizz, especially with curly/wurly hair. My hair is only a 3a but it looks best when I don't take a comb to it all day long, only arrange it with my fingers when necessary.

mythical equestrian Lady Godiva's Avatar
    Length
    54in./77in./74in.
    Type
    1a/F/iii

My hair gets fully detangled about once every two-to-three days. Especially fine and/or curly hair are prone to suffer from too much manipulation. I have fine hair, so I don't want it manhandled a lot, so it's in updos most of the time, which not only keeps it from getting tangled and then needing detangling, but updos keep my hair from catching in other things, which also can cause damage.
    My Articles: Log Roll Tutorial, Infinity Bun Tutorial - original site

Floor Length Hair: 1a F iii --- avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

I'm trying for combings two-three times a day with a wide toothed horn comb. Once in the morning after getting up, then it gets bunned; once in the evening after I take it down and before I braid it for bed. I do tend to wear it down around the house on the weekends so I may comb it once or twice just to make it lay down.

Length
    Shldr/CL/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Well, it depends..usually I brush it, maybe, once a week; I love the waves that my bun-drying leaves, so I avoid brushing after washes. I mainly brush my hair when they're a little oily, so the natural oils are somewhat spread through the length. Does this make sense?

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I wash every other day to every third day. My hair gets combed once after each washing. Other than that, I just fingercomb to put my hair into updos and such.

Length
    16/42/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

When I first started growing my hair, I was ripping through it with a brush seven or eight times a day even when it was wet! A wise woman told me that I was doing no favours to my hair so now I brush it in the morning, stick it in a plait (braid for anyone who isn't english) all day then comb it out before I go to bed. It doesn't tangle as easy that way because i have fine hair thats prone to tangles.

Type
    1c/M/ii

I comb the leave-in conditioner through my hair with a wide-toothed comb following the once-a-week washing (sometimes more frequent in warmer weather - we're having a blizzard right now, so that's a long ways off....).

I wear my hair up every day, so brush it in the morning to get it up. I have an MP brush that does minimal damage to my hair and this is the only time it is brushed.

When I take my hair down in the evening, I don't mess with it at all. I really have noticed far fewer splits and frizz issues since cutting back so much on combing and brushing.

Combing is sort of useless for me, my hair is just too soft and fine.
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    short/33"/clssc
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I used to go weeks without combing. Now that I own found some good combs, I comb before washing and usually again after it's fully dry to get all the shed hair out. The only part of my hair that really gets tangles is the nape and the parts that rub my back.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

about 3 times a day which is probably too much, i need to just finger comb in between washes as another poster does.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip