Page 1546 of 1617 FirstFirst ... 54610461446149615361544154515461547154815561596 ... LastLast
Results 15,451 to 15,460 of 16164

Thread: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Default Re: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by EggLover View Post
    I've been slowly reading the posts here with deep interest. Thank you to everyone who has shared!

I'm so terribly undecided. I've had short hair for 5 years now and very much desire long hair. I KNOW the best way to grow out healthy and natural hair is to do NOTHING. Loving, nurturing, benign neglect! But as I recently posted on the henna forum, I just can't give up on being known as, and BEING, a redhead. I was born auburn red and it shaped my identity, but it darkened/dulled/browned in my late 20s/early thirties. I've been coloring now 5 years (I'm 4 and nothing delights me more than when I go out with my redheaded grandson and people say, "oh I know where he gets that hair." It's so much more than just a color.

But I realize this is image and perception, both from myself and others. To be honest I hate the upkeep of it all and wish I could be content giving up being a redhead. To be what I am naturally now. I wish I could embrace the dark brown that it now is. The little bit of natural hair I do have will shine somewhat auburn in the sun. But in the shade and indoors it looks so dark brown. It's like a different me than my mental image of myself.

I was about to start hennaing or at least henna glossing, but now I'm not so sure. It's such a HUGE commitment. At least with the demi-glosses I do they wash/fade out in 6 weeks. If I decided to give red up I'd at worst have just a faded look, not a drastic two-toned look.

I just don't know what to do! Can you all relate? What should I do?
    Check out the long hairs with dye thread! maybe you'll find some inspiration there and see what dyes people have been using.

I will say there is a lady at my work with amazing dark auburn hair, looks like professional dye, found out it was henna the other day.

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

Default Re: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittny View Post
    Here are comparison photos of my progess! The Left photo was taken in February 2020 and on the Right was taken in December 2022
    I've only had one trim between these two photos that cut off a total of 6 inches

Goregeous hair! 😍

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Here are comparison photos of my progess! The Left photo was taken in February 2020 and on the Right was taken in December 2022
    I've only had one trim between these two photos that cut off a total of 6 inches

Impressive!
    It's also lovely how with time the bleached and virgin hair actually blend more.

Length
    chin/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I really can't stand my bleached ends, but I also am not willing to chop my hair off again. Has anyone found success trimming half your growth every few months? I feel the trims are not keeping up with the damage.
    Chin | Shoulder | Collarbone | APL | BSL | Waist

Now growing for fun!

Length
    chin/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Beautiful hair!! I'm impressed you could hold on to the bleached ends so well. I do not have such patience...

Now growing for fun!

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

Quote Originally Posted by mariakatija View Post
    I really can't stand my bleached ends, but I also am not willing to chop my hair off again. Has anyone found success trimming half your growth every few months? I feel the trims are not keeping up with the damage.
    It seems to be working well for roseneaster I'm pretty sure that's what she does

Length
    BSL/WL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I felt the same way you did and only had one big trim in 2 years to get the worst of the damage off since my ends were literally breaking every time I brushed my hair. I think even 1-2 inch trims make a huge difference when it comes to bleached/damaged hair

Length
    chin/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    It seems to be working well for roseneaster I'm pretty sure that's what she does
    I felt the same way you did and only had one big trim in 2 years to get the worst of the damage off since my ends were literally breaking every time I brushed my hair. I think even 1-2 inch trims make a huge difference when it comes to bleached/damaged hair
    Thank you both for hope! I also cut off the worst of the damage a year ago but I don't want to cut off another 6 inches. I will just trim an inch whenever I can't take it anymore lol

Now growing for fun!

Thank you both for hope! I also cut off the worst of the damage a year ago but I don't want to cut off another 6 inches. I will just trim an inch whenever I can't take it anymore lol
    Yup, I’ve had great results doing dustings or 1/2” trims every 2-3 months. I’ve managed to gain more length this way throughout a year, as if I leave it for too long I end up cutting off much more to neaten it up. About a year and a half ago I had 5 inches cut off to get rid of the worst of the bleach overlap, and since I have grown it back trimming this way and it is so much healthier, still splits and breaks easily, but no longer a dusting of broken hairs all over me after a detangle. I still think about cutting all the bleach off probably once or twice a week, but I really don’t want to go shorter, I just get tired of how high maintenance the bleached parts are. I have about 6” of bleach on my nape section, and plan to do small trims until that section is all cut out, if I can maintain my patience and not just cut it off!
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Oops, last month I missed a few comments about my 2 year no bleach post! So thanks ylva and Diana Prince for your kind comments that I overlooked!

I made a 1 year collage (since I had a slow growth of 3/4” over the last 3 months) I wanted to see the steady progress I have actually been making longer term, considering I trimmed 1/2” in June, again in Sept, and again just now for Dec, I am really happy with my progress.

I managed to remember to wear the same shirt in all the photos, and same pants in all but one. Since they are 4 different locations due to moving followed by rearranging The bleach parts that are left still tangle worse than the regrowth, and are not as wavy, but are much healthier since joining LHC a year ago. I am definitely getting better at executing my desired outcome when trimming as well. Slowly but surely! About 2 more years to go of this 1/2” trimming out bleach each season until it’s all gone if I can maintain this strategy with patience.

Bleach-free hair by age 40
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th