Page 3 of 541 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

I always take "your hair is long!" as a compliment, or at least an acknowledgement that I've achieved what I want.

Length
    34/36/???
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?"

I don't really have anything to add. I mostly get the "wow, your hair sure has grown!" or "wow, your hair just keeps groing!" comments from people I haven't seen in awhile.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20826&dateline=123778  7991

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

So far the stupidest one ive heard was after i dyed my hair from natural blonde to a dark brown. Everyone i saw sad "Wow your hair is dark!" uhhh duh thats what happens when you buy the box that says dark brown ?

People around here rarely go past shouldner and usually the longest is BSL so even though im not yet waist i get a fair amount of long hair comments. Just got one the yesterday from my neighbor when i was taking out my braid to comb and re-do.

Length
    bsl/waist/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Whenever I've gotten the "your hair is so long!" its always been in a tone of voice that makes it a compliment. I do sometimes get told "your hair is so red!", in a tone of awe, followed by "is that your natural haircolor?". I'm never sure what to say to the is that your natural hair color question. My hair is naturally red, but I do henna to make it a bit darker and increase the shine.

Slight hijack, why do people think its ok to ask someone if that's their natural hair color? There isn't anything wrong with it exactly, it just seems a bit odd that someone on the street I've never met before would ask me that. I've never asked anyone if their hair was its natural color.

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

The absolute most stupid comment I've ever received... there's no contest about this one. It's "your hair is down to your shoulders... it's pulling you down, if you cut it you can grow taller". I'm a few inches shorter than average, but how anyone can believe that my hair is the cause is beyond me.

I've also gotten a bunch of sexist comments like "men shouldn't have hair that long" and "even though it's so soft and shiny, you should cut it because I have a thing against men with long hair". Well, **** me, I had no idea I was your personal puppet...
    Last edited by Peter; May 30th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Torrin Paige View Post
    The one that annoys me is the "How did you get your hair so long?" Um, I didn't cut it. It's that simple. They always seemed so shocked that by not cutting your hair, it will grow. Amazing.
    This. I was asked a few weeks ago how my hair grew so long... I had to tell them I hadn't had it cut in over a year, and their expression about had me howling. "You don't cut your HAIR???" Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    I went to supercuts the other day for a trim. While she was cutting my hair, the woman asked 'Can you wash your own hair, or do you need someone else's help?'

Uhh, it's long, but it's not THAT long...
    Tell her that you have a band of gorgeous men in your home that are there for that purpose only.
    Back after a loooonnngg hiatus. 🌷Going Gray

Oh yes, and I forgot the incredulous "have you EVER cut your hair?" In this case I really do think they want me to say "no, I've grown it all my life" or that I have some sort of religious reasons for not cutting it...I always feel like I'm bursting their bubble when I tell them that from the time I was about 9 until about 18 or 19, it was chin-length...

I get annoyed by "how long have you been growing your hair?" too, but that's only because I hear it so much.

Oh, and this one ranks right up there "Why have your hair long if you wear it up all the time?"
    Yes, my mom asks me this. And I have to be honest with her: because 1. my hair is crap as far as quality and I can't wear it down and keep it looking good, and 2. this much hair gets in the way too much!
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    short/32.5/35
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I started a thread about the dumbest hair comment I ever got when I told someone I oiled ,y hair "you shouldn't do that, it's bad for it" Yeah my hair is approaching hiplength, is healthier, and i'm treating it badly?

Once when I had my hair in a longish pixie and BF had his past shoulder, we were in a chemist, and this old man took hold of my arm and shouted "YOU SHOULD HAVE THAT LONG HAIR, NOT HIM!!" I was so stunned I didn't know what to say, so I just said "yeah ok then" and rolled my eyes, what an utter berk!
    Lady Leporidę of Caerbannog in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12 in/33"/45 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Not necessarily the dumbest but the highly rude is perfect strangers/acquaintences telling me I should donate my hair to locks of love. This happens at least a few times a year.
    I don't see how people have the nerve to do this. (Sorry for the rant but its not nice nor do I look at it as a compliment)

Length
    baldi/8/36
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

When I was in Army basic training, our drill sergeants would always harass the Black females about our hair. (only us, of course) Mind you, the longest haired one out of the five of us had shoulder length hair. But whenever the drill sergeants would see one of us touch our hair, or when we were in the PX getting hygiene and hair items, they would always say something about "horse hair"- referring to hair extensions.
    "Don't you go trying to sneak some of that horse hair into your head"
    "Oh, are you fixing your weave? Your horse hair about to fall out? I don't know who you're trying to look pretty for."
    The thing is
    1. NONE of us had hair extensions.
    2. NONE of us even had long hair - like I said, the longest hair was shoulder length.
    3. My hair was in AFRO form. I wore cornrows and twists because it wasn't long enough to make a neat afro puff in the back of my head. So, seriously, if I'm going to wear hair extensions in basic training, where the most convenient style that conforms to Army regulations would be a bun...don't you think I'd get longer extensions so I wouldn't have to braid and twist for hours? We barely had time to sleep!
    4. But finally -

PLEASE find me a horse with an afro on his butt, so I can understand why these ignorant, racist drill sergeants thought I was wearing horse hair!
    Lady Caillech Bheur of the Endless Skies, OLHK
    Avatar is before I cut my hair. It's shorter now.