Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The henna/cassia thread

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: The henna/cassia thread

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    Thank you! Would it be a problem if I leave it sit to release over night? The thing is, I prefer to apply it early because my hair takes time to dry.
    I don't think so, but if you do, mix it up with room temperature water so it releases more slowly You can just warm it up a bit before you put the mud on your head so it isn't cold.

Length
    30/30/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Done it Nightshade, I have to say henna is certainly potent! This is what I ended up with but it’s getting darker now that it’s starting to oxidise. I’ll wait for a few more days before deciding if I need another application of henna but perhaps a Arctic Fox gloss might serve just as well to take it closer to red without darkening it. Thanks for all the help!
    https://imgur.com/a/vfaV9E0][/URL]
    Last edited by Kaoria; October 11th, 2019 at 08:47 PM.

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    You can read the long version here, but the short version is:

Sedr- The leaves of this plant have a permeable waxy coating to help retain moisture. It is the fatty acids and secondary alcohols of this epicuticular wax that gives Sedr its conditioning and cleansing benefits. As such, it will wear off over time and needs to be refreshed every 4-8 weeks.

Senna– The conditioning properties and golden color come from Chrysophanic acid. The tannins and chrysophanic acid in senna also have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Needs to be refreshed every 4-8 weeks.

Henna– There are two steps in the conditioning properties of henna. The first is the lawsone molecule, which binds to the keratin in hair and permanently makes makes hair red-orange, stronger and thicker. Also a desert plant, henna leaves a permeable coating on hair similar to that of Sedr’s. This coating fills in rough spots on the cuticle and helps reduce damage from outside sources such as combing and styling. This permeable coating, however, fades after 4-8 weeks.

So the Chrysophanic acid of cassia/senna has no thickening properties to speak of. Most of henna's thickening properties are from the plant wax-coating, which fades in time. Sedr also produces a similar desert plant-wax, and I would say it's most similar to henna in regards to thickening.
    It seems like sedr may be my best option. This is very helpful. Thank you!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoria View Post
    Done it Nightshade, I have to say henna is certainly potent! This is what I ended up with but it’s getting darker now that it’s starting to oxidise. I’ll wait for a few more days before deciding if I need another application of henna but perhaps a Arctic Fox gloss might serve just as well to take it closer to red without darkening it. Thanks for all the help!
    https://imgur.com/a/vfaV9E0][/URL]
    Your picture doesn't work for me, but I hope the color ends up where you want it

Quote Originally Posted by captainjanuary View Post
    It seems like sedr may be my best option. This is very helpful. Thank you!
    You're so welcome!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Has anyone tried 1/2 cassia and 1/2 henna? The thing is I could only find 100g cassia package in the shop I prefer, the rest I found were internet shops with a rather expensive shipping. I CAN buy another package but this one would be easier. Any pictures maybe how the shade turned out for you?

Edit: I was thinking about a color like this? Or would it be more red?
    Last edited by Faraniel; October 17th, 2019 at 04:09 AM.

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Has anyone tried 1/2 cassia and 1/2 henna? The thing is I could only find 100g cassia package in the shop I prefer, the rest I found were internet shops with a rather expensive shipping. I CAN buy another package but this one would be easier. Any pictures maybe how the shade turned out for you?

Edit: I was thinking about a color like this? Or would it be more red?
    Faraniel, did you end up trying the 50/50 henna cassia? I want a color like in that image too. I have bought 100g of each and am trying to decide between 50/50 or 2 parts cassia to 1 part henna. I will be doing some testing this week but it's interesting to see others results

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by katr View Post
    Faraniel, did you end up trying the 50/50 henna cassia? I want a color like in that image too. I have bought 100g of each and am trying to decide between 50/50 or 2 parts cassia to 1 part henna. I will be doing some testing this week but it's interesting to see others results
    Sorry for the late reply. In the end I tried 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia. It was the first application and I washed my hair after three days just to be sure and most of it seems to be gone. I don't know what I did wrong...

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Sorry for the late reply. In the end I tried 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia. It was the first application and I washed my hair after three days just to be sure and most of it seems to be gone. I don't know what I did wrong...
    How long did you leave it on for? Did you make sure you had good dye release before applying? What's your starting hair colour?

Henna takes a few days to oxidise after application, and the colour calms down a bit (my avatar picture is unoxidized henna/senna mix on dark blonde/light brown hair). If your natural colour is darker, then after it's oxidised the colour won't show up as brightly.

Henna also varies a lot with the light; I can have anything from a bright copper to a rich wine red to a russet brown depending on lighting.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    How long did you leave it on for? Did you make sure you had good dye release before applying? What's your starting hair colour?

Henna takes a few days to oxidise after application, and the colour calms down a bit (my avatar picture is unoxidized henna/senna mix on dark blonde/light brown hair). If your natural colour is darker, then after it's oxidised the colour won't show up as brightly.

Henna also varies a lot with the light; I can have anything from a bright copper to a rich wine red to a russet brown depending on lighting.
    My natural hair is really light brown (not dark blond). I used hot water, added lemon juice (from half a lemon), had it released for 4 hours, then applied it on my damp hair for another four hours. Since I have washed it, it is still reddish but very mildly and I can see the roots a bit more (growing out semipermanent golden copper colour), but they are still okay and not too obvious. I wonder maybe I should add more henna and less cassia since my hair isn't blond.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

My natural hair is really light brown (not dark blond). I used hot water, added lemon juice (from half a lemon), had it released for 4 hours, then applied it on my damp hair for another four hours. Since I have washed it, it is still reddish but very mildly and I can see the roots a bit more (growing out semipermanent golden copper colour), but they are still okay and not too obvious. I wonder maybe I should add more henna and less cassia since my hair isn't blond.
    Hmm, did you check that it stained your skin orange before applying? The length of time needed for dye release depends on how warm it is, so it's good to check against the inside of your wrist or similar first.

Perhaps you could post pictures of your starting colour, your freshly hennaed colour, and your colour now? That might help to see what you're dealing with here
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB