Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to wear your hair in a "professional" cut, which would you choose?

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Differences in "professional" haircuts

I hate professional cuts and plan never to get one. Lately though, I've had an interesting thought. I feel like longer haircuts that are fashioned to look "professional" are actually less attractive than bob haircuts, which can be VERY flattering if done right for one's face shape.

When shoulder-APL-BSL hair is very layered, straightened, and highlighted, it just gets that sterile look to it. I can't explain... like when the ends are layered too and it's all flipped and contrived to look shaped. On the other hand, a nice bob, even as short as upper jaw/below ears length, can be simple and classic and not scream "I'm trying to be professional." (I'm not including asymmetrical or heavily stacked bobs, because those aren't professional IMO.)

So, if someone forced me to get my hair done more professionally I would get a bob that hit below the chin and had just a couple layers for shape.

Anyone agree? I guess this is just a thinly veiled rant, it's just my opinion
    Last edited by Tangles; May 26th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: If you had to wear your hair in a "professional" cut, which would you choose?

I still think a French Twist or logroll is much more professional than loose hair. Bobs remind me more of Amelie than a CEO.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: If you had to wear your hair in a "professional" cut, which would you choose?

To me, the bob is one of the most awful hair styles of all time, maybe because it looks so hideous on my square to round face - who knows? I went to a wedding last summer and felt like I hadn't received the memo "all women are required to bob their hair". If I reallyreallyreally wantedneeded the job, I think I'd go for pixie. Easypeasy; wash, rub with towel, push into place with gel. Done for the day! Plus I could take up snorkeling again without fighting with the face mask straps tangling in my hair.

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I think if I ever did go short, it would be a short layered bob with sideswept long bangs. I've had that kind of hair before and it is easy to style it sleek and with a little flip under or up to look professional, and easy to put some product in to make it chunky and messy (in a good way) if I want to look fun after work.

Length
    54/69/66
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

I would love to be able to sport an elegant French Twist a la Seven of Nine.
    Dianyla | Extreme Haircare Blog | Photos
    IUD | MoonCup | MUM | HBI | TCDT | MNM!
    When's the last time you... Donated? | Contacted a Mod? | Read the Community Guidelines?

Unless specifically described as a moderation call, the above post represents my personal opinion as a member of this community, not as a moderator.

Length
    6"apx/32"/30"
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Wedge or Pixie have always been my cuts of choice as a shortie. Now I'm gonna go long again I dunno what I want! lol

Length
    pixie/WL/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I have a great hairstylist who cut my hair in what we both dubbed "the overgrown pixie," and I really loved it, especially since it was mostly functional, to get rid of all my dyed length, but also looked really cute. A coworker who rarely talks to me asked where I got my hair done because he wanted his wife to go there. Personally, I don't think it looked terribly professional, but I did have people asking if I was a new professor. If I ever felt the need to go short again, I would probably go for that.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

What's the longest we can have and still be "professional"?

I am not here to decorate your world

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I happen to think that long hair in a beautifully styled updo is very professional looking.

However, if I had no choice but to have shorter hair? I would have a bob or a pageboy. I can wear either style very well and as I would have them on the longer side, I would still have the option of ponytails and French twists.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Type
    1b/M/i/ii

I think long can look very professional up, but then again I'm biased toward long hair. If I cut my hair short, I'd do the bob type with wispy layers