Page 524 of 537 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526534 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 5362

Thread: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Default Re: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Coworker: I don't see the point in growing your hair long if you're going to wear it up all the time.
    Me: [dead silence]
    Coworker: Unless that is the point.
    "I don't see the point in going to the gym/wearing nice underwear if you're just going to wear clothes over the top." "I don't see the point in cleaning your car if you're just going to close the doors/your house if you're not going to have people over or are going to close the curtains." Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    This happened to me last week, also with a coworker. But I replied with that I also like to wear it up and can't do the hairstyles I want with short hair. It's like most people think that it is a waste to wear long hair up?
    "...or maybe I grow it for me and not for you." *silent, challenging stare*
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Coworker: I don't see the point in growing your hair long if you're going to wear it up all the time.
    Me: [dead silence]
    Coworker: Unless that is the point.
    *palmface*
    I can't believe people sometimes
    The best way to maintain long hair is to wear it up, and there are many styles that are only possible with longer hair

Length
    26/Knee+/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

See, I find this question really illuminates a common cultural belief: that hair (often on a woman) serves a beauty purpose. When people think it’s pointless to wear it up, they imply that a) hair is more beautiful loose, and b) everyone has a right to see it, or else c) you should try to be seen as pretty by wearing it down.

I’d imagine if someone said “I keep it up for religious/cultural reasons,” or “I only wear it down for my SO,” some of the askers would be more understanding, but there’s still a perception that wearing hair down is normal, and an expectation that you would need a special reason to wear it up or covered.

I really like the phrase “I’m not here to decorate your world,” and for me, I wear my hair long because I like it that way, not because of the way it makes me look to others, which is a bit of an alien perspective to many around me.

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    "I don't see the point in wearing nice underwear if you're just going to wear clothes over the top."
    Oh, I have to remember that. That ought to get some interesting reactions!

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I think this misunderstanding about wearing the hair always up is linked to the fact that in the everyday life, I find, usually people wear their hair down on a daily basis. Where I live a lot of people have long-ish hair, and buns or braids are often a way to wear your hair when it doesn't look good down, or when it's dirty or when it's hot.
    Plus, for some people hair has a big aesthetic value in their appearance, as far as clothes or make up (for who cares about clothes and/or make up obviously) so it's not so immediate to think that other people can see hair in another way when you feel loose hair as a strong part of your look. Especially when loose hair is the average way to wear the hair.
    I myself feel very uncomfortable with my hair up. That's not me, it makes me feel messy and ugly and it doesn't suit me and my style in general. I'm wearing it up a lot lately just because I rarely leave home on this days and I just do the bare minimal.
    Obviously none should say other people how to wear their hair, I just wanted to share my point of view on this question.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    This happened to me last week, also with a coworker. But I replied with that I also like to wear it up and can't do the hairstyles I want with short hair. It's like most people think that it is a waste to wear long hair up?
    cestlavie, I believe that you're right. Most people think that it's a waste to wear long hair up.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    See, I find this question really illuminates a common cultural belief: that hair (often on a woman) serves a beauty purpose. When people think its pointless to wear it up, they imply that a) hair is more beautiful loose, and b) everyone has a right to see it, or else c) you should try to be seen as pretty by wearing it down.

Id imagine if someone said I keep it up for religious/cultural reasons, or I only wear it down for my SO, some of the askers would be more understanding, but theres still a perception that wearing hair down is normal, and an expectation that you would need a special reason to wear it up or covered.

I really like the phrase Im not here to decorate your world, and for me, I wear my hair long because I like it that way, not because of the way it makes me look to others, which is a bit of an alien perspective to many around me.
    Exactly... hence my "maybe it's for me, not for you" reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I think this misunderstanding about wearing the hair always up is linked to the fact that in the everyday life, I find, usually people wear their hair down on a daily basis. Where I live a lot of people have long-ish hair, and buns or braids are often a way to wear your hair when it doesn't look good down, or when it's dirty or when it's hot.
    Plus, for some people hair has a big aesthetic value in their appearance, as far as clothes or make up (for who cares about clothes and/or make up obviously) so it's not so immediate to think that other people can see hair in another way when you feel loose hair as a strong part of your look. Especially when loose hair is the average way to wear the hair.
    I myself feel very uncomfortable with my hair up. That's not me, it makes me feel messy and ugly and it doesn't suit me and my style in general. I'm wearing it up a lot lately just because I rarely leave home on this days and I just do the bare minimal.
    Obviously none should say other people how to wear their hair, I just wanted to share my point of view on this question.
    I mean, I suppose some people also think that if you have long hair, it's probably because you want to see/feel it long, so having it up defeats the purpose? Or they figure if you spend so much time growing/caring for it, you should want to show it off? It would be like wearing a fancy dress and putting a bathrobe over the top, I guess? I suppose I can understand that... the problem is, that assumes that there's only one reason to have long hair.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    scalp/50/???
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    I really like the phrase “I’m not here to decorate your world,” and for me, I wear my hair long because I like it that way, not because of the way it makes me look to others, which is a bit of an alien perspective to many around me.
    That's perfect
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I wore a braided cinnamon bun the other day and this girl said my hairstyle made me look like an Amish woman.

(a) Im wearing skinny jeans what the hell

(b) So what? Amish women have beautiful hairstyles, and even though Im non-religious I literally dont care if I look similar to someone from a certain religion. My religious beliefs or lack therof are none of anyones business.

Length
    19"/33"/54"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Recently did milkmaid braids to work and a co worker asked why I have roped my hair. . . 🤦*♀️