Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: The henna/cassia thread

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: The henna/cassia thread

This was the first time I applied to wet hair, which also made it easier to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    When we spend holidays with my grandmother, usually all the aunties and cousins and everybody are applying henna at once.
    What a nice family time!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Liz_H View Post

What a nice family time!
    It's a traditional holiday thing--we're North African. And for some holidays like Purim, it's typical to color your hands and feet as well, so that means mixing up even more henna paste!

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hi henna/cassia users! My natural hair color is around a level 6, I think (honestly not sure) and I'm contemplating switching to a henna/cassia mix on my roots to get a lighter color near my face than the deep auburn full strength henna I'm working with now (which I love, but is a somewhat intense contrast with my skin tone). Below is a pic of my virgin hair in full sunlight. I'm curious if anyone has hair close to this color that they have henna/cassiaed and would care to share pics of.

Here's one in overcast lighting.

And for reference, this is what it looks like with henna (I've only done one full-head application, the rest has been roots-only):

Overcast lighting w/ henna pic here.

My ultimate goal is to kind of let my natural level 6 shine through a bit more. I'm keeping the auburn lengths for sure, though--if I do switch my mix up, I'll do a gradual transition. Any and all thoughts or pics welcome!
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Alewyn, I don't have pictures handy right now, but when I was using 50:50 mix it came out more coppery looking, less red

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Silly question here. I just mixed up some cassia/henna. Once it was smooth, I mixed in a bit of sugar. This is the way I've always prepared it, but I don't remember why I added the sugar! Probably smoother mixing or easier application. Any sugar users here?

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Silly question here. I just mixed up some cassia/henna. Once it was smooth, I mixed in a bit of sugar. This is the way I've always prepared it, but I don't remember why I added the sugar! Probably smoother mixing or easier application. Any sugar users here?
    I've only ever heard of adding sugar for mehndi not for hair use. It might make the mixture smoother though.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

This is a holdover from skin art It makes the paste smoother and stringier, enabling for finer designs. So it might make application an little easier and won't hurt anything so long as you're not using so much it affects dye uptake.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

We put sugar syrup or honey in when we're painting our hands/feet. It helps smooth the paste out so you get fewer chunky bits messing up the designs. For hair it shouldn't be necessary, but neither should it hurt anything.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks! Since I use an electric mixer to blend it, I imagine I can skip the sugar in future.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

My mix is mostly cassia. Does freezing the cassia hurt it at all? Will freezing it trigger immediate dye release like it does for henna?

When dealing with a huge hair mat, I bought a tube of pure silicone for hair. It worked wonders. It still took some time, but not the multiple hours required with oil or conditioner (even though the conditioner had cones) I wonder if I could add several drops of silicone to my henna/cassia mix? I've often broken some hair off when rinsing out the henna, especially when doing root touchups. I'm somewhat tempted to try it and see if it interferes with the color deposit. I assume it would make it much easier to rinse out the henna without any damage, much like the coconut milk, aloe, etc. I used in my very first application. Alternatively, I could add it to the conditioner I use to wash/rinse it out. Thoughts?