Thread: Question for Herbal Washers!

Default Question for Herbal Washers!

Would you describe the overall condition and quality of your hair using herbs and oils, versus conventional products?

My hair on herbs/oils has a lot of body and shine, looks thicker and is curlier. (ii hair looks iii)

My hair on (silicone free) shampoo and conditioner is limp, flat, and coated, not very shiny and looks thin and scraggly with few curls. (ii hair looks i)

(sorry no picture my upload failed)

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

On conventional products (a shampoo/conditioner routine), my hair is frizzy, dry, crunchy and dull. On herbs and oils, my hair is soft, smooth, shiny and slippy.
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

herbs (rosemary), oils (coconut), vinegar rinses, non SLS shampoos, and non silicone shampoos/conditioner = Happy, full, and shiney hair

I simply will not go back to conventional products. I have seen that much of a difference. It's not easy to find shampoos and conditioners without cones and SLS. My next adventure are poo bars. (When I'm done with my current Burt's shampoo/conditioner.)
    Member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Briana - perhaps I should have clarified. I meant using herbs for washing, versus using soaps/detergents etc.

I'm happy for you that you've found something that works.
    Have you tried using herbs only for washing/cleansing the hair, without the use of any shampoos, conditioners or soaps?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have done a bit of mix and matching for a good while now. But i do find that my hair looks much fuller after using just herbs than it did on other methods....but with a nice shine to it.
    I also find i shed much more when i use regular hair products than i do on HO. In fact, on HO my shedding almost totally stops!
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

When I use soapwort for my hair, it looks beautiful and shiny - but feels a little greasy compared to the squeaky-cleanness of shampoo. I tend to switch off between them.

Chloe Dharma - I totally agree about the shedding. I wished I'd known this years ago as I probably wouldn't have lost so much hair. At least now, thanks to people at LHC, I can stop the massive shedding! Yeah!

One other thing, my scalp doesn't itch with herbs whereas it does with shampoo.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Shampoo, especiall SLS one (with conditioner after silicone or no) - crunchy, breakable, frizzy, mound of hair. It gets bigger, to "looks like has been electrocuted" level.
    Conditioner (CO) - hair was ok or a bit limp. Scalp was the problem there.

Herbs - wavier, less frizz, more normal volume as if the hair has some weight and is not a ball of frizzy fluff. Amount of volume and slip depends on the herbs and oils used.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

traditional shampoo/conditioner- heavy limp hair with lots of shed...

all natural cassia based poo bar/hibiscus and elderflower tea rinse/small amount of oils.. more body/bounce, less shed, and I am inding a ton of new growth to replace that high shed.. I am still shedding a lot, just not the literal handfuls I was in the past!
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page