Page 1 of 541 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Default Dumbest hair comments you've received?

What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you about your hair?

There's the usual, "you have long hair!" which always makes me want to whip around in surprise and look at it and say "I do?? Holy crap, I didn't know!" I never know what to say to it, because I'm never sure if it's just an observation or if it's supposed to be a compliment.

Then I sometimes get, "is that your real hair?" Nope, I go around snipping strands off other people. (I always say that if I ever got cancer and had to have chemo, I'd shave my head before my hair fell out on its own, make myself a wig, and go around in that and then when people say "is that your real hair?" I could say, "sorta--it's mine, but it's not attached...")

And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?" (I wear my hair braided almost constantly; usually one but sometimes two). And if that's not weird enough, when I tell them I braid it, they act all incredulous. It's only a braid, for heaven's sake! You'd think it was rocket science from the way people react. I usually just tell them, "who else is going to braid it for me?" (do they think I have a maid??) and sometimes, "well, I've been doing it for years, so I'm sort of used to it by now." (duh)
    Last edited by Kat; February 6th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?"

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    28/45/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

LOL I really hate "YOu have long hair!"
    I mean I guess it's a thing they say out of shock or whatever, but I always want to respond with "You have on a green shirt!"

I think "is that your real hair" isn't so bad, I mean so many people have extensions.

I'm not sure I've got anyone dumb ones

thinks.
    * Ann @ Last.FM * Hair Journal *
    I'm past goal, I don't know what I'm doing now.

My hair isn't long enough to get the "You have long hair!" comments, but as a redhead I had a lot of "Your hair is red" comments. What do they expect me to say ? "Gee thanks for pointing that out, I always thought it was (insert other colour here)!"

Oh well..

Length
    buzz/mediu/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/C/iii

"You look gay" "When are you going to cut your hair?"

I've only gotten the gay comment from a small child in my family.

I usually respond to the "When are you going to cut your hair?" with "Probably in a few years... even then it'll just be a trim, though."

haha

Length
    11/47/60
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I've gotten all of those dumb comments as well. I sometimes think people blurt out what pops into their heads without thinking about how it's going to sound coming out of their mouth. I'm guilty of that as well, so I try not to cringe and just say, "Yup! It's long/blonde/mine/whatever." The one that annoys me is the "How did you get your hair so long?" Um, I didn't cut it. It's that simple. They always seemed so shocked that by not cutting your hair, it will grow. Amazing.

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?"
    Oh, I recognize that one. I used to get it all the time from colleagues. You would think they knew better. I mean do they really think I just popped in at the hairdresser's en route for my 7.55 am class? Or maybe they thought I got my kids out of bed early in the morning so they could style my hair for me.

DD tells me that the kids in her class are still asking.

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

I've gotten those before too. "your hair is long!"
    "did you know your hair is purple?" and my all time fav that actually got the guy kicked out of the store I was working at because my manager overheard was "does the carpet match the drapes?" I'd like to say that's the only time i've gotten that question... sadly, it's not.

My Etsy shop!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

When I showed DH my newest sig pic, he said "it looks like it's still braided! Look at that pattern." I told him it looks like braid waves, but he insisted that it looked like it was still braided. I don't know WHAT he was thinking.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/BSL/clsc
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia1013 View Post
    I've gotten those before too. "your hair is long!"
    "did you know your hair is purple?" and my all time fav that actually got the guy kicked out of the store I was working at because my manager overheard was "does the carpet match the drapes?" I'd like to say that's the only time i've gotten that question... sadly, it's not.
    Dont mean to hijack, but the colour is amazing. Do you mind sharing what your natural color is and what you use to dye it?