Length
    short/short/30"

Default Straightening?

Is it shockingly bad for your hair?
    Growing out a Pob since March 2008
    I cone and I bleach

Type
    1c/M/ii

Yes. Made incredibly worse if your hair is bleached. Straightening sections of virgin hair on low heat isn't that bad.

Starting Point May '07.....19 Month Progress Jan '09

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakeblonde View Post
    It kind of depends on how it's done and how often. My stylist, and I do trust her, tells me that occasional straightening done very fast with a protective spray (which makes the iron glide easily over the hair), only one pass per section of hair, is relatively safe. Done not so fast, not with protective spray, repeatedly over the same section, and done often - yes, shockingly bad for hair.

Length
    bald/21/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakeblonde View Post
    Very true for me - from my experience it ruins ur hair - I think i like the natural look - whether straight or curly

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Probably the straighter your hair is, the less bad. It may be related to the number of passes/temperature that is needed for it to work, or it could also be just the more you fight against what hair wants to do, the more damaging it is.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

It can be if you do it everyday. I do it maybe once a week and only do one pass over each section on medium heat. I don't notice much damage. The type of plates your iron has makes a difference too. For example, I use a Babyliss Pro Titanium plated iron, which is much better for your hair than a metal plate flat iron. I would go with ceramic, titanium, or tourmaline for the least damage, and don't buy a cheap iron either.
    Last edited by shellblue1; April 6th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/MBL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

heat on my hair is the worst and it doesn't even make my hair look that much better than when I straighten in rollers without heat. It actually looks a lot better without heat. I don't know where the threads are but you can put a ponytail at the top of your head and use rollers to set your hair. I use the big ones to straighten my hair. when I straighten using this method it comes out nice and I always get compliments.

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Any heat for your hair be-it blow drying, curling, iron and what ever else is out there is not the greatest for hair.

Do I do it from time to time...guilty...I use heat products now and than. I grew my hair out, now I'd like to enjoy it. Taking good care of your hair will combat most damage if done in moderation. I will straighten maybe once a month, and make it last for about a week doing different styles with it.

If I'm going to go out, I brow dry it with a diffuser to enhance curls also.........I'm a single 44 year old and I'll be darned if I'm going to wear it in a bun all the time.

Length
    13/18/27
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

i used to straighten a little bit , since i slept after i showered so my hair always looked like garbage, but then i learned to shower in the morning and air dry and found no need for my straightener anymore =]

Length
    shdr/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Last edited by lacereza; April 24th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.