Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard or soft water?

Length
    15/16.5/waist
    Type
    1c/C/ii

Default Hard or soft water?

How can I tell if my water is hard or soft? I want to try using Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo, but I have heard it won't work well with hard water. I have no clue if my water is hard or soft, is there a way to tell?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    waist/29/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Hard or soft water?

Boil some in a boiler or a metallic kettle. If you see after boiling white stains in the kettle the water is definitely hard. Another thing that shows if the water is hard is how long it takes to boil. Soft water tends to boil sooner than hard ( that's why when we make pasta we boil first the water and then we put the salt in )

Also if you have hard water you can know because it often leave white stains on water taps and in the shower, and it's easy to see if they're in metallic.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Calling your water department is the best way to find out for sure. For a general idea, though, check out this map.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxen View Post
    Calling your water department is the best way to find out for sure. For a general idea, though, check out this map.
    Flaxen you are the best

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    Flaxen you are the best
    Thanks!

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Would well water with alot of calcium be considered hard water? I am guessing it is calcium. It leaves behind a white powdery residue that hardens in large amounts.

I smileys!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Yeah, water having lots of calcium or magnesium is the definition of hard water. If it leaves white deposits on your glasswear, you have hard water.

Like Flaxen said, your water department will know, if you have city water. Another option is that a lot of the water softener companies (Culligan, etc.) would love to come test your water for you. They make a little show of it, and then try to convince you to buy their stuff. (You might decide you want a softener, but if you can stand the spiel for a while, they tend to do it for free.)

If nothing else, go ahead and wash your hair with Dr. Bronner's. As it says, dilute dilute dilute! And keep some vinegar and a big cup (like a 32 oz fast food plastic cup) handy. If your hair feels awful after using it, your water's too hard to use Dr. Bronner's alone. Put a splash of vinegar in your big cup, add water, and drench your hair with it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Quote Originally Posted by LHGypsyRose View Post
    Would well water with alot of calcium be considered hard water? I am guessing it is calcium. It leaves behind a white powdery residue that hardens in large amounts.
    Yes And perhaps you don't even have to call your water department, 'cause you can often find that information on their home page.

Length
    13/25/waist

google your region I have hard water :S