Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comb when wet or dry?

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Question Comb when wet or dry?

Hello to the group.
    I've been reading & seen several comments about hair being fragile when wet. I always have a brush in the shower & while I have conditioner in my hair, I usually use the brush & gently detangle.
    Is this bad? Should I let it air dry & then brush once completely dry?
    What do most of you do? Brush when dry or wet?
    Long term henna head currently growing out my hair. Currently shoulder length. Goal, bra strap length.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Comb when wet or dry?

Well, I use a wide-tooth plastic comb in the shower. It's pink and chubby and has little plastic balls on the ends of the teeth. I basically do the same as you do, just with a comb instead of a brush. I think it's a little easier to break or stretch the hairs if you use a brush, so that's why people like to use a wide tooth comb instead. I use a brush when my hair is dry if it happens to be tangled, though.

Length
    Buzz/23/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I generally only comb when my hair is dry and never brush (I have wavy hair so brush = frizzy for me).

There are a few times when I have combed in the shower, but only when my hair was loaded with conditioner.

I am talking about wide-toothed combs, sorry I didn't specify that in my sentences above.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I have always brushed/combed (I use a tangle teezer now) after towel drying my hair. It's just so much more slippery when it's wet, I don't hit any large tangles at all since using a vinegar rinse. I also like to part it when it's wet, and I can't part it without combing it.

I have heard many times that you should comb when dry to avoid breakage, but if I wait until it's dry it always seems much more tangle-y?

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I comb right after my shower, usually. As long as you are gentle and don't notice a lot of breakage, you should be fine.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I never use brushes anymore - ever. Bad for the hair. And I don't use a comb in the shower, but wrap my hair in a towel after, and then gently comb out with a wide tooth comb after I've unwarpped my hair from the towel. Then I let it all air dry which takes a few hours but is worth the time invested.

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    I never use brushes anymore - ever. Bad for the hair. And I don't use a comb in the shower, but wrap my hair in a towel after, and then gently comb out with a wide tooth comb after I've unwarpped my hair from the towel. Then I let it all air dry which takes a few hours but is worth the time invested.
    Pretty much the same here, except I don't wrap my hair in a towel at all.

Length
    1/40/term
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I don't even own a brush anymore - I've got a couple of wide-toothed combs for detangling after it's mostly dry and a MP dressing comb (a C1 I think) for shining it up a bit when it's completely dry.

I would say - brushing in the shower....not so good.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's fine to comb hair when it's wet but don't brush it. (according to general wisdom, but do what you like; it's your hair)

I think it depends on the person. I comb gently when it's damp or wet, but I usually use a small amount of camellia oil when I do this. Everyone is different, so do what works for you.