Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how can I delete my account here

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Default Re: how can I delete my account here

I think it makes sense, there's no real need to have two accounts is there?

Length
    30ish/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by eadwine View Post
    -quote deleted-

I find that one per lifetime a bit weird, but oh well.
    I was a mod on an innocuous gaming site, and we only really had 50 or so "active" members. We also had fun tricks to tell who had more than one account, and we also had a "one account per lifetime" rule. It's not that odd, nor that strict to me. I'm sure the one other board I'm on has the same rule.

Really when you think about it, you can assume the rule is there for the people who get banned. Since people who don't get banned don't have any use for more than one account anyway, it's just simple to say that everyone only gets one. If you get that one banned, then that's too bad.

Honestly I've never "unregistered" from a forums, so I personally find that habit a bit odd. What's the big deal if my profile is there but blank? It's not like I can only sign up for so many message boards, so if I unregister here then I'll free up a slot to register somewhere else.

Length
    17/30/34
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I love how this discussion continues long after the OP has disappeared in a cloud of dust!

It's like she rode into town, started us chatting and wondering aloud, and then just left us without a trace....
    *** watch this space ***

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Honestly I've never "unregistered" from a forums, so I personally find that habit a bit odd. What's the big deal if my profile is there but blank? It's not like I can only sign up for so many message boards, so if I unregister here then I'll free up a slot to register somewhere else.
    Yes, that baffles me too. We close accounts all the time since people request it, but I've never made such a request and don't anticipate ever wanting to do so.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik Guy View Post
    If anyone thinks of opening a second or third or sixth account, the mods will notice and will contact you about merging them -- almost certainly with your original username.
    I'm not wanting to.. but now I am just curious, if a user wanted to change their username without wanting to delete their history
    , and contacted a mod is that possible?

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_Sprinkle View Post
    I'm not wanting to.. but now I am just curious, if a user wanted to change their username without wanting to delete their history
    Name changes are not allowed anymore because it was becoming too confusing for everyone and because it took up too much admin time. However, if anyone has concerns that make you think a name change is needed, please PM a mod to discuss your situation.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_Sprinkle View Post
    I'm fairly sure that's only done under exceptional circumstances - like having an e-stalker or something. Otherwise it's too confusing for the community and too time consuming for the mods!

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

i don't get the wanting to delete accounts thing. whatever happened to logging off and just not coming back? it's not like you get charged money for having an account somewhere

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that's only done under exceptional circumstances - like having an e-stalker or something. Otherwise it's too confusing for the community and too time consuming for the mods!
    not really. it only takes about 45 seconds to change someone's username and another 10 seconds to add a usernote for the rest of the staff to know about it. i'm an admin at a site where the rules are more lenient, and we tend to oblige people on these whims. some people will find a picture they love and want to build a whole persona around it, so they change names, avatars, signatures, fonts, the whole nine of course, we think it's funny to have people guessing who's who.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bene View Post
    i don't get the wanting to delete accounts thing. whatever happened to logging off and just not coming back? it's not like you get charged money for having an account somewhere

---------------------------------------------------------------

not really. it only takes about 45 seconds to change someone's username and another 10 seconds to add a usernote for the rest of the staff to know about it. i'm an admin at a site where the rules are more lenient, and we tend to oblige people on these whims. some people will find a picture they love and want to build a whole persona around it, so they change names, avatars, signatures, fonts, the whole nine of course, we think it's funny to have people guessing who's who.
    Thanks for the inside scoop! I don't know much (or anything) about message board software. By "time consuming" I was referring more to the mods receiving lots of requests for username changes given the size of LHC, but it was speculation and I could be wrong.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    Thanks for the inside scoop! I don't know much (or anything) about message board software. By "time consuming" I was referring more to the mods receiving lots of requests for username changes given the size of LHC, but it was speculation and I could be wrong.

i was thinking about that, but you'd be surprised how attached people get to their usernames. i've been "bene" on a variety of sites for quite a number of years. when you do the math, only a small percentage of members will request a name change and, given enough time, they'll request to have their names changed back
    Last edited by Bene; July 7th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"