Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 8 Inch Hair Cut

Length
    15.75/15.75/24.5
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Opinions on a 8 Inch Hair Cut

Hi Everybody!

I am a really confused with what I should do with my hair, I am thinking about cutting it. Not because I want short hair now, but because I want it all one length. Both of my options have drawbacks. Cut it to shoulder length then just let it grow, or weight till I reach waist and cut it back to bsl. I love the length but I cant even do any of the styles i want to do because all of my layers stick out. I want to grow ultra healthy hair, but cant really protect it at the length I would be cutting to.

So I am just looking for all of your opinions or what you would do in my place. I have bsl hair that is gradually layered starting from my shoulders. If I cut I would probably cut it to my shoulders or a bit longer than that.

Default Re: Opinions on a 8 Inch Hair Cut

If you are eventually going to cut it anyway, I would guess that it would be less painful to cut now, while it is on the shorter side, rather than put in all the years to get to WL.

APL cut to SL is much more palatable than WL cut to MBL. Additionally, I would not want to spend years disliking my hair and counting down the time until I cut it. That's just me though and what I would do.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I would probably cut half the amt. (the 4") and see if in 6 months I wanted to cut the additional (4").
    Last edited by wintersun99; May 27th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I would trim my growth (or half of it) each month until it catches up. I wouldn't like losing so much length.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much difference an inch or two makes. Try a smaller cut, wear it around for a week or so, and then decide if you want to trim another inch or two. (This works best if you self trim/have a loved one do it, rather than going to the salon each time.)
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    BSL/TBL/CSL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I know this might sound a little nuts, but can you try to put yourself in both situations emotionally, as in pretending that you've done this one, then that one, and see which one would provide the most satisfaction with the least frustration? Or how about the middle of the road, and just take off a bit? Have you tried some do's that might hide the layers while growing out, and slicking the stick-outs with aloe? I think most here would agree, don't do anything drastic. When in doubt, don't.

Length
    neck/shld/APL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i

Can you do an in-between option, like going for regular trims of 1/4"-1/2" every few months, to let you keep the length while evening things up? That's what I did when I grew out layers from my short cut.
    May 2010

Length
    15.75/15.75/24.5
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    If you are eventually going to cut it anyway, I would guess that it would be less painful to cut now, while it is on the shorter side, rather than put in all the years to get to WL.

APL cut to SL is much more palatable than WL cut to MBL. Additionally, I would not want to spend years disliking my hair and counting down the time until I cut it. That's just me though and what I would do.
    No, I agree. Thats probably what Im going to do. Thank You!!

Oh, I added an ETA... what do you think of cutting only half the amt. the first time?

Length
    15.75/15.75/24.5
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by freznow View Post
    I would trim my growth (or half of it) each month until it catches up. I wouldn't like losing so much length.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much difference an inch or two makes. Try a smaller cut, wear it around for a week or so, and then decide if you want to trim another inch or two. (This works best if you self trim/have a loved one do it, rather than going to the salon each time.)
    Yeah. I would like to do that but the way my hair is cut, it would look realy awkward after a few cuts. Thank You though http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/layeringlonghair.gif

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

You could always do little trims... one inch here, one inch there... It will slow your growth down, but you'll eventually have a blunt hemline and you won't have to do a huge chop.

ETA: Well, criminy, I'm slow...

What if you did slow progressive cuts AND kept your hair up/confined so it wouldn't look 'bad'?
    Last edited by HairColoredHair; May 27th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Account Closed by Member Request

I want my hair to be all one length too. I waited until my shortest layer was shoulder length. I won't go shorter than shoulder and it was a little painful to cut now but it would have been harder if I had waited until my hair was much longer. I'd say cut only if you really know you won't regret it and leave your hair long enough to put up.