Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No confidence in hair

Type
    2a/F/i

Unhappy No confidence in hair

How many of you ,before having beautiful hair, had no confidence to keep it open even after a head bath? Who all tried their best to hide their hair?
    I still belong to this category (though I've improved and leave it open for a very short while). What you guys are seeing now is the hair which has improved a great deal only because of LHC. Otherwise I had hair which would always be a cause of worry to me.And it was no help to be surrounded by people with hair to die for.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

well, if you have hip length hair, you're already doing SOMETHING right.

I've now been at LHC for almost two years, and finally have hair I (mostly) feel proud of. Freshly washed and air dried is my favorite, because then it's got the most volume.

As a kid, I was the "pretty" one with the straight, white-blonde hair. Adolescence made my hair darker and wavier and I didn't know what to do with it. I wanted to be "pretty", so I bleached it and blowdryed the waves into submission - for over 15 years. Needless to say, my hair was thin, wispy, unmanageable, and dry when I came to LHC. In comparison to the women I saw - bleached but still BSL and twice as thick as mine, or braids as thick as my wrist with no taper at all - my hair was embarassing.

If you saw me on the street, your head probably would not turn at my hair. In fact, most people don't notice my hair at all. But *I* do, and I am happy with it, and this makes me happy. Genetically I will never have a wrist-thick, taper free braid, my hair will never lie smooth and sleek, and my ends will probably always be thin. But I can maximise what I have and enjoy it, too.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I actually never tried to hide my hair, there was one specific time that my hair was really really terrible, damage at the worst and what i did was cut it all off! So yes i had really short hair for about 3 or 4 times but it didnt make me ugly, people liked it actually but the only thing that made me really sad is that i always loved hair, always loved taking care and toutch it so it was a desperation ehhe. I only hide my hair when it is a bad hair day otherwise i will let him free (i know its not a long hair) but even if it was a long hair i would let it be free...thats the point of having long hair for me, not exactly the updos, i love seeing hair shining at the day light
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

My way of hiding my hair used to be wearing it really short. I have curly hair which, in my teenage years, meant frizzy hair because I would brush/comb the heck out of it. It was dry, brittle, and of course everybody around me kept telling me short hair suits me better. So I kept it short, and I mean really short. Once or twice I let it grow to APL, but I didn't let it stay there for long!
    When it looked decent, my grandma liked to say I inherited it from her and she was right - only, while she knew how to deal with it when she was young, I was never taught a thing.
    Now I know that if I don't yank a brush through it a hundred times a day, keep harsh shampoos away from it and protect it in the wind, I can have the hair I inherited from my grandmother: curly, fine, and even shiny. She used to have beautiful hair when she was young and it still is pretty, although she is close to 90!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

My hair is very fine, and even though I have a lot of it, my ponytail circumference is very thin. I used to hide it by wearing it shoulder length and using mousse, blowdryers and curling irons to give it volume.

I honestly didn't think my hair was good enough to grow long. Joining LHC changed all of that for me.

Yes, there are many people here with thick locks, but since joining, I've seen so many lovely fine-haired people with very long hair and it's given me the confidence to grow mine out.

I still have a long way to go to have hair as long as yours, but I just saw your photo of your hair loose, and it's beautiful! It really is.

I hope that you can look at that photo as though it were someone else's here on LHC and see just how lovely your hair is. If you could do that you'd definitely get more confidence!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I feel very similar to you. I mostly just hide my hair because i think if it's seen down then it just looks a bit shameful mostly.

My way of dealing with it is to just hope that by taking care of it then it will grow back nice like it used to be so i focus on that rather than on hating my hair.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I would grow my hair long and then get frustrated my hair wasn't gorgeous and shiny, or my waves would make me feel ugly. Then I came to LHC just slightly past shoulder length. My hair has improved tons and has grown quite fast. Right now I am brushing BSl with 1/2" to go. I learned to stop blowfrying, stop straightening ,and stop brushing. I use a yak bone comb and the rare time I do use a brush besides my BBB I feel yanking and snapping.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    25/40/45
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Your hair is beautiful, truly it is. I know what you mean about seeing hair to die for. I feel like that too, but I have come to accept that this is MY hair and I can't change the texture and other things, but I can work with it and do things that help to improve it.

Hope this helps a little bit!!
    TammySue

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

My hair is very fine and thin and breaks if I even LOOK at it. I would try to grow it out, but didn't have the patience after a few months (since it would grow barely an inch) and I would cut it. For the past 6 years I've had my hair touching my shoulders or above.

Right now it's a bit past my shoulders (still very short), but it's the longest I've had it since I was 16. I'm still not happy with it because it is so damaged (my own fault!) but I am slowly babying it to full health and growth.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sahiba View Post
    How many of you ,before having beautiful hair, had no confidence to keep it open even after a head bath? Who all tried their best to hide their hair?
    I still belong to this category (though I've improved and leave it open for a very short while). What you guys are seeing now is the hair which has improved a great deal only because of LHC. Otherwise I had hair which would always be a cause of worry to me.And it was no help to be surrounded by people with hair to die for.
    i cant quite understand what you are asking.. keep what open? whats a head bath? perhaps i just read it wrong... i did hide my hair under hats quite often if it was dirty and when i had a terrible haircut...
    can i call this classic length