Thread: Do particular hair types grow faster?

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Do particular hair types grow faster?

Do particular hair types grow faster? It seems that people with 1a hair (or close to that end of the spectrum) seem to get more monthly growth than us on the other end of the spectrum...could shrinkage just be to blame?
    Just a thought
    Women.... Who made 'em? God must have been a... genius. Their hair. They say that the hair is everything, you know? Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls, and just wanted to go to sleep forever? ~Bo Goldman

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Default Re: Do particular hair types grow faster?

Hmm interesting question!
    I think it's possibly just shrinkage, but I'll be watching this thread to see what other people think!

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

A persons actual growth rate and the appearance of growth are two very different things. I don't think any hair types grow faster than others. I'm sure that if curlies always straightened or straight hairs always curled when they measure, the results would be the same.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

i don't think any type of hair grows faster, i think it's somewhat harder to get an accurate measurement with curly hair. curls are contingent on so many factors, humidity, manipulation, etc. so, if one month you measure at one length, and two months later you measure at another, it could possibly appear to not have grown at all or even shrunk.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I think my hair grows pretty fast! But I sometimes put soft rollers in my hair at night and if I really try I can get it so curly that instead of being TBL, it's like waist maybe even BSL. So this does lead me to think that curlies grow just the same it's just all taken up in the curls!

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think the actual growth rate depends on genetics, and can vary independent of hair type.
    But as to what looks like is growing faster, definitely straight hair. With 1 hair, all the growth translates directly into length. But with curls, not so much.
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaphlyy View Post
    A persons actual growth rate and the appearance of growth are two very different things. I don't think any hair types grow faster than others. I'm sure that if curlies always straightened or straight hairs always curled when they measure, the results would be the same.
    This.

I measure wet for consistency in measuring. That number isn't what you see, but I do have it, albeit wrapped up in some curl.

I recall once complimenting a type 1 on her waist length hair. She told me that perhaps mine would get that long someday too. Oddly enough, at that time, a blowout on me would have had me at barely hip length. She didn't think that I had just as much hair as she did, if not more, but it was caught up in shrinkage.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    pixie/hiBSL/CURLY
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

As others have said, I think curl pattern just tends to eat up length. In my case, as I get longer, it SEEMS as though I'm getting longer and longer faster and faster because the weight of my hair is pulling out my curl pattern as it goes. Kind of a bonus if you're going for length.
    Curls or length???
    Mini-goals as measured on dry hair: lower BSL, waist, back to high BSL!
    My co-washing blog with pics of growing out my pixie: Colorado Curly

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

My growth rate is exceptionally fast. I remember one exceptionally fast rate of growth was between May of 2007 to July 2007. At that time I still received regular trims at my hair salon. I trimmed about an inch off in May of 2007, and my hair fell below middle back. By July I was already at the small of my back reaching towards waist! That July I did a dusting of about 1/2 an inch. Actually, an even better example is when I was a child and my parents would force me to get crew cuts. Within 3 months into the school year, I would already be sporting a bowl cut bob and when it got "too long" for their liking it was back to the clippers again. It was this endless cycle of forced childhood haircuts that made me ever the more vigilant to grow my hair to terminal once I grew too big for them to to drag to the barbershop!
    Last edited by ericthegreat; June 30th, 2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typo

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

mm I have no idea..my measure growth is at best 1 cm a month and one of my hairtwins has even had a worse growth rate..
    2a/b Niii - Lady Latiaran of the Burning Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights