Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine AND thick hair thread ^.^

Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Fine AND thick hair thread ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by may1em View Post
    I hate going to the store and looking at the hairtoy aisle and seeing stuff marketed towards "fine" and "thick" hair. Um, I have both, they're using "fine" as a euphemism for "thin." The haircare industry doesn't have any problem marketing stuff towards people with oily hair, so it's a bit mystifying whey they go for euphemisms with circumference.
    I see this a lot in advertising and it's very misleading. Thin hair is called 'fine', I guess because no one wants to think of their hair as thin..and so is very sleek straight hair, no matter how much of it there is, or the actual texture. Curly, wavy, or kinky hair is called 'coarse', even African hair which is usually so, so fine (and very delicate, it definitely can't withstand what coarse strands could).
    It does seem dumb, and you're right they aren't afraid to be direct when it comes to oily hair, giant pores, etc, so why all this tip-toeing around?

Just chiming in as my hair is neither thick nor fine (except in a few spots).

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Yes, finally a fine and thick thread!

What I don't like about it is that my hair is fine, so vulnerable and prone to breakage, but okay, I have plenty of hair.

I hate the tangles, fine hair and a lot of it --> a lot of tangles
    And it frustrates me 'cause where are you going to find something that's heavy enough to detangle, but not too heavy for my fine hairs.

And those little fine hairs can get everywhere! And when there are a lot of them, it's kind of hard to control them, especially when I do a braid.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by may1em View Post
    I hate going to the store and looking at the hairtoy aisle and seeing stuff marketed towards "fine" and "thick" hair. Um, I have both, they're using "fine" as a euphemism for "thin." The haircare industry doesn't have any problem marketing stuff towards people with oily hair, so it's a bit mystifying whey they go for euphemisms with circumference.
    Me too. I was trying to buy U-shaped pins for buns and saw ones for fine hair and ones for thick hair. I stood there, puzzled. I have both, which ones am I meant to buy?

Fine and thin are equated so frequently it drives me mad. "Add body to fine hair", no, thanks, I've got far too much body.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Can I join? I have been described as having fine hair but a lot of it my entire life.
    I agree with what others have posted that the pros of having fine hair are lovely softness, and lightness. However I also have the problem of having very fragile hair that seems to tangle just because it feels like it and it breaks whenever someone sneezes.

I find that my hair really likes deep treatments often, but does not do well with conventional conditioner, I have a detangler and that seems to work better.

Anyone have a favorite detangler that keeps tangles out for a while?

Right now I use non-sulphate shampoo, catnip, oils, and detangler, plus food stuff for deep treatments ( honey, maple syrup, ect..) anything else I can use to minimize the tangles, minus cones they make the tangles worse.

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA
    Length
    Short/70 cm/90 cm
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

I too have fine hair and a hell of a lot of it too! Yes tangles are a pain, and being susceptible to split ends too! A great idea to have a group for people with fine and THICK hair.

Length
    24"/30"/30"
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Hi! I'm another fine/thick (well the thick side of average..) checking in.

I also battle tangles and getting the right balance of conditioner. Too much and I'm stringy and overconditioned; too little and I'm dry and frizzy!

What are your favorite cone-free conditioners? So far I've tried a lot designed for dry, thirsty curls but my hair seems to prefer Suave Coconut even over the expensive salon stuff or the expensive organic/ natural stuff. Okay, so I should be thrilled that my hair prefers the cheaper stuff, but I do wish the Suave detangled a little better. What does your hair prefer?

Thanks for starting this thread!

Type
    1b/F/ii

I used to think my hair was thin until I stopped using shampoo and conditioner. Guess whatever I used either dried my hair out too much or was too oily. Ever since switching I can now say it is thick. I measured the other day and it was 4 inches!
    I'm using a shampoo bar with CA rinse right now. Kimberlily's defrizz spray works really well for detangling if I use enough aloe in the mix. It doesn't weigh my hair down too much or make it too oily.
    Haven't tried any masks or treatments really. Just too lazy or maybe I won't sit down long enough to do it?? What would you recommend for a treatment?
    Nothing eggy or mayonaisy please. I did try that once. It stunk up my hair and was horrible to remove.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Another signing in!
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Same here! I have very fine hair that is probably a III. Not sure, since it was an ii/iii when about 70&#37; of it broke off due to bleaching.

It's tricky to find products. I find ones marketed towards African American hair to work pretty well, since well, they do have fine hair. The products marketed towards "blonde"(my hair color) are often too heavy for my virgin hair.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Good thread! My hairdresser said I have "fine hair, but a LOT of it!" and it's wurly too - tangle city . I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

© GRD, 3 March 2007