View Poll Results: Do you ever wear your hair down for sports?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never

221 71.99%
  • I used to until I found LHC and started wearing my hair up to protect it

16 5.21%
  • I used to until x length (please give the length) when it became too difficult

17 5.54%
  • Yes, regularly (please give your length)

27 8.79%
  • I put cheese on my head when I play sports

26 8.47%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever play sports with your hair loose?

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Do you ever play sports with your hair loose?

Very, very no. I have trouble walking outside with my hair down because it gets in my eyes and I can't see anything. Even when my hair was bobbed, I pulled the front up for sports and dancing.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    pixie/41''/term?
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Back when I hadn't found a secure enough bun I used to just braid it for sports, I'm thankful I've found ways to make my buns hold as the braid whipping different parts of your body when you're jogging/dancing is quite frustrating
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14846&dateline=121016  5357 Spot the difference?

Length
    Buzz/37.5/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I voted that I put cheese on my head when I play sports because my situation is mixed. I always wore my hair down until BSL. After that sometimes it was down and sometimes it was in a braid. When it got down to hip length and below, it would most often be in a braid, and sometimes I would do two braids and pin them around my head. By the time my hair was classic length I would usually have it well contained, but I do remember having it down or braided (at the nape and hanging down) a couple of times during martial arts practice. I also remember running with it loose a few times because my style didn't hold and I was not willing to stop to redo my hair. Since I started learning about my hair and taking care of it I have been careful to keep it up.

But, I do have an old video of myself with a long braid whipping around during a sparring match (with sticks). It looks really cool, but my hair sure took a beating!

Length
    14/42/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

No, I could never leave my hair down for sports. Even for running or exercising, it has to be in a braid and hairband.
    Lady Phoenix of the Fiery Rebirth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Some of the pre-teens i work out with wear it down. But i wonder if their parents aren't still assisting with a lot of the detangling, so they don't fully appreciate the effect.

I braid it for all workouts. Ponies still tangle horrifyingly. If it is a helmet based sport, i do two braids to avoid the back-of-neck tangle that a single braid under a helmet invariably gives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
    My hair would blind me, and probably suffocate me, if I tried to wear it down when playing any kind of sport.
    This.

The first time i was doing a non-helmet wearing sport and i tried a single pony high on my head. It got in my eyes a couple times, so i did the pony-with-2nd-band halfway down thing, which is a favourite of mine for doing housework. After whipping my head around quickly for some reason, i inhaled pretty much the entire ponytail. I kid you not. It was actually terrifying.

So yeah, suffocation is not much of an exaggeration.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Definitely not gonna happen!
    I used to just leave my hair in a braid, but once it started whipping me in the face with more frequency during tumbling passes (gymnastics), up in a bun it stays. I can't imagine trying to do anything sports related with my hair down. o,o
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Oh sure, I do. Itīs really cool to strangle my partner with my hair when practicing martial arts... Err nope I donīt do that, long hair down for sports is not a good idea. Thatīs a classical case of movie makers who do everything to make their film more appealing. Authenticity who wants to see that in a movie? *sigh* I hate it when they do that.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Not really. If my hair is down, I don't have anything to put my hair up with, and something fun starts happening I'll join in though. I'm not about to miss out on something just because my hair's in the way (that almost never happens though because It's usually up...)

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    Not really. If my hair is down, I don't have anything to put my hair up with, and something fun starts happening I'll join in though. I'm not about to miss out on something just because my hair's in the way (that almost never happens though because It's usually up...)
    Yeah, that's a slightly different case. I'm talking more about organised sport or premeditated events. I've been known to run around on occasion with my hair down if it was already down (and I admit to ceilidh dancing with it down) but it baffles me how movie creators expect their heroine to fly about on a broomstick (*cough* Ginny in Harry Potter *cough*) or play soccer (She's the Man) or fight evil Witch Kings (Lord of the Rings) with their hair down.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Last edited by slz; March 9th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.