Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braids CAUSING splits?

Length
    18/35.5/39
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Braids CAUSING splits?

Hi everyone,

I know that the general advice for hair care is keep it tied up or back - braids, buns, rolls, all considered 'protective' styles. Compared to letting it fly free I would generally agree, but I seem to be experiencing the opposite with braids.

I usually bun my hair 24/7 but it's getting too bulky to sleep in and certainly won't fit under a helmet (which is suddenly critical now that I'm learning to cycle). So, I started french braiding a bit more and letting it hang down half the time, rather than bunning or flipping the braid up.

However, in the last month I've noticed an incredible increase in splits and white dots at the tips and further up the shaft within the past month or so, all the way down my length. I only changed my styling habits in the last couple of months and had no other routine change. The ends are feeling quite tangly and horrible and S&D takes a couple of hours each time!

Has anyone else experienced this? Might braids not offer enough protection when all the shorter hairs stick out from every bump?

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: Braids CAUSING splits?

How long have you been cycling for? That is, could the splits be due to the helmet instead of the braid?
    Growing my hair back out after some much-needed experimentation and with a color I love!

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

If you are just leaving your hair braided and exposed to the elements while you are out riding, then I would bet on that being the main culprit. As far as sleeping in a bun..ouch!

I smileys!

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I don't cycle or wear any kind of helmet. But I tried braiding my hair every night for sleeping for a couple of months, but had to abandon the practise because of tangles and splits. I think rubbing the hairs against each other is damaging, especially for my relatively fine hair.
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    20"/47"/64"
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Talking Re: Braids CAUSING splits?

I was wondering if you had considered a netted clip to protect your hair while cycling. Or something that would keep it contained like wrapping it in a scarf to protect it from the wind.

Just a thought I had.

Length
    18/35.5/39
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've only been cycling for about an hour a week for the past month or so (I'm still getting the hang of it!) and I wear a bandana under my helmet to prevent rubbing, while the rest is either tucked down my shirt or wrapped into my scarf around my neck. I had a kid pull my braid while I was still putting on my helmet on the first day (before I had even sat on a bike!) and I thought, "right, that's going to be put AWAY out of harm's reach!"

My hair gets horrible splits and breaks when I braid it. It's very fine and doesn't stay in a tight braid well. So I don't do it anymore. What worked better for me when I used to ride motorcycles was just putting a bunch of those cloth hair ties down the length of my hair.

It works fine, but everyone might seem to want to comment on it more than usual. Don't know why that is.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

what do you think is best to avoid damage... tight braids or loose braids?? im also trying to figure out whats the best thing to do with my hair when i go to bed..
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Realistically, buns will provide protection. That's what I wear most of the time.

Many wear braids, but I don't understand it. Loose or tight, I mean, the sheer act of chafing strands of hair across one another and then tightening it so you can tie it off ... I get clear damage when I wear it like that. And then during the day - the chafing as your braid constantly rolls and moves up and down against your back - at the end of the day, I literally have thousands of hairs poking out of the bumps in my braids because of the chafing.

I do suppose it depends on hair type. Perhaps thicker hair doesn't react this way? I'm certain that some do have great success wearing braids.

As far as nighttime, I wear a silk sleep cap or at least wear my hair in a really high bun. I'm quite used to it so neither bothers me anymore.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I just posted about this the other day. Every time I braid or put my hair up (my buns are very messy and not to LHC standards, but they are all I can accomplish) I get more tangles, and more splits and bends, it seems like.

other people responded that it might have to do with hair type, and that I should comb my hair before putting it up. Maybe you already do this, or maybe it is obvious, but I thought finger-combing was enough.

the other thing that seems to help me is having hair that's better 'lubricated' before braiding. Because of this I tend to only braid very 'dirty' or heavily oiled hair. Clean hair I tend to wear down both to enjoy it and to keep the ends from more kinking.

However, as a daily bike rider I understand the need to keep it out of the wind, too. What about braiding it loosely and tucking it into your collar or scarf? This 'do is easier on my hair at times, I don't get braid 'bumps', and I can take it out when I get where I am going.

hth!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii