Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Milestone?

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Disappointed in Milestone?

Here's my question.....have you ever been disappointed when you reached a milestone you longed for? One that you thought would be a Really Big Deal?

I've reached waist. I thought I'd be thrilled, but I'm not. I thought at waist I'd have enough length to do more of the so-cool updos I drool over, but it's just not happening.

Waist seems, if anything, to be an awkward length for me and I'm hugely disappointed.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Disappointed in Milestone?

Me too! I'm right there with you. I'm at waist and it's just kind of ho-hum for me... maybe more cool updos at hip? Or classic? We'll see. I know what you mean about the length seeming awkward. It's so tempting to run into a salon sometimes, and just beg them to give me some "shape" or something while threatening under pain of death to not remove length, LOL.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Islandgrrl - first things first - CONGRATULATIONS on reaching waist! You've reached a milestone and that deserves a little celebration. Maybe you could celebrate by wearing your hair down for a bit just to enjoy it? I understand awkward lengths - I'm at one right now. Because your hair is so thick, it makes sense that many updos, even with waist-length hair, would still be hard to manage. I'm sorry you are disappointed, though.

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Islandgrrl View Post
    Here's my question.....have you ever been disappointed when you reached a milestone you longed for? One that you thought would be a Really Big Deal?

I've reached waist. I thought I'd be thrilled, but I'm not. I thought at waist I'd have enough length to do more of the so-cool updos I drool over, but it's just not happening.

Waist seems, if anything, to be an awkward length for me and I'm hugely disappointed.
    I think I know what you mean. After all, it's not as though you go from BSL to waist overnight. The change occurs gradually, so it kind of makes sense that there's not a huge transitional difference.

That said, I've read others with thick hair such as yours point out that they need extra length to do the same styles that ii's can do at a given length.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Waist looks longer than it is. But the great thing about this milestone is that all the fun begins when you reach it. You'll be hip in no time, BCL follows... It's not the long count from BSL to Waist anymore.
    I do agree with what is said above me, people with thick hair need even more length to be able to do certain updo's. On the bright side, when they manage to, it looks twice as impressive.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I had pretty much the same when I reached waist. The excitement of reaching my goal rapidly wore off but I let it grow for a few months longer until I decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and didn't actually flatter me when it was down.

I looked at some old photos and decided to chop back, now I'm at BSL and much happier with it. Although I seem to have lost my updo-fu somewhere along the way, it deserted me at waist and despite several cuts and more/less layering, I haven't managed to get it back.

I see your hairtype is rather similar to mine, give or take a touch of waviness.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    23"/27.5"/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Awe! Congrats on your milestone. I would LOVE to be where you are now. Good news is it's still growing. You'll get where you want to be.

In some ways. I'm really happy that I've reached TB, but I don't like that my ends are so see-through.

Well done, reaching waist.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I was at very close to BSL a little over a year ago and somehow it didn't look as long as I was expecting. I don't know...it wasn't as "wow!" as I was hoping.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I haven't had hair longer than shoulder length since I was 16, and I thought APL would feel so long. If anything, it feels like a halfway point! I do hope BSL will feel long enough
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.