Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found out the problem with my scalp, but the doctors don't believe me

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Found out the problem with my scalp, but the doctors don't believe me

About a week ago I posted a thread where I had a "spazzing" moment about my hair loss and the state of my scalp. This made me do some research and as it turns out . . .

I have a massive candida overgrowth problem in my entire body, particularly on my scalp.

Out of the 70 most common symptoms, I have 65 of them. Given time, I would probably have all of them, (except for impotence and prostate problems obviously.) So I rushed out and got some Monistat and what do you know, my scalp is getting less crispy and when it does, large flakes come off revealing soft smooth scalp underneath. Its a slow process but, for the first time in over 6 months, I have progress!

The bad news is, I went to the doctor and she said its highly unlikely that I have a candida problem in my whole body because I am not an immuno-compromised person. Which is funny because I do have Celiacs disease, which totally compromises your immune system, especially when you eat too many carbs, (like I did before I found out I had Celiacs.)

Oh yeah, the real kicker about going to the doctors office was that they sent in an Osteopath (doctors of bones) to diagnose a possible fungal infection. She was very rude and enjoyed ignoring my symptoms and research.

To make a long story longer, I went to the local health food place, bought some Probiotics and some Grapefruit Seed extract with extra Zinc and Oregano oil. Its day 4 and I feel better. From what I've read the first 2 weeks are hardest because the fungus is dying off and releases toxins which make you feel like crap. (The preverbial getting worse before it gets better.) But yeah, finally found out whats wrong. Thanks doc.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Found out the problem with my scalp, but the doctors don't believe me

Good that you are getting the problem fixed by your own means Quite unbelievable how doctors sometimes treat their patients.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Default Re: Found out the problem with my scalp, but the doctors don't believe me

Hey, looks like you'll get the problem taken care of and get extra hair growth/thickness on the side!

I've found that most doctors prefer patients who don't think for themselves. It takes hard searching to find one that'll actually listen and humbly reply with, "That's a good idea, lets look into it some more". (Thankfully I've been blessed to discover a couple.)

Hope you feel better soon!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

What you say makes sense to me!

I am allergic to yeast/candida according to testing done by my allergist six months ago.
    I had long suspected yeast problems, but no doctors take it seriously.

I am so prone to thrush, yeast infections, fungal nail infections. I have also lost 2/3 of my hair volume over the last 20 years. Only recently did I begin to connect it to the candida, when I began using Monistat(an antifungal)on my scalp, which I learned about here at LHC.
    I am actually awaiting results of my celiac blood test, but at the very least I am gluten intolerant.

I often suffered from sore scalp(but no flaking), which went away when I used Monistat.

I started a Candida thread on the Health and Body Beautiful forum a few months ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=16460

I am currently fighting a yeast infection, due to a course of antibiotics.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Good for you for persisting with your own research.

I know it's not always the case, but quite clearly you have diagnosed yourself well.

I'd be concerned that you doctor doesn't have your notes mixed up with someones; once my mum found out her sister's notes had been mixed in with hers, so they were factoring a past head injury in while treating her for something. But that hospital visi was my aunty.

If they don't know you have a very related condition I'd get it checked out. Don't we have a right to see our notes now, with the Freedom of Information Act?

Anyhow, now you know what's better you and your hair should be thriving in no time, and not the candida!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

I'm glad to hear you have everything under control. I dont think all Dr act that way but i do think most think because they went though SO much school they much know more. The fact is it's your body, you know what's going on.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

That's terrible! I bet the itching is dreadful. I know that dandruff is caused by a fungus as well, but it sounds as if yours is a different fungus. The monistat worked, so that's great!

Can it be related to celiacs disease? Is there any other medical person you can talk to?

Glad you found an answer though!! And that it's clearing. what a relief!!
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Kudos for doing your own research and solving the problem yourself. Traditional doctors are so closed minded about self research and treatment. I'd give the doc the boot and spend my time at the local health food store. It holds more solutions to illnesses than most people realize.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I bet your hair would love coconut oil - and your tummy would too. Monolaurin, which is the monoglyceride of coconut oil, was part of my candida treatment.

I agree: fire the doc. Look for a doctor who trusts you to know your body. And check at the HFS too.

I also took garlic (raw, and I still do; as well as garlic oil) and pau d'arco (a big South American tree related to catalpa which is also called lapacho, taheebo, and other names).
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm sorry going to the doctor wasn't helpful at all - and I can't believe how rude they were to you!!! You'd think they'd appreciate someone making their job easier, instead of ignoring your concerns and being a know-it-all!

But I'm glad that you feel confident that your problem is able to be cured by your own methods, and that you know what to do in this situation! I'm pretty sure I'd just panic until the problem was beyond me. It's great that you're able to handle the situation. I hope everything goes well for you!
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights