Page 5 of 1616 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Growing Out Hair Dye/Henna Support and Measure-In

I have a small rant: About 99,5% of the hair compliments I get are about the colour, the HENNA colour I have. First I'm growing it out and second I was never 100% happy of the henna colour I got (it looks nice with picture taken with flash but it doesn't look like that IRL). I think if I ever get compliments again when the henna starts to be more and more grown out. Maybe I should add to my siggy that I'm growing my own colour?

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    I have a small rant: About 99,5% of the hair compliments I get are about the colour, the HENNA colour I have. First I'm growing it out and second I was never 100% happy of the henna colour I got (it looks nice with picture taken with flash but it doesn't look like that IRL). I think if I ever get compliments again when the henna starts to be more and more grown out. Maybe I should add to my siggy that I'm growing my own colour?
    I have the opposite problem i still want dark hair but im growing it out for various reasons. My family and friends have said "oh your going blonde i love it!" and it is so fustrating to be becasue i truly hate my color! I keep telling them its not staying as long as i can help it...

Length
    shave/short/waist
    Type
    3b/3c/F/ii

I'd like to join!

Hair history: I've been dying my hair in some form or other for close to 20 years! My natural hair color is med./light ash brown with a few "white highlights". About a year ago I decided to dye it black but grew tired of it after a few months so I stripped it with Colorfix and began to use henna.

At first the henna was wonderful...it repaired damage, added a nice red sheen, and left me with glossy, frizz-free curls. However, after several full head hennas, my color began to darken to a very dark purple-y color and my 3C curls started to loosen and become limp. Due to moving/life circumstances I was unable to henna for a period of about 5 months. When I did henna again (doing roots only so the length wouldn't get darker) I was left with 3-4 inches of red/auburn color at the roots that progressed to a dark purple/red color towards the ends. I've tried henna-ing my roots twice since then to deepen the color but I don't think they'll ever be as dark as the ends due to previous damage making them more porous.

So....a few days ago I decided to give up and grow it out. I may try an indigo gloss on my roots to tone down the orange-y color a bit or try to put some robert craig color on them (I was using RC color with success before I started henna-ing). I still haven't decided yet.

On the bright side, I guess new growth will be easier to measure now...I can just look at my virgin roots!

Goal: I'm really not sure yet. My original goal was to not trim and grow my hair to waist, but I might start trimming again to achieve BSL virgin hair.

Current Length: Just past BSL when dry.

Length of virgin hair: About 3 weeks worth of growth so it's barely noticeable.

Length
    24"/33"/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I would like to join in and put away my dye bottle and grow my natural color back in. I have only dyed it a shade or two lighter than the natural color but this is going to be very hard for me as I have colored as long as I can remember. I find it to hard to keep up with dying it anymore and I feel as if it is a losing battle. As of now I only have a couple of inches showing. I will wait to post a pic until it has grown out some more. A friend of mine said that once you get to the stage where you can pin it back where the natural color is only showing and most of the length is hidden in a bun it gets easier. I sure hope so but some words of encouragemnet would sure help a gal out.
    On my way to hip length

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hair history (how you ended up in this mess )
    I have experimented with color for awhile now and grew out a few shades like red and blonde before. I had virgin hair nearly 5 years ago and once my grays really started coming out, I thought I should hurry up and color them so I didn't look old. I stuck with the same color which was OTC Garnier 100% 501 box dye. I loved it!

Goal
    My goal now is to continue to grow out my color. I haven't colored since August 08'. I want my hair to grow really long and I think the healtiest thing for my hair would be to stop coloring it. It was getting really dry and crunchy too because I liked to pull it through to freshen up the length the last 10 minutes. It was a total hair killer!

Current length
    My current length is very close to BSL but not quite.

Length of virgin hair
    5"!!! WoooHooo!

Length
    Chin/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I want to join this thread! As it is the bane of my hair's existence, this old dye...
    I used to dye my hair a lot, lots of different colors -- about 3 1/2 years ago I dyed it three times in succession and that is what is on my poor tortured ends right now.
    My hair is at about hip length, but my virgin hair is only at armpit! I love that my hair is getting long, but HATE the last 7 inches or so. It is so damaged. But I can't bring myself to just cut it all off and wind back up at APL. So, I'm trying to baby it and just deal until I get hopefully to Classic, and then I can cut off my growth until it is all gone!! I was going to do this at waist but when I got there, I just couldn't. Heh. Nice to commiserate with everyone!

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I am another recovering colour addict.

My Story

I loved my hair colour growing up - medium (rich) auburn with a lovely copper tint in the sun.

To boost the colour I had it henna'ed (at a salon) a couple of times once I was working, but could not afford it once getting married. My hair was basically natural until I had my first child and then loads of my red faded away while I was pregnant.

Then began the cycle - colour at home 5 or 6 times till it got too dark and then to the salon for highlights 5 or 6 times till it got too light and back to the beginning.

In the midst of this I dyed it black (which I loved) but the root growth was too extreme, so I bleached it at home (twice!) and ended up with a bozzo clown orange haystack on my head! Back to the salon for a normal colour and back to the dark, highlight cycle again.

After finding LHC I stopped colouring for a while and then henna'ed a few times. However I loose hair in handfulls after colouring or henna'ing. I also found the henna went to a burgandy colour which I disliked intensly. I covered the henna with a semi-permanent ashy blond in May 07 and grew out my own medium brown, ashy pewter colour for about 15 months.

October 08 - Had a salon colour which I hated and it washed out after 1 wash and then the henna bug bit again when I read Nightshade's success story with mixing henna and cassia for a more copper colour. I had to try this and I have loved my colour. But my hair and scalp LOVE No Washing or at very most Water Only and these are not compatible with henna. So the decision has been made again to stop colouring and learn to love my own colour.

My roots at the moment look seriously blah next to the copper of the henna, but I have managed to speed up the length of the roots by doing a honey lightening and a lemon/conditioner treatment. These two seem to have lifted most of the last henna I did and as a result the roots blend better and appear longer than they are.

I will continue with the honey lightening and the lemon/conditioner (need to check I am doing this correctly) for the next few months and see how much of the henna I can reduce.

I am now very sorry that I started the henna again but I do not want to use any commercial dyes to try and blend the colours as my hair hates chemicals. I love my silver sparklies and look foward to seeing them all.

My Goal
    Classic Length virgin hair (with the possiblity of growing to terminal). I suspect that once I get to waist I will stay there and trim to remove the colour for a while - have not quite decided.

My Current Length
    About 2 inches short of waist

My Virgin Length
    About 1/2 to 1 inches
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Welcome to all the new comers!

I need some ideas: My cousing is getting married next month and I am going to the wedding. Now, what to do with my hair? My natural colour is now at the length it is starting to be noticeable, especially in bright sunny daytime wedding I am sure my roots will be quite visible.

Usually it's only older women who wear hats at weddings in Finland so that's not a route I want to take. I would like to make some big bun at the nape or a bit higher so it would be visible from the front. Other idea would be leaving it down and wrap a long thin scarf as a hairband. Then I have read french/dutch braids would be good to hide the roots, but I find then a bit everyday style, at least the basic 3 strand style, and I would need to start them from very close to front hairline, I guess, to get the most of it's hiding ability? But I don't think it suits me well to start them from the front, I look better if they start from crown area or so.

Any ideas, feedback???

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    shldr/38"/long
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Hi, this sounds like the perfect thread for me!
    Hair history (or, how I ended up in this mess): Well, you see, my hair is very very dark brown. Some well-meaning friends have told me it looks black, but I know better, especially when compared to my mother's beautiful pitch-black hair. So, all my life I have wished my hair was any color but boring old brown (although, since coming to LHC and seeing so many lovely pictures of healthy and well-cared for hair, I am beginning to see the beauty in brown ).
    Starting in grade school, I colored my hair, starting with "chunky" blonde streaks, and moving on through red box dyes (luckily I never found henna! I eventually stayed away from red because of the fade) and finally settling on dying my hair black with blonde streaks (to be covered with temporary, unrealistic colors) most of the way through high school and my first year of college. Yes, every time I dyed my enire length black... it never occured to me that I was damaging my hair, I thought I was just making it blacker. I also bleached the entire streaks every time, too (although I did keep the black/blonde bits separate).
    About 3 years ago I simply became too lazy to continue with the dye and bleach (besides, the bleached portions were a terrible orange when the other color faded... eww, not good with black hair) and began growing my hair out. Strangely, the hair that initially grew in was lighter than my natural hair color, with much stronger red/orange highlights as well (my natural hair has almost no red highlights). This reddish-brown portion of my hair is also very dry and easily damaged, and seems to exist for 3-4 inches in between my remaining black ends and my very dark brown "virgin" growth (I cut out the bleached bits... no saving those). I don't consider the reddish-brown part virgin because it seems to have been clearly damaged by the chemicals I was using on my hair; it is in fact more delicate than my black tips. Amazing, the things those chemicals can do to your hair, huh?

Goal: My current goal is just to maintain my length while growing out the damage... both the black and the reddish-brown. Then, I am thinking of at least classic, maybe mid-thigh.

Current length: 34.5", which is about hip-length on me.

Length of virgin hair: It's hard to say for sure... with all the differing rates of growth and my subtly multi-colored hair. But the true, dark-brown virgin hair seems to go to somewhere between shoulder length and armpit length.

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

After completely growing out colored hair and leaving it natural for a while, I got bored again, and found myself fantasizing about green and purple hair. At the new year I dyed my hair green and visited the UK. When I came back I dyed my hair magenta. I soon tired of the damaged ends and constant touch-ups so I hennaed over the faded magenta. You can see where I haven't bleached pretty clearly, but the henna over makes it not so bad looking. I can still see magenta and green tinges in my hair here and there lol. Now gonna continue the hennaing. One day I want epic hennaed hair like Nightshade's.