Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So-called "happy hair tips"

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: So-called "happy hair tips"

I think that for the average person who is not trying to grow their hair any longer than BSL, these aren't so bad. Some things that were vehemently disagreed with that I kinda see some point to...

The washing one: Okay, you don't have to shampoo daily, but... from my experience and from what I've read on this forum, there is no 'washing method' that doesn't work best when you do something to your hair on a regular basis. Whether you are scritching your scalp and thoroughly combing the sebum towards your ends, or using a detergent/soap to remove that oil, you're still doing something to help your scalp say clean. Look at nature, most animals spend half their time preening and keeping their coats/feathers nice and neat. Doing something to your scalp every couple of days is kinda important. If you stop grooming your hair it will get grody. I don't think grooming has to mean shampooing, but few people outside of our community are ever going to do anything more than shampoo to groom their scalp.

The coloring thing: In my experiences I lost oodles of my hair when I dyed it. However, I have friends who have no post-color shedding issues. I tend to think that this is really dependent on the individual. We have plenty of long-hairs on this site who color with conventional ammonia-laden dyes with no problems. If color works for you and you like it, use it! If you shed loads and you hate the smell, don't. edited: You do have to treat it extra nice though. It is damaged, and will be hard to keep from looking damaged past bsl-ish in my experience (I'm sure this varies from person to person).

ETA: I really have never noticed a difference in my hair after a cold rinse versus after a nice warm rinse so I don't bother. I figure the water on my hair cools off before my hair dries anyway, so it is sitting with cool water on it for some period of time. Why freeze when I don't have to?
    Last edited by teela1978; May 12th, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Length
    1inch/1inch/TB
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

How... Strange. A couple of those 'tips' actually made no sense at all. The one about dyeing not causing damage was a joke to me, I know from first-hand experience that no matter how careful you are in terms of avoiding overlapping applications etc of commercial dye, you're going to have hair that is damaged. I almost thought that the whole article was a joke at one point, the advice seemed so adverse to anything we've come to understand and apply here. Bizarre-ness.. Let's just all be thankful that we have a far better source of hair knowledge!!
    PIXIE ~ CHIN ~ CB ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WAIST ~ TB
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I particularly liked the part about stress being the leading cause of dandruff. If that were true, I'd be a dandruff-driven snowstorm.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Samikha View Post
    I particularly liked the part about stress being the leading cause of dandruff. If that were true, I'd be a dandruff-driven snowstorm.
    Werrl, if dandruff is caused by a fungal infection, stress is likely to be a factor in worsening of symptoms, as it is with any illness. Your immune system doesn't do its job as well if you're stressed...

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Werrl, if dandruff is caused by a fungal infection, stress is likely to be a factor in worsening of symptoms, as it is with any illness. Your immune system doesn't do its job as well if you're stressed...
    Sure, but I think that shampooing your hair every day, colouring it with harsh dyes, using ball-tip bristle brushes, washing with hot-hot water and never clarifying for build-up might make your dandruff worse too...

Length
    short/36,6/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Why do they tell all these wrong things ?o_O
    Last edited by Vivien'; May 12th, 2009 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Baaad spelling !

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Samikha View Post
    Sure, but I think that shampooing your hair every day, colouring it with harsh dyes, using ball-tip bristle brushes, washing with hot-hot water and never clarifying for build-up might make your dandruff worse too...
    From what I understand, actual dandruff is a rather uncommon condition, and usually people have dry scalps or hard sebum and mistake it for dandruff. I think. Anyone have some insight into this?

But really. This is the most ill-informed list I've ever seen. Ball-ended brushes are best? Blow-drying isn't damaging? It's like they came here and decided to negate everything we've been talking about.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    But really. This is the most ill-informed list I've ever seen. Ball-ended brushes are best? Blow-drying isn't damaging? It's like they came here and decided to negate everything we've been talking about.
    Exactly! So that way we go and buy more of their stuff.

What? Blow dryers are ok? As are harsh dyes? Let me at them! I will buy it all up and make more money for the people who put out these items and pay for someone to write these lies.

Always consider the source.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    From what I understand, actual dandruff is a rather uncommon condition, and usually people have dry scalps or hard sebum and mistake it for dandruff. I think. Anyone have some insight into this?
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Flakies =/= dandruff.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

That article was just plain weird!