Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default So-called "happy hair tips"

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: So-called "happy hair tips"

What an interesting bunch of cartoons. I am not sure how they came about but...I wonder who thought them up. as for the one about cheaper brushes..WOW. And the cold water thing...okay that was a bad article, although the cartoons were cute. Too bad it was misleading.

Length
    neck/shldr/tb
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Hahaha! You'd swear that these people have never heard of COMMON SENSE. I thought it was quite comical. Especially the part about how there was no scientific evidence proving that shampooing your hair daily was bad for you.
    One of my curly hair idols!

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

rofl... I bet my scalp would LOVE for me to put mouthwash on my head. /not

Type
    2a/M/ii

wow. O_O no damage from blowfrying? I can surely say..that is not true. Along with many of the others. Perhaps this is more of their "opinion" rather then facts..
    Last edited by Magicknthenight; May 11th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

OK, I really do not like these either.

1. YES, you hair WILL clean itself after a certain period of time. Not only have I read articles of this happening, by someone that was not trying to sell a product, and who was a short haired male, but my substitute teacher, who just told me last thursday (May 7th, 2009), has a TB lenghted curly-haired friend, who did this, and it worked. Shampooing (AKA with synthetic detergents) strips a layer of our hair (sebum) that is SUPPOSED to be there! We didn't pop out of our mothers with shampoo in our hand, it is not meant to be! The only reason commercial conditioners were invented in the first place, was because during WWII, a shortage of vegetable and fruit oils, needed to make castile soap, the ONLY ACTUAL SOAP that is naturally occuring, so "they" started making synthetic detergents, which were cheap, and effective, yet carcinogenic and stripping, and thus they created conditioner to compensate. Castile soap, is created by the saponification process between an alkaline and an acid from a fruit or vegetable oil (fatty acids), creating what is called 'saponified oils', the most traditional being olive oil, the original castile soap, however, castile soap can be made with any other fruit of vegetable oil. Castile soap is the only naturally occuring foaming/lathering cleansing agent ever, originally made form soda ash (fire ashes - alkaline), and olive oil (fatty acids)

2. !!!! No "scientific evidence, nor physiological reason, why colouring hair makes it fall out or become thinner." That is such an asenine statement!!! OK, well, common ingredients used in hair dye/bleach are: Ammonia, peroxide, and chlorine bleach.

Ammonia is higlhy alkaline, opening up the hair cuticle, which helps the hair enter the medulla, peroxide helps with lightly lightening and lifting colour from the hair, usually used in oxidizing dyes, and chlorine bleach does the same, only very "effectively" and harshly, and is used to reach a very light colour usually.

3. I agree with them when they say that a shampoo (meaning sulfate or other harsh surfactant shampoo) will do just as good of a job with removing buildup, and keeping it that way, unless a silicone conditioner is used.

However, when they say no buildup actually occurs, that is just plain bull****. If you are using a hair product with hold, and/or that gives shine, they will most likely use PVP (polyvinylpyrrolidone) or other variations of this, which is essentially a liquid plastic, with carcinogenic and nitrosamine attributes, or they will contain any type of silicone, to give shine. If I rubbed vaseline in my hair (I have before, LOL) I would DEFINITELY have a build-up, or residue in my hair.

4. No disagreements

5. This is partly true, as long at the heat of the air being rushed throught the blowdryer is not exceedingly hot compared to your skin temperature, and you are not holding it directly to your hair, and you are not holding the 'dryer on one area of your hair for a long time, and you stop when your hair is dry, even better barely damp, then it will not cause any damage.

6. Cholrinated water is more likely to give a yellow-green tinge to your hair, plus damage, than the sun is. However, since grey hair has no protective melanin, the UV rays will damage hair much faster. Sunscreens, unless physical sunscreens (Titanium dioxide, and Zinc oxide) are chemicalyy based, and are carcinogenic, and have nitrsamine attributes. DO NOT USE CHEMICAL SUNSCREEN, YOU'LL BE DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD. The best thing, even better than sunscreen, of ANY kind (including physical), is to cover up with long sleeved, light coloured clothing, and wide brimmed, tightly woven hats, as well as sunglasses. But, don't cover up all the time, your body absorbs vitamin D throught your eyes, and you need about 20-30 minutes each day idealy of sunshine. The sun does not cause cancer unless you burn. The longest yopu should stay without protection is untill your skin turns a very lightly flushed pink. The sun's UV rays are at their most powerful from 10:00 A.M. - 3:00/4:00 P.M. These are idealy when you should be protected, or covered. Try and get your vitamin D outside of this time range, or right at the beginingm, or end of this time range.

7. If you read my article on the affects of acids and bases/alkalis on hair, it mentions the benefits the use of a cold rinse on hair. Cold, acidic, and soft water/liquids close the cuticle, which in turn, makes hair more reflective/shiny/lustrous, and soft.

8. I would not suggest using mouth wash on hair, as most contain alcohol, which would dry out and irritate your scalp more, and the ones not containing alcohol would not have much benefit either. Witch hazel would be good thing, as long at it is alcohol free. Usually all the witch hazel bottles you can purchase at the drug store contain high amounts of ethyl alcohol, which would aslo irritate, dry, and worsen your dandruff and scalp. Also, keep in mind that dandruff is not just a dry scalp issue, but also a fungal issue. The medicine in Head And Shoulders, zinc pyrithione, is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

9. ABSOLUTELY FALSE. ANY natural bristle, preferable Boar, due to its stiffness, and capability to penetrate the hair, are MUCH better for hair, not for detangling, but because it distributes our sebum from the roots on the scalp to the ends, and also smooths the cuticle, helping hair be moisturised, soft, and shiny. Again, we were not born with plastic, it was just not meant to be. However, due to plastic's smoothness, flexible bristles could be a good choice for hair, as long as that have no seams, and are coated or ball-tipped, preventing snagging.

10. Hair loss (alopecia), is affected by genetic, hormonal, health, stress, and nutritional factors. Diet, is just one of many things that will promote healthy hair, skin, bones, and nails, as well as an overall health and wellness. Besides all of that, our hair grows while we are sleeping, so while eating a healthy and balanced diet is a step in the right direction, this tip's direction as to giving a time range in when to eat is is kind of futile.
    Last edited by bjjowett1993; May 12th, 2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Extra informantion; more clear information; grammar

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Wow... if they didn't have that thing about diet, I'd've thought this was sarcasm or something. They're just so egregiously wrong.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

That was a pretty laughable article.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I read an article written by a trichologist in a magazine recently. It wasn't a "women's" magazine, and he wasn't trying to sell anything. He said there's no such thing as buildup, unless you don't wash your hair, in which case buildup is the least of your problems, poor hygiene the greatest. Ever stand in the bathroom while flushing the toilet, or been in a room with somebody sneezing or coughing? Germs all over you, including in your hair. Plain water doesn't get rid of them. Soap/shampoo or water do.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

No such thing as buildup, huh?
    Think of your face. You don't use a build-up remover to remove your make-up; you use a cleanser, or soap and water.
    Epidermis sheds rather quickly. Hair doesn't. Sheesh!

The energy to form hair cells diminishes four hours after eating a meal...
    Ummmm, hair isn't made of cells.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!