Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hm..don't know what I'm doing wrong

Length
    18/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Unhappy Hm..don't know what I'm doing wrong

My hair routine isn't impressing me. Bascially this is my method:
    II wash my hair every day in the summer with a nickle size dollop of shampoo on the scalp only, rinse in warm water. Then a quarter size dollop, on the scalp only and rinse in cool water. (I read about that method on the Morrocan Method website) I then follow with a good amount of conditioner, which I rinse in cool water. After showering I mix a milk lotion and coconut oil and put into my towel dried hair. I then let it air dry. When it's just damp I add a mix of conditioning mousse and defrizz serum. My hair feels great for the first 5-8 inches or so..then it's a frizzy, dry mess. No idea why. Oh btw it's thinning on the crown! I think it's because I used to tie my hair up all the time, and didn't treat it very well...

I know I'm using products with cones and sls in it, which I plan to change as soon as I can afford the more expensive 'natural' products.
    Any one know of where I can find a website that has ideas on making your own products? That might be cheaper for me...
    Anything else I can do to help my poor hair?

Thanks!

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Re: Hm..don't know what I'm doing wrong

Have you clarified?

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    18/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I'm not sure what clarifying entails....

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Is it possible that your hair is growing out damage? I have around 4 inches of virgin hair that is smooth and frizz free compared to the rest of my damaged hair that is frizzy (especially after wash day) thinner and doesn't look the best.

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AddiesMom13 View Post
    I'm not sure what clarifying entails....
    Clarifying is just removing hair product buildup from your hair. I use Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo, but any silicone free sls shampoo would probably work.
    May 2009

It seems that you're doing kind of a lot of stuff to it every day.

ETA: You're not "scrubbing" your hair dry with the towel are you?

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

You might try coating the length with some conditioner before you do the shampoo scalp washes, to protect it. My hair likes that a lot.
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I know I'm using products with cones and sls in it, which I plan to change as soon as I can afford the more expensive 'natural' products.
    A lot of people here (including myself) find that cheap brands like Suave, VO5, and White Rain work quite well for them.

I suggest looking at these articles:

Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating
    To Cone or Not to Cone

They have helped me a lot

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I agree with the others... seems like you have a lot going on in your routine.
    I would ease up on so many "additives" and just shampoo once on the scalp (do the CWC method) and then add just some coconut oil to the ends.
    First clarify. You can get a clarifying shampoo, or make one with baking soda. Just search around the forums and you'll find recipes.

There's a lot of info, and the person above me posted some great links.

Welcome to LHC!
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

My hair routine isn't impressing me. Bascially this is my method:
    II wash my hair every day in the summer with a nickle size dollop of shampoo on the scalp only, rinse in warm water. Then a quarter size dollop, on the scalp only and rinse in cool water...
    Hmm, is your scalp very oily? If you are washing every day, lathering twice seems excessive, unless you have an extremely oily scalp. I'd try CWC first, it's described in one of the newbie articles linked above, doesn't require any new products and can help protect your dry length.

Any one know of where I can find a website that has ideas on making your own products? That might be cheaper for me...
    Conefree conditioners are very cheap (suave naturals, vo5), and great for CO-washing. Those brands' shampoos do have SLS though. If you are near a Trader Joes, they have some inexpensive SLS free poos that some members like a lot.

We have a board here that discusses many natural alternatives and recipes. Keep in mind that the trial-and-error period of learning to mix your own stuff can be way more costly than Suave! ;P